Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

HOLY SHIT CASPIAN SOUNDED PERFECT!!!... but I feel as though their fucking setlist could use some tweaking. Anyone else wish they would've moved fucking Fire Made Flesh to the middle of the set? That would've been so fucking epic, fuck.  They should have used the full band for Run Dry, as well, with an additional 15 minutes of just Phil jamming the acoustic guitar with special guest Brian Cook playing an improvised turbo bass line, while a Jakob song played over the loud speaker.

Get out of my head, guy.

haha

So, just got back. What an adventure. Both on the way to Rochester and on the way home we faced blinding fucking crazy-ass snow squalls. On the way back was worse because the plows hadn't gotten to the thruway yet, so we were breaking the path, going about 35 in a blizzard. Fucking crazy.

Caspian was awesome. Defeater, save for a couple songs, bored me to death. O'Brother was fucking incredible too.

Setlist was the same as we had seen before, save for a few little jams connecting songs.

Full-band "Run Dry" though. That was pretty fucking sick.

Concrescence was beautiful, I'm glad I got that but wish to hell it would have been Ghosts of The Garden City or The Raven or Of Foam and Wave instead.

Also, Sycamore > Fire Made Flesh as closer. It's a good song, for sure, but... man, Sycamore....

Took my good friend to see them for the first time, and he lost his mind. Totally blown away.

Sound was pretty fucking good tonight. I rode the rail, and it was awesome. One caveat though: those fucking bright white lights are KILLER on your eyes, the ones that they place on the floor to do the strobing during Darkfield, Arcs, etc. Fucking blinding as all hell. Bring sunglasses if you want to ride the rail!

Met some cool young dudes, geeked over PG.Lost, ITTCT, Godspeed, Jakob, This Will Destroy You, etc.

Got to clue him into the fact that This Will Destroy You - "S/T" is not "S and T", but rather "self-titled."

Totally blew his mind.

Concrescence was beautiful, I'm glad I got that but wish to hell it would have been Ghosts of The Garden City or The Raven or Of Foam and Wave instead.

Also, Sycamore > Fire Made Flesh as closer. It's a good song, for sure, but... man, Sycamore....

Sound was pretty fucking good tonight. I rode the rail, and it was awesome. One caveat though: those fucking bright white lights are KILLER on your eyes, the ones that they place on the floor to do the strobing during Darkfield, Arcs, etc. Fucking blinding as all hell. Bring sunglasses if you want to ride the rail!

#GumbosInsatiableConcertAppetite

The strobes were awesome.  Made it feel like I was watching a Caspian movie.

Imagine having him as a parent, never being able to please him...

Gumbo on college:

"Dad! I got a full ride to Yale!"

"That's great and all, but Harvard would have been really awesome."

Gumbo on the Nobel Peace Prize:

"Dad! I won the Nobel Peace Prize!"

"Yeah, but it took you until you're 45. Was hoping you would have gotten one by 40."

Gumbo on his son's first show:

"Dad! We booked our first gig & will open for Caspian!"

"Let me know if they're gonna play Quovis/Further Up/Further In out of order. THEN I'll go."

Let me stop you there.

Oh, believe me. This is one thing you will never have to worry about, haha. Definitely not happening.

#GumbosInsatiableConcertAppetite

The strobes were awesome.  Made it feel like I was watching a Caspian movie.

Haha, hey it's just like... my opinions, man. I am an insatiable person I guess. The strobes are fucking awesome, it makes for a great display when they go bonkers. They're just suuuuuper fucking bright and pointing RIGHT at you. Unless my eyes just suck and are oversensitive, which is totally possible. I think if they tilted the strobes up just a little bit, it would solve the issue. You'd still get the gnarly silhouetting effect, but it wouldn't blind the people against the stage!

But man, I really wish I recorded Run Dry because that was so god-damn amazing. Tanner hit the vocals absolutely perfect, and having everybody else adding their shit with the guitar loops and the keyboard part, and the drummer doing his giant booming war drum sample, just incredible.

Also, Rioseco live is a FUCKING BEAST. That might be the highlight for me, just because of how amazing that sounded in the room.

Halls of the Summer came off really good too. For some reason I was kinda "ehhh" about getting it, but Phil is really fucking into that song, and it worked really well.

Some Are White Light sounded fucking beautiful, too. I hope to fuck that they start bringing out more old songs because they sound just absolutely incredible right now. Hearing Erin sing Echo and Abyss was also a real treat, that song worked very well too in the live setting. I wish they'd bust out Sad Heart of Mine though!

But hopefully maybe once this tour is done, they'll start doing a new format with 2 hour-long sets with a break in between... there's just too much great material getting neglected.

Those younger dudes next to me last night were pretty bummed they didn't get their Sycamore closer though haha

Oh, believe me. This is one thing you will never have to worry about, haha. Definitely not happening.

Haha, hey it's just like... my opinions, man. I am an insatiable person I guess. The strobes are fucking awesome, it makes for a great display when they go bonkers. They're just suuuuuper fucking bright and pointing RIGHT at you. Unless my eyes just suck and are oversensitive, which is totally possible. I think if they tilted the strobes up just a little bit, it would solve the issue. You'd still get the gnarly silhouetting effect, but it wouldn't blind the people against the stage!

But man, I really wish I recorded Run Dry because that was so god-damn amazing. Tanner hit the vocals absolutely perfect, and having everybody else adding their shit with the guitar loops and the keyboard part, and the drummer doing his giant booming war drum sample, just incredible.

Also, Rioseco live is a FUCKING BEAST. That might be the highlight for me, just because of how amazing that sounded in the room.

Halls of the Summer came off really good too. For some reason I was kinda "ehhh" about getting it, but Phil is really fucking into that song, and it worked really well.

Some Are White Light sounded fucking beautiful, too. I hope to fuck that they start bringing out more old songs because they sound just absolutely incredible right now. Hearing Erin sing Echo and Abyss was also a real treat, that song worked very well too in the live setting. I wish they'd bust out Sad Heart of Mine though!

But hopefully maybe once this tour is done, they'll start doing a new format with 2 hour-long sets with a break in between... there's just too much great material getting neglected.

Those younger dudes next to me last night were pretty bummed they didn't get their Sycamore closer though haha

It's all good. Just some playful ribbing.

I agree about Rioseco & Some Are White Light. Those two were especially immense.

And I admittedly was hoping for a double-encore with Sycamore coming after FMF.

I can't for the life of me stop listening to Spurv.  Reeeeeeeeeally wanna pull the trigger on the vinyl.  But I also reeeeeeeeally need to draw the line on spending money endlessly lol.

I don't blame you. It's really high on my list of wants that are in stock. That album is god damn beautiful.

I have the FLAC album. I can throw it on Google Drive if you want.

• jhulud locked this topic