Ever have a lucky day?

I had posted in a merch swap group on Facebook, that I has looking for some Thrice vinyl, and this guy messaged me saying he'd sell me Major/Minor (Mint Condition) for $55ppd, and I thought "That's a great price! I should take it since it runs for around $80 on discogs", then suddenly in the middle of my current conversation, another dude hits me up, saying he'd sell his unplayed Major/Minor for $25ppd.

Obviously, I chose the latter. Consider myself to be pretty lucky! Now I'm the proud owner of Major/Minor!  :D 

What were some your lucky, last minute finds? 

posted this in another thread, but why not.

last week, i got promoted and decided to celebrate. went to my local store where i had a bunch of records on hold, and picked those up. got $10 off for filling up my punch card unexpectedly. then i went across the street and bought another record at that store.

when i was done there, i stopped into the consignment shop where i dropped off a bunch of clothes a couple months ago. there i had a balance that was within the dollar to what i'd spent on 8 records that day.

last week, i got promoted and decided to celebrate. went to my local store where i had a bunch of records on hold, and picked those up. got $10 off for filling up my punch card unexpectedly. then i went across the street and bought another record at that store.

when i was done there, i stopped into the consignment shop where i dropped off a bunch of clothes a couple months ago. there i had a balance that was within the dollar to what i'd spent on 8 records that day.

That's awesome

One time my friend from out of town came up for our annual wine challenge. We were having a lot of trouble finding a bottle of Night Train. While I was at work that day he drove around town and managed to score a bottle at a creepy gas station! Sounds great, right? It gets better. We went to Taco Bell before the challenge and it had one of those games where if you spin a coin down to the bottom platform you get a free taco. He dropped a dime in and wouldn't you know it, it just settled nicely onto that bottom platform with no manipulation required. The cashier not only gave him a free taco but she gave me one as well. I know you are thinking this can't get any better but believe you me, it does. As the coup de grace on unluckiness, we went to Publix to get some pre game snacks. Full variety cheesecakes were on sale for $6.99! What a steal. When we went to ring up though, it was pricing at $12.99. However, at Publix they have a rule that if something rings up at a price different than advertised, you get get that item for free.

It was the best and luckiest day ever.

I had posted in a merch swap group on Facebook, that I has looking for some Thrice vinyl, and this guy messaged me saying he'd sell me Major/Minor (Mint Condition) for $55ppd, and I thought "That's a great price! I should take it since it runs for around $80 on discogs", then suddenly in the middle of my current conversation, another dude hits me up, saying he'd sell his unplayed Major/Minor for $25ppd.

Obviously, I chose the latter. Consider myself to be pretty lucky! Now I'm the proud owner of Major/Minor!  :D 

What were some your lucky, last minute finds?

I wish something like this would happen to me for Alchemy Index... Maybe one day :(

One time my friend from out of town came up for our annual wine challenge. We were having a lot of trouble finding a bottle of Night Train. While I was at work that day he drove around town and managed to score a bottle at a creepy gas station! Sounds great, right? It gets better. We went to Taco Bell before the challenge and it had one of those games where if you spin a coin down to the bottom platform you get a free taco. He dropped a dime in and wouldn't you know it, it just settled nicely onto that bottom platform with no manipulation required. The cashier not only gave him a free taco but she gave me one as well. I know you are thinking this can't get any better but believe you me, it does. As the coup de grace on unluckiness, we went to Publix to get some pre game snacks. Full variety cheesecakes were on sale for $6.99! What a steal. When we went to ring up though, it was pricing at $12.99. However, at Publix they have a rule that if something rings up at a price different than advertised, you get get that item for free.

It was the best and luckiest day ever.

tumblr_lmnjc4sgt91qhlz98.gif

A friend posted a list of records on facebook that he wanted to get rid of.  He listed Brand New - The Devil and God on white, and Touche Amore - Parting the Sea first press white.  I said how much, he said 10 bucks a piece.  $20 for both, no shipping.  Couldn't believe it.

A friend of mine randomly told me that he had a copy of Dashboard Confessional - A Mark, A Mission, A Brand, A Scar collecting dust in his garage.  I said how much, he shipped it to me for free.  Ridiculous.

A guy told me he'd sell me a copy of 2 Ninety Pound Wuss records for $20, as well as some MxPx 7".  He shipped it priority, which was like $14, and decided to throw in a copy of MxPx - Life in General for free.  Unreal.

Someone on facebook told me he had some old tooth and nail records I might want, and he thought of me when he was cleaning some stuff out.  He told me he would sell me the 12" for $10, the 10" for $8, and the 7" for $5.  There were a bunch of records included in this deal, but I was pretty happy about these prices when it came to getting copies of Pedro the Lion - Whole EP,  Starflyer 59 - Gold, MxPx - Teenage Politics, MxPx - Life in General, MxPx - On The Cover 2x10", and a whole bunch of 7".

I found a mega rare Officer Negative 7" on ebay for $10.  I won it with no one else even bidding, and the record didn't show up after a month, even though it was confirmed it was at the post office.  I told the guy, he felt bad, refunded my money, a week later, it showed up perfectly fine, and I didn't have to give the money back.  Total lucky day.

I had wanted a copy of Further Seems Forever - The Moon is Down for quite some time, and someone finally support my search, and gave it to me for only $80, which I couldn't believe.  Still the most I've paid for a record.  Godsend.

I've had a lot of lucky days this year, and I'm extremely grateful for every single one of them.

I happened to find Major/Minor at a nearby Hot Topic that is known to get especially solid HT releases. Saw it there when it was about to completely sell out. Couldn't leave it there so I grabbed it. A good bit of luck was about 2 years ago I got Anberlin's New Surrender from some random search on elusive disc when it was out of print, thus proving, it was not such an elusive disc.

A record shop across the street from a record shop?

where do you live - Oak Park, IL?

Buddy of mine came home from a garage sale with a bunch of vinyl from bands he knew I liked. Turns out he had found OG copies of At The Drive In - Relationship of Command, Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets, and Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends. He paid $5 per record.

Marry that man.

i was given a first press of tell all your friends for free. i'm still puzzled by that one

A record shop across the street from a record shop?
where do you live - Oak Park, IL?

it's in northampton, ma. there's been a used shop there for years, and a newbury comics went in literally across the street a few years ago.

Onetime I went to Philly and spent a long time during the car-ride talking about the first Scream LP. I had been looking for it for awhile and really wanted to buy one. We get to South Street and the first record store we go onto has it on the wall. Not only that, it was reasonably priced. After I bought it I pulled out the insert and record in the car and found a bunch of ads and old flyers that the original owner must have stuffed in there. It was pretty cool.

I found 808 & heartbreak in damn good condition for $10 at a record store in Cincinnati, I was thinking "why not?"

I was just starting out my record collection so I had no idea how much it was worth after market

holy shit I didn't know it was worth a lot either.  I need to keep my eyes open for this!