Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Hahaha... well played.  

But my jumping was bothering nobody :)   I wasn't bumping into people, or breaking the silence suspense.  Plus, I wasn't the only one moving.  Just one of maybe 6 people, but still ;)

That said, I'm VERY curious to see what the crowds will be like in Gothenburg and Copenhagen this weekend.  I'll probably have to find a corner all to myself to lose my shit during "Dim" and "Finland" and "Dark City, Dead Man".  All 3 of my favorite Cult of Luna songs, on the same album.  ahhhhhh it's really happening.   :::crazy:::

3 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Of course I do.  Who wants beer on their PG.Lost cds and shirts?

Last post probably, guys.  I'll see you all again Sunday night :D

Have fun, dude. But don't annoy anyone alright? ;-)

1 hour ago, Dave Grohl said:

A Gumbo free weekend, guys. How should we celebrate? :D

We could go back to talking about music the way we did pre-Gumby. But honestly, I don't remember how we did it, haha.

8 minutes ago, Eliminator Jr. said:

Have fun, dude. But don't annoy anyone alright? ;-)

We could go back to talking about music the way we did pre-Gumby. But honestly, I don't remember how we did it, haha.

Without exclamation points, caps lock, EITS references, or insane analogies...? ;)

But seriously, I'm way jealous, @Gumbo72203. You better have reviews for us. And when I say reviews, I mean non drunk Pitchfork-y reviews. Vanilla reviews from you might be normal for us. Haha. There's your challenge. And no screaming "2 hour jam song".

9 hours ago, abovetheearth said:

I'm digging on some of this...post-rock from North Carolina.

Any PR with a lap steel, penny whistle and cello is decent for me.

Goodbye, Titan

I was really confused cause I've been a fan of https://www.discogs.com/artist/8581-Daedelus

for a long time, and I wouldn't be shocked to see him go into new territory, but there is a letter difference

So.  It's going to take me a while probably to put this all in words.  I can't even...   just, man.  It was just incredible.  You guys really have no idea.  This trip was priceless.

PG.Lost playing "Vultures" live is probably the greatest fucking thing in the post-rock world.  There's so many thoughts swimming around in my head, it's hard to start somewhere and get it all out.  The sound at Pustervik was perfect, probably the best post-rock sound I've ever heard.  Crisp, loud, powerful, and clear.  Brilliant.  When they got to the first "chorus" in "Vultures", I fucking lost it.  I was crying my eyes out.  You guys have no idea how powerful that experience was.  The song ended, and I literally had fucking tears streaming down my fucking face.  I was a mess.  

Of note:  NEW PG.LOST album in September.  They played 2 new songs this run.  "New Terrain" and "Kan Du Sluta" which means Can You Stop.  They're going to probably come to the US in the fall for the new album.  They didn't repress "It's Not Me, It's You!" because they've lost the artwork.  I forgot to ask them what the band name means.  They're SUPER fucking nice guys, I talked to them at the merch table both nights I saw them.  They're going to keep "Yes I Am" in their repertoire but bumped it because of the new tunes.  They want to press the "Yes I Am" EP to vinyl someday, maybe as bonus tracks with some other album.  

And oh my god, Cult of Luna.  Wow.  That was probably one of the most powerful live experiences I've ever had.  That sound is just fucking huge, and crushing.  The Gothenburg set was over 2 hours long, easily.  Check out the setlist:

The Sweep

Light Chaser

Owlwood

Echoes (WITH THE ALBUM INTRO!!!!!!  BECAUSE I ASKED JOHANNES!!!!)

I: The Weapon

Waiting For You

Marching To The Heartbeats

Finland

Back to Chapel Town

And With Her Came The Birds

Thirtyfour

Dim  (DIM!!!!  FUCKING DIM!!!!)

Dark City, Dead Man

But I just got home, and I am so fucking jetlagged and sleep-deprived, I need to not do things.  But I had to come post.  I have a picture of my haul, too.  I'll figure out how to get that uploaded soon.  

But seriously guys, if PG.Lost ever comes within 500 miles of you here, you have to go.  You have to.  I'll check back in more tomorrow.  You guys are beautiful.  

Thanks man.  What a weekend.  

Also, apparently I like Pelican now!  What a set.  I need to find the setlist, because those songs were fucking brilliant.  Russian Circles was great too, that dude is a wizard of guitar tones.  This Will Destroy You was pretty good too, despite playing mostly new stuff.  They had all the lights turned out in the club, and the bass player and standing guitarist wore head torches, which was the only light in the room.  Very interesting.  

Also lots of weird new bands I discovered, like Late Night Venture, Vasa, Penguinsmeat, and Town Portal.  You guys should check them out.  Very unique stuff, not post-rock at all.  Well, kind of.  I don't even know what to call those bands.  

The 2 new PG.Lost songs are really fucking good, and very different in some ways.  

"New Terrain" is basically what it sounds like, the song starts much in the same way as Terrain with the bass kicking the song off with a slightly overdriven riff.  That's about as much as I remember from that tune.  Kan Du Sluta takes a kind of Caspian approach, and begins with some electronic drum pad loops and beats, and then goes to classic PG.Lost territory.  The song is somewhat similar to Jura, in that it's very upbeat and very powerful; this song builds to a massive intense climax.  It has some more of the angelic wordless vocals that Vultures does also.

PG.Lost setlist both nights:

Jura, Vultures, New Terrain, Still Alright (!!!!!), Kan Du Sluta, Terrain.

I can't believe they played Still Alright.  I had asked them about that tune on Facebook, so I wonder if that had something to do with it.  It's very different to experience that song live versus on record, because it's very slow, and takes a long time to build, but it's very powerful.  It stood in stark contrast to the rest of their set, which were all high-octane heaven-storming rockers.  But it shows you how powerful that type of post-rock really can be.  By the time the song ends, everything is shaking and you're swept up in the tornado, so-to-speak.  

The end of Terrain is especially intense live, that served as a good closer.  I super regret not taking any videos, but my phone was being super wonky all weekend.  Traveling so much and not having enough time to charge it full every day left me somewhat limited in usage.  I have a bunch of pictures though I want to get uploaded so you guys can see.  The other brilliant thing about the festival is how many people from all over the world came, and how we all were connecting simply over music.  I stayed at Urban House (which I can't recommend enough) and in my dorm were 3 19-year old kids who traveled from Serbia to see the shows.  I also was hosted by a dude from Sweden who graciously offered to travel with me and let me crash at his house, as well as pick me up from the fucking airport.  Strangers coming together from all over the world, just for music.  It was so beautiful, so much positive energy.  I had posted on Facebook about a group meet up, and we found 2 other people traveling to the festival by themselves, one from Germany and one from UK.  So we formed our own little crew for the weekend, never having met before.  And we just got to geek out on music the whole weekend.  

The other cool thing is how much Isis was played as the house music between bands, heh.  The last track before Cult of Luna came on Saturday was "Hall of the Dead."  and as soon as the track ended, the curtains came back and Cult of Luna played all over SATH.  They also showed the "DIY in the 21st Century" documentary about Isis/Hydra Head, Neurot and Constellation records, which was sick.  It was so joyous to be able to just sink in the whole weekend and talk with other people about Isis, If These Trees Could Talk, Jakob, etc etc.  

The annoying thing, though, is that now I have to fucking buy Pelican records.  God damnit.  I didn't need another band to love!   That said, I'll give a run-down of everything probably later today and give you all a play-by-play because there was so much fucking music, and it was all amazing.  

• jhulud locked this topic