Why do YOU collect Vinyl?

Why isn't sound quality a reason???

I enjoy the sound of my records more than the same ones I own digitally or on CD.

Also, it's not like every single album has a 24 bit FLAC release....

There is no difference if they were both recorded digitally, except that the vinyl will sound slightly "worse" than a crisp mp3. 

Analog is another situation. 

There is no difference if they were both recorded digitally, except that the vinyl will sound slightly "worse" than a crisp mp3. 

Analog is another situation. 

Not necessarily. The mastering can differ on each format, even if it's recorded digitally (Purity Ring's Shrines is a recent example). In addition, they can master in the digital domain different for each format. Case in point, Random Access Memories was recorded all analog, then transferred to digital hi-res files for mastering, then mastered to each format. That's why the vinyl sounds different than the CD or hi-res download. 

But I'd agree with your general point, if it's the same mastering then the CD will sound better without the vinyl format's colorations. It doesn't mean that one can't buy vinyl for sound quality in 2013, specifically people who have invested a lot more money into their vinyl rig than their DAC. 

Not necessarily. The mastering can differ on each format, even if it's recorded digitally (Purity Ring's Shrines is a recent example). In addition, they can master in the digital domain different for each format. Case in point, Random Access Memories was recorded all analog, then transferred to digital hi-res files for mastering, then mastered to each format. That's why the vinyl sounds different than the CD or hi-res download. 

But I'd agree with your general point, if it's the same mastering then the CD will sound better without the vinyl format's colorations. It doesn't mean that one can't buy vinyl for sound quality in 2013, specifically people who have invested a lot more money into their vinyl rig than their DAC. 

Ding Ding Ding.

Guest Secular Haze

You can't tell, but when I liked this post, I liked it a lot harder than normal.

I like, like it. Like, shirtless thumbs up Ry Toast like it.

Haha, awesome!

I'm sitting around after a sweet Friday post gym session spinning some records and downing some brews so I'll entertain this thread.

I slowly got into vinyl around 99 after I had graduated high school.  A good friend of mine had a turntable and I'd go over and he'd always play records and I thought it was cool so I started going to record stores with him and I was hooked.  I had a vague interest before that and bought a few albums at metal fests when I was 16 or 17 but didn't really have a table to play them on at that point until I discovered my parents old Technics from the 70's.  I'll never forget buying my first record.  It was Dimmu Borgir - Stomblast on purple wax.  Of course I still have it.  You'd have to yank that shit out of my cold dead hands before I ever let it go.

Over the years I've amassed quite a few records, 2,500+ and growing.  Bought and sold collections, traded up and gotten rid of stuff that I had lost interest in.  I love vinyl for so many reasons.  People can scream and yell that other versions sound better digitally at 8,000,000 MB, FLAC, or some shit.  I don't know, obviously.  Computers are way beyond me and I could care less.  To me, nothing sounds better than setting a needle down on a record spinning at 33 or 45 rpm and letting the good times roll.  It forces you to listen to the entire album in the track listing that the artist intended.  Personally I don't think anything else sounds close to the experience you get listening to a record.  Plus you get full size artwork, etc.  I honestly feel sorry for people who don't listen to records and don't understand it, but that just leaves more records for me!  Music is a massive part of my life so to me it's the best way, the most personal way.  If only there was a way to install a record player in my car without it skipping I'd be set.  One of these days......one of these days. 

On a closing note, there is no better high than leafing through records and having that oh shit moment when you find something that you don't have, haven't thought about in forever, but at that moment it's sitting in front of your eyes and it's yours.

I'm always interested in hearing people's answers. If you collect a lot of contemporary vinyl, your answer surely isn't sound quality - because most albums are recorded digitally these days and sound, technically, better as files on your computer. Of course no one will argue the merits of classic vinyl sounding better, though.

This is wrong. Digitally recorded music sounds better on vinyl than it does on CD or mp3. Vinyl does a better job reproducing digitally recorded music than do CDs and mp3s.

I buy records for two reasons, to listen and to collect. Most of my records are for listening. But there are about 5 bands that I "collect" such as The Misfits whose records are all-out awesome, a challenge to buy, but quite rewarding. 

This is wrong. Digitally recorded music sounds better on vinyl than it does on CD or mp3. Vinyl does a better job reproducing digitally recorded music than do CDs and mp3s.

This is wrong as well :D

Questhate pretty much nailed it. It's impossible to generalize, there are so many factors that influence the end result that practically every release is unique in that regard. A digitally recorded song can sound better on vinyl than on CD. An analog recording can sound better on CD than on vinyl. And vice versa on both. But strictly theoretically speaking, If you have a recording that was done digitally every step until the actual master cut, vinyl cannot do a better job, because it will introduce it's own inherent problems/drawbacks that digital reproduction doesn't have. Also, speaking in terms of budget, the best digital recording will most likely sound better through a $1k DAC than the best analog pressing through a $1k table/arm/cart/phono combo. Analog has the potential to reach heights currently unreachable by digital, but at a premium.

At the end of the day, it's always a gamble.

I got into vinyl because I found it very interesting, very tangible, much more than CDs. I always had a fetish for the visual aspect, the art and the packaging of the stuff I like, and vinyl was perfect in that regard.

After a while I started to hate vinyl, because most of my records sounded worse than mp3s of the same albums, even though I invested much more into the analog rig than the digital. Then I realized that it's not the format at fault, but the people behind those recordings. That's how I learned that buying a vinyl record isn't always the best option, but it can be. I also never really liked the playback imperfections, and for a while I was sure that I will not be able to get over this. I did, partly.

Lately I realized that there is one big advantage, and the reason that I'll continue to buy vinyl. It gives me an option, a choice. I can always decide how I want to listen to my albums. I can choose between both experiences and go for the one that suits me best at that particular moment. The majority of vinyl releases include a digital version as well, so I can even choose between the two legally. So having the ability to experience my favorite recordings in two very different, very distinct ways is reason enough.