Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

I kinda want to do this 1-10 ranking game.

Collapse Under the Empire's last album takes the 1 for me.

EDIT: Nope, this album is a 1. SURROUNDED BY INFANTRY – ‘SIGNALS & NOISES’ Literally a complete Cloudkicker rip off. Half the album is seriously cover songs the guy tried to say were originals and only used Cloudkicker as "inspiration". Shit pissed me off. The frickin album name is a damn Cloudkicker song (except that there's an "&").

C.U.T.E. is def 2 though.

A wild challenger appears...

Gumbo is too unreliable haha. And I like talking about things I dislike.

Early thoughts put Toe - Hear You at 3 for me. Hate to do it.

Ok I'm not posting anymore until I lock down all 10.

I mainly did this challenge is cause he talks in absolutes so much. There isn't ever anything else on the spectrum for him. There are bands that suck. There are bands that people love and you hate, and vice versa. Ya know? I just feel like he has to love everything. YOU DON'T, GUMBY! Without bad, there isn't great.

Gumby, I know you say you don't listen to bad music, but, I mean, who goes out of there way to listen to music they don't like? But you must have heard music you didn't like at some point. Put that on the scale.

I know it's completely subjective, but a lot of VC listens to bad music. That's all I've got to say here.

Haha I didn't mean it taste wise, but personally. "I hate this album, I'm gonna listen to it."

But that's very, very true. People sucking off Devil And God when the mastering is complete shit...

Well since no one is stepping up to the plate, not even Gumbo, challenge accepted. I am however going to make a list that includes a post-rock and post-metal album for each number on the scale. Prepare to commence flaming:

10. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven // Rosetta - The Galilean Satellites

9. toe - The Book About My Idle Plot on a Vague Anxiety // We Lost The Sea - The Quietest Place on Earth

8. Mogwai - Come On Die Young // Fall of Efrafa - Inle

7. Russian Circles - Enter // Isis - Oceanic

6. Barrows - Imprecari Island // Neurosis - A Sun That Never Sets

5. Cloudkicker - Subsume // Suffocate For Fuck Sake - Blazing Fires and Helicopters...

4. If These Trees Could Talk - Above the Earth, Below the Sky // Amenra - Mass V

3. God is an Astronaut - The End of the Beginning // The Ocean - Fluxion

2. Exxasens - Eleven Miles // Izah - Sistere

1. Hammock - Kenotic // Tempel - The Moon Lit Our Path

I imagine I could have found a worse album for #1 but Hammock does absolutely nothing for me. For the record, this was harder than I thought it would be.

I mainly did this challenge is cause he talks in absolutes so much. There isn't ever anything else on the spectrum for him. There are bands that suck. There are bands that people love and you hate, and vice versa. Ya know? I just feel like he has to love everything. YOU DON'T, GUMBY! Without bad, there isn't great.

Gumby, I know you say you don't listen to bad music, but, I mean, who goes out of there way to listen to music they don't like? But you must have heard music you didn't like at some point. Put that on the scale.

The more I think about it, the more bands and albums come up that I think I can rank. Give me some time on this, and a few gentle reminders. I'll probably have the list for you Monday. Starting tonight, I'm going to be out of commission until Sunday night/Monday morning traveling for my team's final away tournament of the season. Well, not starting tonight. My girlfriend is coming over tonight. So there's a chance I'll post, haha.

DRUG DEALER IN A PROM DRESS, YOU GUYS!!!!!!

I firmly stand by this analogy.

Ok I think I have my list here.  Obviously there are more albums that could go with each ranking, but I feel these 10 best represent each score...

10:  Cloudkicker - Subsume

9:  Russian Circles - Geneva

8:  Caspian - Dust and Disquiet

7:  Waking Aida - Full Heal

6:  Pray For Sound - Dreamer

5:  Audrey Fall - Mitau

4:  Maybeshewill - Fair Youth

3:  Toe - Hear You

2:  Collapse Under the Empire - Sacrifice & Isolation

1:  Surrounded By Infantry - Signals & Noises

Cloudkicker is a perfect album IMO.  Audrey Fall is the full definition of "meh".  I can listen to it on occasion, but it always just sounds so average to me.  Feels like cookie cutter post-metal.  And my reasons for the Surrounded By Infantry complete hatred can be found on the previous page.

I had to save those quotes above for posterity^^^

Man, I have had to kiss a TONNE of toads in the postrock realm (1-3) to find those princes (bands) worth keeping, esp. those 9's and 10's, a tonne of listening time.

Gumbi, I give you +1 for playing hockey, +1 for Sunlight Ascending, +1 for seeing the error of your ways with Tertia, but you just erased all those plusses with going meh on the mighty Jakob!! :angry:

You know what happened is you overplayed them. It goes with your self-confessed addictive tendencies, and we all have to some degree and we all have overplayed records only to regret it later. 

Don't do the same with Sunlight Ascending. Learn to moderate and like Matt is trying to get you to do, it's a good exercise if you struggle with splitting (hot:cold, love:hate, black:white) without the lukewarm, fallible and gray areas of reality. Especially in music.

But no one is going to diss anyone else here because of the subjectivity of taste - no sense arguing if chocolate 'tastes better' than strawberry. We may be surprised if something doesn't click with another based on past experiences, but that's the beauty of it, especially those surprises.

I'm a shoegaze junkie, always thought it was OK, but never would have bet all the different flavors of -gaze would take over my playlists and aoty's!

