Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

If you think recorded End of the Ocean is good, you NEED to see them live.  It's almost like a whole other band.  Absolutely up there with the best bands I have seen live.

No vinyl for them, but I do have a CD copy of In Excelsis with hand-stamped cover and a lathe cut track on the flip side of the CD /200.

s5gs9c.png

Oh, I believe it. I'm sure they're fucking tremendous. They're on my bucket list now to see. I'm fucking pissed that I was too late to the party to see the Sunlight Ascending 1-night reunion with them a year ago this month.

I was also looking through The End of The Ocean's past tour dates, and they did a whole bunch of tours with Sunlight Ascending. Ugh... ::Drool::. I would pay stupid amounts of money to see that.

just like I'm about to pay a stupid amount of money to get a copy of In Excelsis and Pacific-Atlantic from this dude on the post-rock traders Facebook forum. He's asking $70 + shipping which is a little steeper than I wanted, but we'll see where he's at and what the shipping comes to, because I'll probably pay it. This stuff doesn't exist any where that I can find.

My white whale will definitely become Calm Seas Don't Make Sailors, I'm sure. Although I guess I shouldn't rush to judgement, because I was able to procure a copy of every Sunlight Ascending release, including "All The Memories, All At Once" and the vinyl copy of "Leaving My Waiting Room" which is en route to me as of today!

These two bands are like crack to me, and I'm not sure why. It must be the youth factor (and because of how gorgeous Trish is :P). I haven't had a crush like this since Britney Spears when I was in middle school haha. But man, her note choices are just fucking perfect. I could live inside her bass guitar playing forever.

Oh, I believe it. I'm sure they're fucking tremendous. They're on my bucket list now to see. I'm fucking pissed that I was too late to the party to see the Sunlight Ascending 1-night reunion with them a year ago this month.

I was also looking through The End of The Ocean's past tour dates, and they did a whole bunch of tours with Sunlight Ascending. Ugh... ::Drool::. I would pay stupid amounts of money to see that.

just like I'm about to pay a stupid amount of money to get a copy of In Excelsis and Pacific-Atlantic from this dude on the post-rock traders Facebook forum. He's asking $70 + shipping which is a little steeper than I wanted, but we'll see where he's at and what the shipping comes to, because I'll probably pay it. This stuff doesn't exist any where that I can find.

My white whale will definitely become Calm Seas Don't Make Sailors, I'm sure. Although I guess I shouldn't rush to judgement, because I was able to procure a copy of every Sunlight Ascending release, including "All The Memories, All At Once" and the vinyl copy of "Leaving My Waiting Room" which is en route to me as of today!

These two bands are like crack to me, and I'm not sure why. It must be the youth factor (and because of how gorgeous Trish is :P). I haven't had a crush like this since Britney Spears when I was in middle school haha. But man, her note choices are just fucking perfect. I could live inside her bass guitar playing forever.

$70+ for CDs???  Is one of them at least the /200 I posted?  Have you ever tried contacting the band directly to see if they have any CDs left?  I'm pretty sure I have a copy of Pacific-Atlantic I can sell you for a fraction of that cost if I can find it.

I've only read about those cd records on the lathe cuts website, never actually seen one that's kind of cool

Yeah it's a cool piece to own.  Just wish it was a better song.  I thought it was going to be an exclusive track only available as that lathe cut track.  But it's just the last song on In Excelsis, "One Last Goodnight", which is a pretty dull ambient-esque track.

$70+ for CDs???  Is one of them at least the /200 I posted?  Have you ever tried contacting the band directly to see if they have any CDs left?  I'm pretty sure I have a copy of Pacific-Atlantic I can sell you for a fraction of that cost if I can find it.

Yeah that was just the first offer that came through. I didn't expect many people to jump, and I did make kind of an outrageous post saying "HALP, LET ME GIVE YOU LOTS OF MONEY FOR THIS" or something like that haha.

But that's a good call about the band, I'm going to do that right now. Didn't even think to try. And yeah if you can find it, I would totally love to have that dude.

Yeah that was just the first offer that came through. I didn't expect many people to jump, and I did make kind of an outrageous post saying "HALP, LET ME GIVE YOU LOTS OF MONEY FOR THIS" or something like that haha.

But that's a good call about the band, I'm going to do that right now. Didn't even think to try. And yeah if you can find it, I would totally love to have that dude.

Cool, I'll take a look when I can in the next day or two and let you know.  If you get anything from the band though, let me know.

I'm sure they won't have any of the /200 CDs, but hopefully they'll have some regular copies.  Definitely try and find a /200 though if you can, because it's pretty rad to own.  Very personalized item.  Just make sure the signed personalized note comes with it (if you are paying "stupid" amounts of money for it haha).

Cool, I'll take a look when I can in the next day or two and let you know.  If you get anything from the band though, let me know.

I'm sure they won't have any of the /200 CDs, but hopefully they'll have some regular copies.  Definitely try and find a /200 though if you can, because it's pretty rad to own.  Very personalized item.  Just make sure the signed personalized note comes with it (if you are paying "stupid" amounts of money for it haha).

Haha yeah I asked the dude on Facebook, he hasn't gotten back to me.

If it's not a giant pain in the ass, could you take a picture of that note? I'd love to read it.

Yeah I'll get that for you when I can.

You're the best! Also, I'm good on Pacific-Atlantic! The dude on Discogs who sold me all my Sunlight Ascending stuff has decided to part ways with it for only $18. I love this guy.

Its funny though, because I listened to In Excelsis today again some more, and its definitely my least favorite of their releases. It doesn't quite have the power that Pacific-Atlantic and Calm Seas Don't Make Sailors have. I'm going to give it another whirl and see how I feel about it again.

