Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

12 hours ago, coreystevens88 said:

Aaron Harris' recent Instagram Story tease leads me to believe a Wavering Radiant repress is coming soon!

dkpWaF4.png

That would be cool....  although I'm pretty content with my yellow copy.  One of the best-sounding records I have.  It's so spacious and dimensional; the bass on Hand of the Host in that epic climax bridge section is just killer. 

I wish they would just do some reunion shows and give homage to the great material they've created.  The music is great, and should be honored, and that's okay.  It doesn't make you less of an artist; rather, I would argue that it makes you even more of a human, to recognize the impact that this music has had on the world and millions of people.  You don't have to make new music under that moniker, but you could re-visit the material, and make it a celebration.  Ideals are so annoying sometimes! 

Edited by Gumbo72203

5 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

That would be cool....  although I'm pretty content with my yellow copy.  One of the best-sounding records I have.  It's so spacious and dimensional; the bass on Hand of the Host in that epic climax bridge section is just killer. 

I wish they would just do some reunion shows and give homage to the great material they've created.  The music is great, and should be honored, and that's okay.  It doesn't make you less of an artist; rather, I would argue that it makes you even more of a human, to recognize the impact that this music has had on the world and millions of people.  You don't have to make new music under that moniker, but you could re-visit the material, and make it a celebration.  Ideals are so annoying sometimes! 

Maybe you will see it, but don't hold your breath

Excited to catch Caspian in a week.  Phil said that they're going to cancel the show and play their discography for my +1 and I if we show up early.  Also been talking with him about renaming the band but he's waiting on more input from me.  You guys can also look forward to some amazing Tertia repress variants that I'm helping the band decide on.

42 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Yeah.....   it's never going to happen.  Aaron Turner is much too large of an idealist to ever share the stage again with his old bandmates and play those songs.  Which is such a shame. 

I would say more that at this point Aaron is way more into his current musical endeavors (of which he has many) than rehashing the past; and he and his wife just had their 1st child.

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Excited to catch Caspian in a week.  Phil said that they're going to cancel the show and play their discography for my +1 and I if we show up early.  Also been talking with him about renaming the band but he's waiting on more input from me.  You guys can also look forward to some amazing Tertia repress variants that I'm helping the band decide on.

FUCKING REKT!!!

Love you too, fuckface.

Edited by Dave Grohl

Just now, Derek™ said:

You never got Phil and the gang to remedy my D&D jacket that that joker signed at the last minute.  I'll have to try again next week.  Maybe one day the stars will align and we'll both end up at a Caspian show.

I know, but I did ask multiple times. They never had any spare jackets. : (

Oh, man. What a night that would be. And please text me if you don't get it taken care of, so I can try at the Philly show for you. That signature thing bothers me almost as much as it does you. I want to help fix it for you. Still can't believe that drunk dude did that.

3 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

I know, but I did ask multiple times. They never had any spare jackets. : (

Oh, man. What a night that would be. And please text me if you don't get it taken care of, so I can try at the Philly show for you. That signature thing bothers me almost as much as it does you. I want to help fix it for you. Still can't believe that drunk dude did that.

Mostly my fault for not wanting to come off as a wet blanket among the guys... and also for assuming that the dude wasn't actually going to sign it.  But, whatever.  I swapped it out with my jacket for the Euro black-silver that gets no love, and this will be extra incentive for me to grab the new variant.  Thanks for trying, though.  I'll be grabbing a good bit of merch on the 2nd.

How were Appleseed Cast?

6 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Mostly my fault for not wanting to come off as a wet blanket among the guys... and also for assuming that the dude wasn't actually going to sign it.  But, whatever.  I swapped it out with my jacket for the Euro black-silver that gets no love, and this will be extra incentive for me to grab the new variant.  Thanks for trying, though.  I'll be grabbing a good bit of merch on the 2nd.

How were Appleseed Cast?

Yeah, I totally get that. If it were me in that situation I would have done the same; stood there in shock, but not say anything. But yeah, let me know. Maybe they'll have spares or a dented one or something they can swap out at your or my stop. And if you don't get a chance to ask, definitely let me know so I can make it a point to do so. I'll be there all day too, so it'll be easier. I posted a pic of the merch over in the 8" thread I believe if you wanted to scope it.