Well since no one is stepping up to the plate, not even Gumbo, challenge accepted. I am however going to make a list that includes a post-rock and post-metal album for each number on the scale. Prepare to commence flaming:

10. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven // Rosetta - The Galilean Satellites

9. toe - The Book About My Idle Plot on a Vague Anxiety // We Lost The Sea - The Quietest Place on Earth

5. Cloudkicker - Subsume // Suffocate For Fuck Sake - Blazing Fires and Helicopters...

4. If These Trees Could Talk - Above the Earth, Below the Sky // Amenra - Mass V

I imagine I could have found a worse album for #1 but Hammock does absolutely nothing for me. For the record, this was harder than I thought it would be.

At least you stepped up! Just need to take ITTCT and GIAA off there (or move them up a few notches) and you'll be alright ;)

Awesome of you to step up. I think this joke / serious post towards Gumby will make an interesting discussion piece.

I'm really surprised that ITTCT is that low on the scale for you.

The more I think about it, the more bands and albums come up that I think I can rank. Give me some time on this, and a few gentle reminders. I'll probably have the list for you Monday. Starting tonight, I'm going to be out of commission until Sunday night/Monday morning traveling for my team's final away tournament of the season. Well, not starting tonight. My girlfriend is coming over tonight. So there's a chance I'll post, haha.

I firmly stand by this analogy.

I don't expect you of all people to do it overnight. Got to filter out all those absolutes and give me so true, and honest ratings.

I'll try to do this 1-10 thing tonight, but it's gonna be very difficult. There are so many albums in the 7-9 range that narrowing it down to one or two apiece will be near impossible.

I'm going to do it as well when I get a chance to sit down and make a proper list. Don't want to half-ass it.

Ok I think I have my list here.  Obviously there are more albums that could go with each ranking, but I feel these 10 best represent each score...

10:  Cloudkicker - Subsume

9:  Russian Circles - Geneva

8:  Caspian - Dust and Disquiet

7:  Waking Aida - Full Heal

6:  Pray For Sound - Dreamer

5:  Audrey Fall - Mitau

4:  Maybeshewill - Fair Youth

3:  Toe - Hear You

2:  Collapse Under the Empire - Sacrifice & Isolation

1:  Surrounded By Infantry - Signals & Noises

Cloudkicker is a perfect album IMO.  Audrey Fall is the full definition of "meh".  I can listen to it on occasion, but it always just sounds so average to me.  Feels like cookie cutter post-metal.  And my reasons for the Surrounded By Infantry complete hatred can be found on the previous page.

I need to listen to 6 rank.

10. Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss

9. deadhorse - We Can Create Our Own World

8. Rachel's - The Sea & The Bells

7. Mogwai - Come On Die Young

6. toe - The Book About My Idle Plot On A Vague Anxiety

5. Sonora Pine - II

4. Slint - Spiderland

3. Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun

2. Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die

1.Stereolab - Mars Audiac Quintet

honorable mentions include: Isis - Oceanic, Bark Psychosis - Hex, Gastr Del Sol - Camofleur, Mono - Walking Cloud..., and June of 44 - Four Great Points, among others I'm probably forgetting

Surprised to see Spiderland that low on the scale. But I'm really liking Deadhorse near the top.

I had to save those quotes above for posterity^^^

Man, I have had to kiss a TONNE of toads in the postrock realm (1-3) to find those princes (bands) worth keeping, esp. those 9's and 10's, a tonne of listening time.

Gumbi, I give you +1 for playing hockey, +1 for Sunlight Ascending, +1 for seeing the error of your ways with Tertia, but you just erased all those plusses with going meh on the mighty Jakob!! :angry:

You know what happened is you overplayed them. It goes with your self-confessed addictive tendencies, and we all have to some degree and we all have overplayed records only to regret it later. 

Don't do the same with Sunlight Ascending. Learn to moderate and like Matt is trying to get you to do, it's a good exercise if you struggle with splitting (hot:cold, love:hate, black:white) without the lukewarm, fallible and gray areas of reality. Especially in music.

But no one is going to diss anyone else here because of the subjectivity of taste - no sense arguing if chocolate 'tastes better' than strawberry. We may be surprised if something doesn't click with another based on past experiences, but that's the beauty of it, especially those surprises.

I'm a shoegaze junkie, always thought it was OK, but never would have bet all the different flavors of -gaze would take over my playlists and aoty's!

It's funny he said "meh" to Jakob when I've seen him use the inordinate amount of exclamation points when talking about them, on multiple occasions. 

And exactly, Don. This is an exercise. This isn't going to be used to bash anyone's tastes, but more so learn their tastes. It'll be an interesting way to see how one interprets and appreciates the genre(s) more so than just a top 10 favorite list.

Surprised to see Spiderland that low on the scale. But I'm really liking Deadhorse near the top.

I think I misinterpreted the exercise, I thought we were making top 10 lists. But I guess you guys did that when you compiled the VC list, this is what I get for skimming threads first thing in the morning. 

I think I misinterpreted the exercise, I thought we were making top 10 lists. But I guess you guys did that when you compiled the VC list, this is what I get for skimming threads first thing in the morning. 

No, this is not a top ten list. This is a list of albums, one at each rank 1 - 10. So an album at 1, which is the worst, all the way to 10, an album you think is perfect.

Please do. We miss you.

Life has been weird lately. Busy, sick, and everything in between. I feel like my post rock game has suffered a lot!

(I know I know, PRIORITIES)

i got a new iphone recently because I dropped my old one in some oil at work and I've been too lazy to put my music on the new one. I'm doing that now.

• jhulud locked this topic