Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

1 minute ago, Dave Grohl said:

I was gonna do it but $33 plus the shipping cut, then another $4 for shipping to me for one LP is insane. 

I know it's a bit steep.  I think the end result will be well-worth it though.  They're not going to make any money on this release, they just wanted to make an impact and release a great product as their debut.  But I feel you, I wish it were cheaper too.  

6 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I know it's a bit steep.  I think the end result will be well-worth it though.  They're not going to make any money on this release, they just wanted to make an impact and release a great product as their debut.  But I feel you, I wish it were cheaper too.  

I definitely get small pressings, band released, EU shipping, etc., but I can't justify $40 for one LP, or even one album. It's just not worth the money to me. If it were like $25 I'd be all for it. The music is great, the art is great, the vinyl is great, but not $40 special to me, ya know? Especially when there are so many other post rock bands to listen to, for cheaper. 

28 minutes ago, Freki said:

Not even an album. It's a 23-minute EP. I'll keep my eye on this band but this is an easy pass.

I feel like this band is going to be out a good chunk of money pulling out all the stops on the first pressing of their first EP. A little too bold if you ask me. Shit, I mean, $2/minute? Is this a record or a sex line? Do a simple weight slip on recycled cardbaord, nice art but one color ink, maybe two, a simple variant or two, black and a clear, and ship it properly. That would get it down to probably $25 to my door. That I could manage. But $40 is crazy, especially when there are SO many post rock bands to listen to, that are better, and cheaper. 

I won't get into the irony of them putting out a release and not making any money on it. I mean, Bugatti put out a car that nets them a loss every time they sell one, but they're fucking Bugatti. Haha. They can take the hit. I can respect them not pulling an ETR and over changing for shit, but just put out a straight forward, simple pressing, makes a few bucks, and put it toward a full length. 

Edited by Dave Grohl

Just now, Dave Grohl said:

Hey, Gumbo, those three records will cost more than your DJ table. ; )

Cough, invest in a new table, cough.

Hey Gumbo, if you're still coming to Akron for the ITTCT show, I have a Technics SL-D2 I just cleaned up and put a new AT95E cartridge on. It's yours for $150. It's a rock solid direct drive table and should last you forever.

3 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

Hey Gumbo, if you're still coming to Akron for the ITTCT show, I have a Technics SL-D2 I just cleaned up and put a new AT95E cartridge on. It's yours for $150. It's a rock solid direct drive table and should last you forever.

And you should absolutely do this @Gumbo72203 -- seriously. If you like music half as much as the amount of exclamation points you use, you'll start investing. And $150 is a drop in the bucket. With the one caveat of replacing the needle every 500 hours of playtime.

3 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

And you should absolutely do this @Gumbo72203 -- seriously. If you like music half as much as the amount of exclamation points you use, you'll start investing. And $150 is a drop in the bucket. With the one caveat of replacing the needle every 500 hours of playtime.

AT95E's have some great aftermarket stylus options too, all the way up to a shibata needle for less than $150. Hell of a deal.

Ahhh I had a feeling this would happen.  It was worth a shot!  The band will have some of the standard edition ones, so make sure to find them on Facebook.  I hate the price too, but I like the release....  so I'm going for it.  It's the label also that is putting them out; the band didn't finance the release.  28.99 euro for the deluxe 22.99 for the standard.  Blah.  

Thomas....  that sounds great.  I'm not sure yet if i'll make it out there, but I'll contact you and hopefully we can maybe work something out?    

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Ahhh I had a feeling this would happen.  It was worth a shot!  The band will have some of the standard edition ones, so make sure to find them on Facebook.  I hate the price too, but I like the release....  so I'm going for it.  It's the label also that is putting them out; the band didn't finance the release.  28.99 euro for the deluxe 22.99 for the standard.  Blah.  

Thomas....  that sounds great.  I'm not sure yet if i'll make it out there, but I'll contact you and hopefully we can maybe work something out?    