That was my first time seeing them live, and I honestly have you to thank for getting me into them a while back. I really glad you pushed me to do so cause they were so damn good live. The sound was great, they had great stage presence, they interacted with the crowd, they seemed happy and comfortable. I can't say enough nice things about them, and about how great they were. I'm really looking forward to seeing them again. They have merch too. A few records and shirts.

54 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

How were Appleseed Cast?

Chris was doing his own merch before and after their 45 min set. He kind of had this look in his eye like, "Are you one of those Old Canes people I stiffed?" when we were talking (I'm not) lol.

Their set list seemed to be not so set in the middle, with a lot of chat between Chris and the goofy young guitarist who always seems stoned and never ages -can't remember his name -- he interacted with the audience a lot. Chris didn't want to retune and I heard him say, "What's something in C and I don't have to sing?"

I posted the setlist if you want to peek (or not).  Once upon a time when they were doing a lot of house shows, $20 per person, 50 people, they handled all the ticketing, you provide the space - we tried to get them out of the midwest, but he said it was too far at the time.   It was icing on the cake to see them and Caspian.

I've been consistently blown away by Caspian, but they really have taken things to the next level. I'm in withdrawals right now...

The Appleseed Cast - Raleigh, NC

edit: Derek, tell me if you know the 5 minutes they tagged on at the end of whatever closer they pick for your show - I didn't recognize it - didn't know if it was improv, or material for the new album. It was really good!

Edited by drds89

7 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

Gotta clear out that VC ghost cache by finally giving in and saying 'hell with this' by submitting an empty quote box.

haha exactly  :D

And thanks for getting Phil to play The Raven for us, Matt!! I have no idea why they played it for Raleigh -- looks like they're back to Ghosts... again last night.

19 minutes ago, drds89 said:

Chris was doing his own merch before and after their 45 min set. He kind of had this look in his eye like, "Are you one of those Old Canes people I stiffed?" when we were talking (I'm not) lol.

Their set list seemed to be not so set in the middle, with a lot of chat between Chris and the goofy young guitarist who always seems stoned and never ages -can't remember his name -- he interacted with the audience a lot. Chris didn't want to retune and I heard him say, "What's something in C and I don't have to sing?"

I posted the setlist if you want to peek (or not).  Once upon a time when they were doing a lot of house shows, $20 per person, 50 people, they handled all the ticketing, you provide the space - we tried to get them out of the midwest, but he said it was too far at the time.   It was icing on the cake to see them and Caspian.

I've been consistently blown away by Caspian, but they really have taken things to the next level. I'm in withdrawals right now...

The Appleseed Cast - Raleigh, NC

edit: Derek, tell me if you know the 5 minutes they tagged on at the end of whatever closer they pick for your show - I didn't recognize it - didn't know if it was improv, or material for the new album. It was really good!

oh man, that's an excellent set. i've only seen them once before and they played LLO front to back, so I'm excited to hear stuff from other albums. Really hoping for "Fight Song". 

and i am one of the Old Canes people. only out $15 at least.

45 minutes ago, batman said:

oh man, that's an excellent set. i've only seen them once before and they played LLO front to back, so I'm excited to hear stuff from other albums. Really hoping for "Fight Song". 

They played Fight Song for their last song. He yelled "Fight Song or (insert whatever the other choice was)." It was a fantastic set.

13 minutes ago, batman said:

i'm actually pretty sad that Caspian isn't closing with 'Sycamore'. That final drum circle is incredible, and I need it again. New track is okay, but it's no 'Sycamore'.

The new song is pretty massive live. Given Sycamore will forever be the best closing song of all time, I'm sure it feels good on their end it mix it up. Closing with the same song, no matter how amazing, probably gets a little old after 7 years. I think they pulled it off well doing it 3/4 through like at Larcom. Getting Malacoda or The Raven is great compromise though. But if you haven't seen them a long time like yourself, I'd be a little bummed I wasntwgoing to be hearing it. 

