Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Okay, so I think I have my list. The thing to keep in mind, though, is that the lower rankings should kind of have an asterisk because there really isn't bad post-rock to me. Even the most bland, unoriginal stuff can be enjoyable to me because of it's musical aesthetics/contents.

10. Rosetta - A Determinism of Morality

9. Caspian - Tertia

8. Sunlight Ascending - All The Memories, All At Once

7. Shy, Low - Shy, Low

6. ITTCT - AtE/BtS

5. Besides - We Were So Wrong/This Patch of Sky - Heroes & Ghosts/Degree of Arc - Halls In Hospitals

4. Isis - Panopticon

3. Cult of Luna - Somewhere Along The Highway

2. Red Sparowes - Ever Red Heart Shines Towards The Red Sun

1. Mono - For My Parents

That was hard to do! haha. I listened to a bunch of albums this weekend trying to figure stuff out. My number 1 pick was the hardest, because there were so many that were so close, but I had to end up going with ADOM because I listened to that probably 4 straight times through from Thursday-Friday, and I wasn't getting sick of it.

The lower rankings all have some issues for me... the Mono album bores me to absolute death, I just can't get into it. The Red Sparowes album has fucking TERRIBLE production, and whoever engineered that album or okay it's studio production should get kicked in the face because there's good music there, but the album sounds like ass.

Number 5 was the biggest kicker because there's SO many albums that occupy that spot for me... albums that are just solid, all-around, always-enjoyable collections of music that are pretty interchangable with each other. They're all great, but they don't have too many features that make them stand out or stand apart from other bands. Check that stuff out though, because they're all thoroughly enjoyable. If you're just itching for some post-rock and not sure what you want, these will always satisfy. At least for me they do.

Haha okay done. That makes sense from a scoring standpoint anyway, for points-awarded.

This was really hard to do! I wasn't sure where to rank things depending on my reasonings, and there's a bunch of other big albums that I don't know well-enough back-to-front to be able to use them (the PG.Lost records, for example, and the Jakob records. They're so dense with material, it takes me a while to fully digest and KNOW their contents.)

Listening to Kasan now for the first time tho, these dudes are pretty good! Got some good riffs. Not into the stoner doom riffs they kinda use sometimes, but they've got some nice pretty parts!

Gumbo, you got the rankings backwards!

...which is totally absurd

Listening to Kasan now for the first time tho, these dudes are pretty good! Got some good riffs. Not into the stoner doom riffs they kinda use sometimes, but they've got some nice pretty parts!

Looking forward to seeing them open for JAKOB in May! B)

• jhulud locked this topic