BETTER GET THE TABLE, FUCKER!

14 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

BETTER GET THE TABLE, FUCKER!

You seem to have strong feelings about this.  Would you care to contribute towards this endeavor's fulfillment?  With a monetary contribution of $15, you can pick one record for me to listen to.  For a $35 contribution, you can pick 5 records, and I will say your name out-loud before each one.  But if you wish to support me with a $75 contribution today, you will get naming rights to my new turntable, as well as agency over 2 full month's-worth of my listening choices!  Don't want me to listen to any of the new records I've bought, because I waited so long to get a new turntable?  Frustrated because I wasted money frivolously?  Want to deprive me of listening to PG.Lost or Jakob until September?  INDULGE YOUR SADISM TODAY.   

Edited by Gumbo72203

15 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

You seem to have strong feelings about this.  Would you care to contribute towards this endeavor's fulfillment?  With a monetary contribution of $15, you can pick one record for me to listen to.  For a $35 contribution, you can pick 5 records, and I will say your name out-loud before each one.  But if you wish to support me with a $75 contribution today, you will get naming rights to my new turntable, as well as agency over 2 full month's-worth of my listening choices!  Don't want me to listen to any of the new records I've bought, because I waited so long to get a new turntable?  Frustrated because I wasted money frivolously?  Want to deprive me of listening to PG.Lost or Jakob until September?  INDULGE YOUR SADISM TODAY.   

If only the world worked that way.

But what you're saying is that you can't buy a good table cause records keep coming out, so you have to buy them?

I just don't get the logic there. You buy all these great records, but then don't invest in a system to hear how great they sound? I just don't understand when people spend SO much money on records, invest so much money in records, and don't invest any money towards what they use to listen to them? Might as well stream music on your phone and play it through the phone speakers at that point. It's not sadistic to want someone to get the most out of a record. I think the only want for you to really understand what you're missing is to finally hear it. Like, if you shitty fast food your entire life, but then you finally eat authentic food it's like a whole new world. It's night and day. All I'm saying is why spend so much on records if you don't invest any money in what it takes to listen to them. I'm not telling you to go out and spend $5k, but slowly just hold off on a record or two every so often, and eventually you'll have a new set up.

Edited by Dave Grohl

6 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

Let me know how the pressing quality is. If it's good I'll probably grab it. Every time I see 'Glasir' I think of Glaciers. Have you heard them, Brian? I can't remember if I gave you a digital copy of it, but I'm leaning toward yes.

I think of the same haha. And yes you gave Glaciers to me. Very good shit. I'm also still in awe that you found this and gumbo didn't. I vote gumbo takes the $24 he's going to save and put it in a piggy bank for his new turntable. 

8 minutes ago, The Butcha said:

I think of the same haha. And yes you gave Glaciers to me. Very good shit. I'm also still in awe that you found this and gumbo didn't. I vote gumbo takes the $24 he's going to save and put it in a piggy bank for his new turntable. 

1st album: Clear & blue swirl for $13 - https://soundofglaciers.bandcamp.com/album/and-the-sea-won-the-battle

2nd album: Smoke or white for $15 - https://soundofglaciers.bandcamp.com/album/mirrored-through-the-ancients

S7iBwJl.png

Edited by Dave Grohl

4 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

So Glasir is actually from TX, and you can buy their EP for $15: http://glasir.bandcamp.com/releases

Why the fuck were we going the $44 route when this was you can get it for $20? Do a little more research next time, Gumby. Haha.

17 hours ago, Sasan said:

PO is up...well, it's really 23 & 29€...wow...+ 13,50€ for shipping to Germany! Holy... :D

But for you people in the US: the bandcamp has the (prettier) clear variant for $15:

https://glasir.bandcamp.com/album/unborn

I think I'll order in the US (if at all) since it's >18€ cheaper...WTF?!

That's what I stated in the PO thread...even for people in Europe it's cheaper to order in the US! I mean c'mon...

• jhulud locked this topic