Looming Federal Government Shutdown

We're a country with a mascot of a bird that looks like he cares too much about PE what did you expect? Like seriously, our country is ran by a bunch of old fucks who can never agree on anything, it's so annoying and the rich just get richer while the poor get poorer go look at a chart of the nation's wealth, this country pisses me off so much, and don't even get me started on the education system, and lack of separation of church and state. I swear Canada is like a nice apartment over a vapid meth lab.

P.s. let's keep this moving to Canada thing on the DL we don't want all the fucks who ruin this country to come with us do we?

Canada won't accept you.

We can go in for up to 4 unpaid hours to prepare for the shutdown. I have heard people talk about furlough letters, but we have not received info stating as such. A few people were "excepted" and still get to work, but everyone else no matter hard money, soft money, interns, post-docs, etc. Can't show up to work. However, some contractors can telework if arrangements have been made.

We are still crazy busy and this puts a definite hurt on our schedule. I imagine this will not last nowhere near as long as the Clinton shutdown, but this is still a bummer. From what I hear, chances may be slim concerning reimbursements of the lost time.

The part is that it should just as interesting when we get to the debt ceiling deadline.

Part of the worry for us (I am a systems engineer for the army) during the planned furloughs was "who is going to even realize we are gone?" TSA agents were furloughed, airport lines were sick, public outcry, and they were brought back to work. What does it take for the public to feel us not working, though? We have to get our asses kicked by another country?

I have no plans to work for free. Already make less than what I would in industry. Not throwing free hours on top of it.

By the way, where do you work? Missed that.

From what i heard, the security apparatus will not be affected by shutdown (i.e., partial shutdown). It should be business as usual at the TSA, FBI, CIA, NSA,  etc. and with military personnel i imagine. The National Parks and Museums will be closed - So if you planned a trip to the National Zoo tomorrow you're probably screwed. I do empirical research that affects no one in their day to day life. Few people will be storming the Capitol demanding to know the movement rates of blue catfish in Chesapeake Bay. However, crap like this make it harder and more expensive to adequately perform tax payer funded research. 

We're a country with a mascot of a bird that looks like he cares too much about PE what did you expect? Like seriously, our country is ran by a bunch of old fucks who can never agree on anything, it's so annoying and the rich just get richer while the poor get poorer go look at a chart of the nation's wealth, this country pisses me off so much, and don't even get me started on the education system, and lack of separation of church and state. I swear Canada is like a nice apartment over a vapid meth lab.

P.s. let's keep this moving to Canada thing on the DL we don't want all the fucks who ruin this country to come with us do we?

I remember when I was 16 and thought saying this kind of stuff was cool.

I work for the US Attorney's Office (DOJ) and fortunately I'm "excepted" - for now at least.  A pretty large chunk of my office will be furloughed, and naturally the employees bearing the largest brunt of the furlough are the lower level employees.  I really didn't expect this shutdown to actually happen since it seems to be a yearly occurrence lately, but now with just an hour left it actually looks like it could be a reality.  When getting a job as a federal employee around five years ago, I was always told how great it is to have incredible job security.  However, for the last three or so years, things don't seem so secure.  Between the threat of shutdowns, sequesters and debt ceiling, it's been nothing but uncertainty. 

yup.  its part of the reason im actually looking for labor relation jobs in the private sector and passing on co-op opportunties

We're a country with a mascot of a bird that looks like he cares too much about PE what did you expect? Like seriously, our country is ran by a bunch of old fucks who can never agree on anything, it's so annoying and the rich just get richer while the poor get poorer go look at a chart of the nation's wealth, this country pisses me off so much, and don't even get me started on the education system, and lack of separation of church and state. I swear Canada is like a nice apartment over a vapid meth lab.

The nice apartment line is a robin Williams quote from a reddit ama.

I have no plans to work for free. Already make less than what I would in industry. Not throwing free hours on top of it.

Didn't think you could. We were teleconning with a NASA guy last week, and he said that if they do any work, or even use their government-issued laptops/cell phones while furloughed, they've committed a felony, and could be arrested. Suppose it's different if they decree you to be "essential", though.

i would say i'm a staunch mod republican, but this whole situation has me pissed off at everyone in the govt right now.  in no circumstance should the govt shut down unless congress and the higher executives are willing to forgo their paycheck that year.

now, in regards to what the republicans are doing by defunding obamacare, whether or not you agree with it, I think it's a ballsy move to support a certain belief and position.  but in no damn case should that shut down the govt.  there should always be a final compromise.

and if you want to debate the topic about the law, im so out of that one, haha. internet debates? nein. 

