Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

"Cyclonic tornado" is far too redundant, as well. There's no need to be such a Gumbo, Gumbo.

And I'm sure Maybeshewill were excellent live. But assuming they played anything off their last album, I'm confident Caspian are automatically more entertaining live.

they played In Amber and like one other track. The 2nd half of "In Amber" actually worked super well in the live setting. Huge build. But overall it was mostly material from IWHFAMTIWG and older stuff.

It was incredible, man. Incredible. The energy was just fucking balls-out insane. I'm still reeling from it.

My lasting impression from the show is "Man, what a shame that this band isn't going to be playing live any more." They really have a truly special thing that nobody else does.

I can't say Gumbo is right or wrong being that I didn't get to see Maybeshewill myself, but I did see someone else on my IG feed who is a huge Caspian fan say the show last night was a top 5 all-timer.

I hated Fair Youth as well but I could see it translating much better live. The production of FY was my biggest problem with it.

Yeah dude, that show was probably a top-5 for me to. Words really truthfully don't do it justice, as cliche as that is to say. Their sound and what they do, the energy combined with the beautiful harmony that they do... it's just unparalleled.

As far as Fair Youth, yeah... the production sucks balls on that album. I don't like it, but man... those couple songs sounded fucking huge last night.

The band did kind of shoot their wad early IMO by opening with Opening->Take This To Heart and then doing Red Paper Lanterns 3rd (i forget what was played 2nd now...)

This is my go to SMW album (not their most popular, but one of my favorites):

// They'll be here in April. Excited to see them in person, especially since they said they hoped they get to play this live for me (and the rest of the US).

U9HmZwd.jpg

Yeah that's my favorite SMW album too, followed by the debut EP and then Love of Cartography, which is a great album. But I prefer their older material for some reason.

oh christ.... I just discovered that Fall of Messiah is opening the Paris gig for Maybeshewill.

Why is awesome shit always never where I am? It's kind of aggravating.

On a side note, I'm listening to "Pneuma" by Moving Mountains right now. And god damn, "8105" is one massively tremendous song. Wow.

Days off are bad, because I'm tempted to blow through tons of money on stuff. My dad is also super sick and has been in the hospital since Thursday and is not doing really well at all, so I think part of me is buying shit as a way to get my mind off him and reduce my anxiety. I've got a bunch of stuff in my bandcamp cart:

Spurv - Skarntyde

Besides - We Were So Wrong (only $5 to ship from Poland! yay!)

Fall of Messiah - Empty Colors (only 9 remaining on Bandcamp to get $10 shipping from England)

Also, pricing out plane tickets for A Colossal Weekend in Copenhagen... round-trip tickets from JFK are only $580! I was thinking this would be at least $800-900 or something like that.

Why is awesome shit always never where I am? It's kind of aggravating.

Europeans go out to shows *en masse* and support the indie music scene, like we Americans stay home and watch reality show TV.

We're the oddballs in American culture truth be told.

edit: so bands go where the love, support and $ to make ends meet are located. like Rosetta goes to flippin' Russia for crying out loud, and sells more tickets to one show, than a whole east coast tour.

Europeans go out to shows *en masse* and support the indie music scene, like we Americans stay home and watch reality show TV.

We're the oddballs in American culture truth be told.

edit: so bands go where the love, support and $ to make ends meet are located. like Rosetta goes to flippin' Russia for crying out loud, and sells more tickets to one show, than a whole east coast tour.

America sucks.

• jhulud locked this topic