Listening to my new copy of If Wolves right now though before bed, holy mother of god this album!

The End Of The Ocean are great live in a small venue (saw them at the Camel in Richmond couple years ago) and I'm torn re: Sunlight Ascending's disintegration.

I still need All The Memories... CD  Have had it on discogs want list for ages, and I also have two or three CDs not even listed on discogs - just don't feel like starting a whole new entry for those -- to have them picked apart by those with worse OCD than me.

The End Of The Ocean are great live in a small venue (saw them at the Camel in Richmond couple years ago) and I'm torn re: Sunlight Ascending's disintegration.

I still need All The Memories... CD  Have had it on discogs want list for ages, and I also have two or three CDs not even listed on discogs - just don't feel like starting a whole new entry for those -- to have them picked apart by those with worse OCD than me.

I got mine by pure chance. The dude had it listed as their S/T release, but when I opened the package.... it was All The Memories, All At Once. I FREAKED the fuck out. He also tossed in a copy of The Appointment EP for free, too, because I'd bought a ton of stuff from him.

Best score ever. He's the dude I'm getting Pacific-Atlantic from for $18. Win!!!

// THE GREAT GUMBO ALBUM RANKING TEST v1.0 \\

:: no absolutes allowed

It'll always make me laugh how you talk about every band as if they are the best of their genre.

DUDEEEEEEEEEE, THIS BAND IS INSANE!!!!

RUSSIAN CIRCLES IS THE BEST POST METAL BAND EVER!!!

CASPIAN IS THE BEST POST ROCK BAND IN EXISTENCE!!!

ISIS IS UNMATCHED IN THEIR GENRE!!!

Only until a few days later we get...

HOLY SHITTTTTT, GUYS!!!

CULT OF LUNA IS THE BEST POST METAL BAND EVER!!!

JAKOB IS THE BEST POST ROCK BAND IN EXISTENCE!!!

PG.LOST IS UNMATCHED IN THEIR GENRE!!!

If I made you rate a large handful of post rock / post metal bands I think your head might explode.

You would be unable to rank them. Haha.

"HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO RANK THEM?!"

I can't tell if that is a good quality or a bad one. It's as if every band you hear is the first time you've heard music. Like a child tasting ice cream for the time. Except that baby just had their ice cream laced with acid because they freak the fuck out, hit caps lock, and go on an analogy tangent. So maybe it's cool that every band excites you that much, but maybe that kind of sucks, too. Can you really have 'this is the best thing I've ever heard' if there isn't anything else on the spectrum? Where are the 5s, the 7s even. Shit, what's a 3 in your book? Everything seems to register at a 9 or 10 for you. Everything can't be the best thing you've ever heard.

/ Would you like to play a game? Here is your challenge, Gumby:

I would be interested to see a list of post rock/metal albums, one for each tick on the scale.

So ten albums in total.

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10

1 - complete shit.

5 - the good ole half way mark.

10 - the actual best album you've ever heard. One where you could see it performed live it its entirety, with no riffing, twenty minutes intros, outros, set changes, fillers, and especially no fucking jam sessions that last longer than any song should, and be the completely content.

Then use those three albums to help you figure out where the rest of these albums register on the scale. (Try not to have any repeat artists if you can.)

If my memory serves me right, I am pretty sure this was the first song that turned me on to Pelican. I haven't revisited any of their work in some time so thank you!

Same here...haven't listened to them quite a while!

The memory I have with "Drought" is that I turned it on pretty loud in our shared house at 5 a.m. when I got back home from a party super-drunk.... :rolleyes: Youth + alcohol + Drought = bad combination! :lol:

Edit: If I remember correctly, I havent been THAT young...makes it worse! :D

Play gumbo play!

I.... I don't know if I can even do this. There's too much awesome shit, and I only listen to good things!

Although, its funny... certain albums definitely fall by the wayside after I've had my initial freak-out phase. Like Jakob. Was losing my mind over their stuff when I discovered it, and now don't go back to them super often. I still love them, but once I kind of figured them out, it was on to the next thing.

Like, right now I'm losing my mind over The End of the Ocean and on a Sunlight Ascending kick (again).

I think part of it is the discovery of new things that push my buttons the right way, in terms of musical aesthetics.

Best album I've ever heard? That's hard.

I can answer that question differently though: "Tertia" is definitely my favorite Caspian album. And I used to think it was suuuuper mehhh.

Middle of the road? The thing that comes to mind is Joy Wants Eternity - The Fog Is Rising. Bland? Those Glaciers albums.

I'm trying to say that I'm a post-rock slut and that I'm thinking about it. Haha.

I'll be gone at a hockey tournament over the weekend... so that will give me plenty of down-time to digest some things.

Ranking that shit 1-10 is going to be hard, with purposefully bad albums. I don't listen to bad albums! haha

Mostly I think what it all stems from is that I love the post-rock musical qualities so much, that whenever anybody does them and records it well and puts some time into developing the songs, then it's kind of automatically enjoyable for me. They're all awesome in their own unique way, by virtue of existing. Existence is beautiful!

That Sunlight Ascending live material though... wowwwwwww. I seriously don't get how they didn't become the biggest fucking thing.

I kinda want to do this 1-10 ranking game.

Collapse Under the Empire's last album takes the 1 for me.

EDIT: Nope, this album is a 1. SURROUNDED BY INFANTRY – ‘SIGNALS & NOISES’ Literally a complete Cloudkicker rip off. Half the album is seriously cover songs the guy tried to say were originals and only used Cloudkicker as "inspiration". Shit pissed me off. The frickin album name is a damn Cloudkicker song (except that there's an "&").

C.U.T.E. is def 2 though.

• jhulud locked this topic