No offense to the Americans on here. But on a completely selfish note, I kind of hope this shut down lasts a few weeks. I'm booking some flights over to your country in the coming months, and i'd like to see your dollar continue to fall.

That way I can buy more records on my trip.

On a non selfish level, I hope it's a very short shutdown and nobody is too badly affected by it.

Also free healthcare fucking rules. You should try it

No offense to the Americans on here. But on a completely selfish note, I kind of hope this shut down lasts a few weeks. I'm booking some flights over to your country in the coming months, and i'd like to see your dollar continue to fall.

That way I can buy more records on my trip.

On a non selfish level, I hope it's a very short shutdown and nobody is too badly affected by it.

Also free healthcare fucking rules. You should try it

i totally love this post.

Our version of the two party system is so badly broken. It's more about polarizing yourself as one thing or the other than standing up for the ideals that the parties themselves were founded upon. I am a republican who is wildly disgusted with the way my party has taken the government hostage. The affordable healthcare act in its current state is bloated and not cost effective enough for a down economy to support, however if both sides would cut party rhetoric and use some common sense it could easily be the most brilliant piece of bipartisan legislation passed in the last two decades. The president himself has said he is willing to negotiate reform but "not with a gun to his head." I fully agree with this statement, the responsible thing to do is to adopt a "clean" budget (ie. containing no non-budgetary policy) and use the coming months/weeks to hash out reform to the AHA.. This country so badly needs a group of strong level-headed conservatives to lead the way to economic recovery. The group of blood thirsty buffoons currently bullying the Hill into deadlock are going to cause real damage if there isn't drastic change by the 17th.

i would say i'm a staunch mod republican, but this whole situation has me pissed off at everyone in the govt right now.  in no circumstance should the govt shut down unless congress and the higher executives are willing to forgo their paycheck that year.

now, in regards to what the republicans are doing by defunding obamacare, whether or not you agree with it, I think it's a ballsy move to support a certain belief and position.  but in no damn case should that shut down the govt.  there should always be a final compromise.

and if you want to debate the topic about the law, im so out of that one, haha. internet debates? nein.

I really disagree with the whiole "they should be willing to give up their salaries" idea. If you match up the amount of power that they have to the private sector (ie, CEOs and Presidents of large companies) they would be making tens of millions. What's Congress at now, $200k?

I don't really want congressmen struggling to make their mortgages or in any other vulnerable financial state. They don't make that much (relatively...not saying I wouldn't love 200k myself) and are still working. Should be paid. Just need to make better decisions.

Didn't think you could. We were teleconning with a NASA guy last week, and he said that if they do any work, or even use their government-issued laptops/cell phones while furloughed, they've committed a felony, and could be arrested. Suppose it's different if they decree you to be "essential", though.

No one has told me this. I thought that working would just piss off your AFGE reps. Maybe.

maybe it was ballsy the first time they did it, but this is the third time the republicans have done this with the ACAAA, not counting the 37 times they've tried to put a vote to repeal it in congress since its passed.  they're being stubborn fucking babies at this point, and now they're putting other peoples lives/families at risk by shutting the govt down. 

Our version of the two party system is so badly broken. It's more about polarizing yourself as one thing or the other than standing up for the ideals that the parties themselves were founded upon. I am a republican who is wildly disgusted with the way my party has taken the government hostage. The affordable healthcare act in its current state is bloated and not cost effective enough for a down economy to support, however if both sides would cut party rhetoric and use some common sense it could easily be the most brilliant piece of bipartisan legislation passed in the last two decades. The president himself has said he is willing to negotiate reform but "not with a gun to his head." I fully agree with this statement, the responsible thing to do is to adopt a "clean" budget (ie. containing no non-budgetary policy) and use the coming months/weeks to hash out reform to the AHA.. This country so badly needs a group of strong level-headed conservatives to lead the way to economic recovery. The group of blood thirsty buffoons currently bullying the Hill into deadlock are going to cause real damage if there isn't drastic change by the 17th.

a much more articulate approach to what i was getting at. the premise of 'compromise' has been completely lost on anyone who defines themselves as D or R- they know 'yes' and 'no' and nothing more.