18 hours ago, GHOSTDRONES said:

I would say more that at this point Aaron is way more into his current musical endeavors (of which he has many) than rehashing the past; and he and his wife just had their 1st child.

Given that he still tours, the child thing doesn't really hold weight IMO.  But as far as rehashing the past?  I think celebrating your past is an entirely different thing.  There is no shame, nor artistic compromise in celebrating a wonderful thing you created.  Rehashing the past would be reforming the band and making a lackluster album.  Getting your oldest best friends back together to play a couple shows, to honor music you made together that has impacted millions of people across the world?  That is a beautiful thing. 

The 20-year anniversary of Oceanic, maybe.  But doubtful.  Again, I feel Aaron is much too large of an idealist to ever involve himself in a "normal" celebration like that.  A random, 17-year anniversary?  haha maybe. 

On 26.10.2016 at 4:31 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

Given that he still tours, the child thing doesn't really hold weight IMO.  But as far as rehashing the past?  I think celebrating your past is an entirely different thing.  There is no shame, nor artistic compromise in celebrating a wonderful thing you created.  Rehashing the past would be reforming the band and making a lackluster album.  Getting your oldest best friends back together to play a couple shows, to honor music you made together that has impacted millions of people across the world?  That is a beautiful thing. 

The 20-year anniversary of Oceanic, maybe.  But doubtful.  Again, I feel Aaron is much too large of an idealist to ever involve himself in a "normal" celebration like that.  A random, 17-year anniversary?  haha maybe. 

14604838_101546392992r3sn9.jpg

Posted by Hydra Head

Edited by Sasan

Oh man, oh man the show tonight was incredible.

I hadn't seen The Appleseed Cast since the LLO tour (first and only time to see them prior to tonight), so it was nice seeing them play other stuff. Lots of Mare Vitalis, which was awesome. They're so so so good. And it was nice not having to suffer through a subpar opening. Boom, right in with the TAC.

Setlist: 

Kilgore Trout

Cathedral Rings 

Here We Are (Family in the Hallways)

Sunset Drama King

Silas Knife

Fishing the Sky

Santa Maria

Forever Longing the Golden Sunsets

Steps and Numbers

Caspian. Jesus fucking christ, Caspian. Where to even begin? The last time I had seen them was in 2011 at SXSW, so it's been a while. Loved hearing the stuff from Waking Season--'Gone in B&B' especially is a gut check, because I remember listening to that the day that Chris passed away, and being pretty wrecked by it. I was blown away by the stuff from D&D--it all translated so well. 'Arcs of Command' was so fucking good. I know the cliche is "face melting", but my god that's not an exaggeration. That song ruled. They took a break after 'The Raven', saying that this is the part where they'd leave the stage, pretend they were done, and come back to play more. My other favorite 'Rioseco' right into 'Darkfield' again just blew my mind with their weight and impact. Everything was loud and hard hitting--just unreal. The new song 'Castles High, Marble Bright' was good--better than I thought it'd be, honestly and I thought that was the end of the show. But people in the crowd started chanting "one more song! one more song!" I thought there was absolutely no way that they'd come back out, but after a few minutes, instead of dying out, the chant was actually getting LOUDER, and eventually they came back on the stage. Phil basically said that at the beginning of the tour, they'd all promised themselves that they would only play what they were about to play in very special circumstances. And that this was one of them since the crowd was so amazing. Proceeded to play 'Sycamore'. Blew my fucking mind. I saw it back in 2011, but it didn't mean as much to me then as it did now. And I guess prepping myself/knowing that I wouldn't be seeing it, made them playing it even more special. Had a great time rocking out. Need to not wait 5 years to see them again.

Setlist:

Waking Season

Echo and Abyss

Some are White Light

Gone in Bloom and Bough

Arcs of Command

Sad Heart of Mine

The Raven

Rioseco

Darkfield

Castles High, Marble Bright

Encore: Sycamore.

Edited by batman

On 10/25/2016 at 8:15 PM, batman said:

Looks like you got the same setlist for both bands that we did, including The Raven, and minus Fight Song.

But man, you got Sycamore!! I don't think I could have taken anymore:wub:

• jhulud locked this topic