Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Solid list, Batman.  I think I'm going to try to come up with my personal 10 later today.  I know it won't be easy.

Also, I was thinking about this the other day, and wanted to see how you guys feel;

Best post-rock closer of all time?

For the longest time it was Sycamore because, well.  It's Sycamore.  That closing drum unison is pretty much the best thing over.  And (finally) seeing it performed live was just magical.  However, my recent obsession with Young Team has me favoring Mogwai Fear Satan as of late.  Really kind of torn between these personal favorites.

Such a tough question. "Sycamore" is pretty much gold standard, but I honestly like "Fire Made Flesh" as much, maybe even more. In a live setting though, nothing can touch "Sycamore". I've actually seen "FIre Made Flesh" as a set opener & it's probably top 2-3 for best set opener in my concert history.

But "Let Yourself Be Huge" is a pretty damn fine closer as well. Beautiful song.

Best post-rock closer of all time?

For the longest time it was Sycamore because, well.  It's Sycamore.  That closing drum unison is pretty much the best thing over.  And (finally) seeing it performed live was just magical.  However, my recent obsession with Young Team has me favoring Mogwai Fear Satan as of late.  Really kind of torn between these personal favorites.

It's definitely Mogwai Fear Satan for me.  I've listened to that song countless times and it can still give me the chills.

How about this for our lists? We do our top 10 "essentials" that everyone would have to check out in our minds, and then do a ten "honorable mentions". Instead of doing the "up and coming bands" list because then we have to figure out a whole other set of criteria.

We can just have two symblos to denote "essentials" and "honorable mentions". Because it really is tough to just come up with ten, but the ten in my list would be the ten I'd give to someone if they wanted to start somewhere. The next ten I'd list would be newer bands I've found that I'm digging or bands that only ever released a little bit of stuff. And that list would be my recommendations to someone AFTER they checked out the first ten.

What do you guys think? Maybe once this is set in stone we can all lay out our finalized lists, or just pm Derek with them so he can mark it up properly.

How about this for our lists? We do our top 10 "essentials" that everyone would have to check out in our minds, and then do a ten "honorable mentions". Instead of doing the "up and coming bands" list because then we have to figure out a whole other set of criteria.

We can just have two symblos to denote "essentials" and "honorable mentions". Because it really is tough to just come up with ten, but the ten in my list would be the ten I'd give to someone if they wanted to start somewhere. The next ten I'd list would be newer bands I've found that I'm digging or bands that only ever released a little bit of stuff. And that list would be my recommendations to someone AFTER they checked out the first ten.

What do you guys think? Maybe once this is set in stone we can all lay out our finalized lists, or just pm Derek with them so he can mark it up properly.

Sounds like a good plan to me. And I can rearrange my list to better go along with this if that's what we're gonna go with.

loving the hell out of lights & motion right now. oh my god, brilliant.

We had a minor discussion many pages ago regarding this guy. I personally tried getting into it because I had read some serious praise & hype regarding his two albums (both released last year which was impressive in itself) but it just wasn't working for me. Just felt too polished and "pretty" if that makes any sense. Glad to see you enjoy it though! I may need to revisit it just to give it another shot.

We had a minor discussion many pages ago regarding this guy. I personally tried getting into it because I had read some serious praise & hype regarding his two albums (both released last year which was impressive in itself) but it just wasn't working for me. Just felt too polished and "pretty" if that makes any sense. Glad to see you enjoy it though! I may need to revisit it just to give it another shot.

yeah, i mean i guess some of his stuff sounds pretty similar to other bands, but it doesn't bother me too much. i'm pretty impressed that one guy recorded every instrument/layer.

favorite track right now is 'drift'

http://deepelmdigital.com/album/reanimation

I'm with gutters. I've listened to his debut on multiple occasions. And it's 100% standard post-rock. Take that as you will. Super safe and accessible, and I feel like it contains a lot of genre stereotypes that beckon sighs and reviews of "tried and true". But that's just my take on his first album.

I believe that album has a track that straight apes a track off EITS' The Earth Is Not, too.

I've actually seen "FIre Made Flesh" as a set opener & it's probably top 2-3 for best set opener in my concert history.

Yeah, the one time I've seen Caspian (late last year) they opened with Fire Made Flesh.  I found it to be a pretty interesting choice, but it set the mood nicely and was - obviously - just awesome to see and hear in a live setting.  They actually closed that set with Sycamore... which I'm sure they do with most sets.  But still.  I feel lucky to have seen both of those performed... let alone during the same night.

It's definitely Mogwai Fear Satan for me.  I've listened to that song countless times and it can still give me the chills.

Right?  There's just something about that guitar melody and those drums.  They do it for me, without fail.  To someone new to the genre, I'm sure the song could seem super repetitive in nature.  But all those subtleties, and the way the flute is incorporated, along with the feedback towards the end... man.  What a magical 16 minutes.

Mogwai Fear Satan.

Finally saw them last month, they closed the show with it, it was... incredible.

They didn't close my set with it, but it was towards the end and I do agree – absolutely incredible.  The live version was not something I was expecting.  When the band played super quiet, there was the mandatory whistling and obnoxious shouting for just a moment, and then everyone was dead quiet.  Stuart's strumming was so faint, and the drums were beyond plush.  Almost like they were playing outside the venue.  Such an excited tension in that silence.  And when the lights flickered and the band swung back in full effect, half the crowd jolted.  Myself included.  Just magical stuff, as cheesy as that sounds.

Just caught up on 9 pages of this thread. I really need to keep up with you guys. I am, to say the least, a little overwhelmed.

May be up for a group buy depending upon prices/ shipping / # pressed and my situation when he actually puts them up for sale

I am so down for this when it happens. I never got a chance since I've been busy, but thanks for giving me the heads up a while back.

This thread should be PINNED.

THIS.

And So I Watch You From Afar get me so amped to do yardwork and cut the hell out of all the grass in the yard. I wish their self titled album would get a repress. 

I think it's a matter of time.  Gangs will probably get a repress as well.  Topshelf have been killing it (and my wallet) with their recent colored represses out of the blue.  (See: Chelsea Wolfe, Emma Ruth Rundle.)  They're just about done recording LP#4 as well.  Fingers crossed for a U.S. tour to support it.

• jhulud locked this topic