Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Too "Kokomo"-ish for me.  I got a free download of the album with my Caspian Hobbledehoy variant and I wasn't really into it.

EDIT:  It was actually "Minor Light" that I heard.  Not "Great North".  I'm assuming it's not a huge difference though?

Worlds apart, my friend. Minor Light is okay, but Great North and their S/T album are where the goods are.

Trust me. Go play "Tired Hands" and get back to me.

from Sunlight Ascending:

Oh haaay, we're coming back from the dead and playing a gig soon. More details in the coming weeks, but yes, this is really happening... be on high alert.

totally forgot about them. good to see this.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUCK!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!

OMG AND THEY'LL PROBABLY PLAY WITH THE END OF THE OCEAN!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

What's a band similar to Toe?

LITE is less jazz oriented, but similar melodic guitar parts, mathy

Te' is also less jazz, but more rock/edgy with good, nonspastic mathiness as well

Vasudeva is a good rec. re: the guitars and mathiness,  but the percussion is way behind the guitars. They also are sans bassist, they tape it and play at shows unless they changed their mind and found a bassist. They tweet a lot, writing new stuff, but usually just sillness.

None of this stuff is flippable though

I'll spend $75 for ITTCT any day before pg.lost.

And that's my controversial opinion of the day lol.

Although those variants are pretty. I just never got the hype for that band.

Not trying to proselytize you Evan, as we all respect each others' subjective tastes in bands, but I'd hate you to miss out on some good tunes.

If you started with In Never Out, or It's Not Me It's You, I can definitely see your point.

I'm at work and the Barracuda filter blocks youtube, but later I'll post some tracks that I think you would like.

My friend in DK, Lars, tends to the heavier side of music (Neurosis, FoE, LB, ISIS, etc), and he saw them last year to pick up another copy of their Wang Wen split for me at a Fest, and he was converted haha (kinda like sleepmakeswaves).

But seriously, I post later tonight. And they're not 20 minute Godspeed tracks; they got hooks man! Jingles you can hum to all day. Harken back to your postrock infancy days of bliss, and then move into some heavier territory. 

Honestly, they had almost lost me with INO except for Crystalline, but since I've been playing that one alot on cassette as background, it's grown nicely.

Not trying to proselytize you Evan, as we all respect each others' subjective tastes in bands, but I'd hate you to miss out on some good tunes.

If you started with In Never Out, or It's Not Me It's You, I can definitely see your point.

I'm at work and the Barracuda filter blocks youtube, but later I'll post some tracks that I think you would like.

My friend in DK, Lars, tends to the heavier side of music (Neurosis, FoE, LB, ISIS, etc), and he saw them last year to pick up another copy of their Wang Wen split for me at a Fest, and he was converted haha (kinda like sleepmakeswaves).

But seriously, I post later tonight. And they're not 20 minute Godspeed tracks; they got hooks man! Jingles you can hum to all day. Harken back to your postrock infancy days of bliss, and then move into some heavier territory.

Honestly, they had almost lost me with INO except for Crystalline, but since I've been playing that one alot on cassette as background, it's grown nicely.

I'm reluctant to give this another shot. Simply on the grounds of not needing to be tempted with throwing more money at more stuff right now haha. I'm already having that dilemma with that new Appleseed pressing coming out.

I guess if I had any will power I could get sucked in but still be ok with no vinyl. But I know myself pretty well, & my will power is essentially non-existant!

I'm reluctant to give this another shot. Simply on the grounds of not needing to be tempted with throwing more money at more stuff right now haha. I'm already having that dilemma with that new Appleseed pressing coming out.

I guess if I had any will power I could get sucked in but still be ok with no vinyl. But I know myself pretty well, & my will power is essentially non-existant!

PG.LOST IS SO FUCKING GOOD.

Evan, it's lucky for you and borderline criminal that "Yes, I Am" EP from 2007 is not on vinyl.  Would be a great RSD. 

Just super uplifting, glory days era postrock I associate with JWE, Giants, etc. Nice head fake at about 3:45...wait for it...

https://youtu.be/C1XIa8IjN8o

Yes, I Am

Next, from the Split with Wang Wen, they did a single track Desperdicio, parts I and II, about 9 minutes each, and each with a decent meoldy/hook.

Part I, the start of the video, is like trudging along work, waiting for 5pm to punch the clock, and then party-time starts at about 3:00 -- I hum that melody alot -- then they break it down.  Part II is a darker piece, but still a catchy melody. If the melody of part I doesn't click, you can stop at 4 min.

https://youtu.be/UkN9xhWzdlY

Split with Wang Wen

Last, from Key, I've come to like the whole album, and hard to pick a representative (I'm sure others would choose differently and I couldn't argue), but here is Vultures, to give you a flavor for the album. You don't have to have vinyl for everything btw!  And you don't have to admit if you dig 'em either ;)

https://youtu.be/FaM7T0ECbj8

Vultures

• jhulud locked this topic