Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Page 1, bro', Start at the top and work your way down. Seriously.

OP and many others have put a lot of work into this thread for people sincerely interested in checking out this massive genre.

Page 1.

:wub:  thnx I'll give it a look-see. I like to ask for suggestions in threads like this bc I'm expecting to receive some new hotness that's usually not on the first page. 

Hope things start looking up for your dad and his health, Gumbo.

Thanks man, I was there all afternoon. Not a great time. Dude's intestines basically shut down and wouldn't pass any fluid or gas out, so he was bloated as fuck and gained like 15 pounds. It's insane.

They gave him some stuff called Regalin (sp?) that I guess works as a laxative or something, because in about 10 minutes he was able to move some shit around inside and release some of the pressure, gas-wise. That helped. He was still in pretty poor shape though.

Who knows how long it will be before the infection is gone so they can operate and blast out the stones. Crazy shit, man. Fucks with your head, seeing a parent super sick.

America sucks.

America does suck. When I went to Boston to see Rosetta play "Quintessential Ephemera" in it's entirety, there couldn't have been more than 30 people in the bar. It was sad. And you could tell the band was disappointed, too.

Granted, if the record had been out a little longer and people had more of a chance to get to know it, that may have worked in their favor, but who knows. I know i love the album, but didn't know it super super well at that point.

America does suck. When I went to Boston to see Rosetta play "Quintessential Ephemera" in it's entirety, there couldn't have been more than 30 people in the bar. It was sad. And you could tell the band was disappointed, too.

Granted, if the record had been out a little longer and people had more of a chance to get to know it, that may have worked in their favor, but who knows. I know i love the album, but didn't know it super super well at that point.

Rosetta doesn't really even draw in their hometown. It's not surprising.

Maybe a dumb question, but does music like post-rock get radio play overseas?  Does that help its popularity?  I know radio in my area is literally the worst thing you can ask for.  2-3 country stations, 4-5 top 40 stations, oldies, and then radio rock garbage.

Over here radio is just as dead as everywhere else. All stations I know of cater two categories of people: teenagers and/or soccer moms. Maybe one or two for jazzdads, but that's about it.

Wtf? Are you serious?

About par every time I've seen them - maybe maxed out at 75 in at Strange Matter one show, which the sound guy wasn't stoned for a change, and they nailed all 5 tracks. Everyone was spent, what a great set...

Opened with: Red in Tooth and Claw, then 2 long tracks from The Anaesthete before it was released, TMA-3, and closed with ADOM. 

They had started late, then a 10 hr drive, so they didn't do an encore, though we were about as deafening as 75 people could get in that place. 

I wonder if more any post-rock/metal festivals here in the States would help that out.  

Caspian and Russian Circles draw well if my area.  The Columbus RC show was packed to the brim when I saw them.  But I guess overall they are at the top of the genre, so that probably helps.  ITTCT despite being from my area, doesn't seem to draw as well when they play shows.  I wonder if being on Metal Blade will get them more exposure and bigger shows.

I wonder if the label deals are better in EU too. Such as the percentage that the band takes from ticket and merch sales. And perhaps promotion is a lot better there as well. EU just has the post rock / metal thing covered. They always have. I doubt US will ever catch up, or even on. I'm sure this is more mainstream for them which is awesome.

ITTCT masters got delivered. Updates to come.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Rosetta doesn't really even draw in their hometown. It's not surprising.

Not true, at least from my experiences, which have been many. Seen them about 7 times now all around philly and they always draw a packed house. Saw them headline with Kylesa before and with Russian Circles/Deafheaven and all sold out. They were earthshattering shows.

• jhulud locked this topic