08. Russian Circles. Memorial

07. Sigur Ros. ( )

06. 65daysofstatic. The Destruction Of Small Ideas

05. Mono. You Are There

04. Mogwai. Rock Action

03. God Is An Astronaut. Origins

02. Maybeshewill. Fair Youth

01. And So I Watch You From Afar. Heirs

Wow, Heirs is that low for you? I still enjoy that album. A lot more than All Hail, but to each his own.

I echo what Don said, though: moderation is so important. I mean, do what makes you happy... but you'll probably get a lot more mileage out of new listens if you pace yourself a bit. I take that super seriously and it's definitely paid off more than a few times.

Dunno if I could scale any post-rock lower than 4 or 5 at it's worst it's just tedious, and it would have to be unpleasing to my ears to go that low.

Totally get that line of thinking. That's why I used most of the bottom numbers to represent albums that really really disappointed me based on who released them. But in the grand scheme of music, taking personal biases aside, they'd rank in the upper tier of music. Except for that goddamn Cloudkicker ripoff album lol.

Moderation is huuuuge when it comes to music. I've burned myself out on a lot of stuff because I was so addicted right out the gate on it. Taking some time away sometimes really does help regain the love & appreciation you once had for a band/album.

I kinda had that burn out happen with Caspian D&D. It's an album I adore, but not one I can burn through a million times. I need to give it some time to breathe. Cloudkicker is probably the one band (in this realm of music) I feel like I never need a serious break from.

Wow, Heirs is that low for you? I still enjoy that album. A lot more than All Hail, but to each his own.

I echo what Don said, though: moderation is so important. I mean, do what makes you happy... but you'll probably get a lot more mileage out of new listens if you pace yourself a bit. I take that super seriously and it's definitely paid off more than a few times.

Believe it or not, I give Caspian moderation. It definitely helps me appreciate them more. I probably moderate them the best (out of all the bands I listen to), which has helped make them one of my absolute favorite bands. There are a large handful of bands I didn't do that with that I'm now burnt out on.

Just got my copy of Au Revoir's "Veles" the other day, and I'm giving it a spin now. Full disclosure - these dudes are friends of mine, and I've played a handful of shows with them, but I think some of y'all would dig this anyway. Really heavy, gloomy sounding post rock. I'm not familiar enough with the genre to comfortably compare them to anyone, nor am I naive enough to believe they're doing anything super original, but I enjoy this a lot. They're streaming it on Bandcamp now, if anyone feels compelled to check it out.

https://aurevoirit.bandcamp.com/album/veles

Totally get that line of thinking. That's why I used most of the bottom numbers to represent albums that really really disappointed me based on who released them. But in the grand scheme of music, taking personal biases aside, they'd rank in the upper tier of music. Except for that goddamn Cloudkicker ripoff album lol.

I can understand that, plus it can be a weird genre and the risks taken can payoff for some and not for others and it can be difficult to decipher whether that risk is indeed perfection or just endearing which makes assigning a number tricky for me

I'm going to go a Kurazz route of sorts and do two albums apiece. No possible way I'd be able to do just one, so bear with me.

10. The Evpatoria Report - Golevka  //  Set Fire to Flames - Sings Reign Rebuilder

9. Not to Reason Why - Would You Hug Fire?  //  Johnnytwentythree - JXXIII

8. Beware of Safety - Dogs  //  I Hear Sirens - Beyond the Sea, Beneath the Sky

7. This Will Destroy You - S/T  //  GrimLake - Atlas Hands

6. If These Trees Could Talk - Above the Earth, Below the Sky  //  The Shaking Sensations - Start Stop Worrying

5. Caspian - Tertia  //  Mono - You Are There

4. L'Effondras - S/T  //  Damascus - Heights

3. Grand Detour - Tripalium  //  The Calm Blue Sea - S/T

2. This Patch of Sky - S/T  //  Codes in the Clouds - As the Spirit Wanes

1. Souvenir's Young America - An Ocean Without Water  //  The Timeout Drawer - Nowonmai

Feeling very good about this list looking over it, but wow was it difficult. I kept transferring albums between rankings and opening slots up. Had to go in some dark corners of my lists to grab some of the lower ones, but I think it turned out well.

Also, I'm editing this list sporadically as I think about other albums that may fit better, so this is all subject to change.

I'm going to go a Kurazz route of sorts and do two albums apiece. No possible way I'd be able to do just one, so bear with me.

10. The Evpatoria Report - Golevka // Set Fire to Flames - Sings Reign Rebuilder

9. Not to Reason Why - Would You Hug Fire? // Johnnytwentythree - JXXIII

8. Beware of Safety - Dogs // I Hear Sirens - Beyond the Sea, Beneath the Sky

7. This Will Destroy You - S/T // GrimLake - Atlas Hands

6. If These Trees Could Talk - Above the Earth, Below the Sky // The Shaking Sensations - Start Stop Worrying

5. Caspian - Tertia // Kwoon - Tales and Dreams

4. L'Effondras - S/T // Damascus - Heights

3. Grand Detour - Tripalium // The Calm Blue Sea - Arrivals & Departures

2. This Patch of Sky - S/T // Codes in the Clouds - As the Spirit Wanes

1. Souvenir's Young America - An Ocean Without Water // The Timeout Drawer - Nowonmai

Feeling very good about this list looking over it, but wow was it difficult. I kept transferring albums between rankings and opening slots up. Had to go in some dark corners of my lists to grab some of the lower ones, but I think it turned out well.

Tertia as the middle of the road. Wow. Can you expand on your reason for that? Very curious.

Tertia as the middle of the road. Wow. Can you expand on your reason for that? Very curious.

Yeah, absolutely. It's not even anything against Caspian. I've really liked just about everything they've ever put out (for example, The Four Trees would be, like, a solid 8 on that list and Waking Season and Dust and Disquiet would easily be 7's). It's just Tertia, for whatever reason, that I've never 'gotten'. The few times on these boards where we've rated Caspian albums I haven't made it a secret that that's my least favorite of theirs. I've tried getting into it all sorts of different ways, believe me; I've tried song-by-song, back-to-front (really just trying to get into 'Sycamore,' album version), and, of course, spinning my copy all the way through while I'm doing something around the house. Just can't do it, honestly. Kinda bums me out 'cause so many other people rave about it and I'd love to join in, but I'm not gonna lie about it. Where with The Four Trees, I can differentiate between songs even without listening to it for a while, with Tertia, it all sorts of blends together, with some interesting moments tossed in to keep me listening. It's not a bad album by any stretch, but it doesn't catch me like some of their others.

Yeah, absolutely. It's not even anything against Caspian. I've really liked just about everything they've ever put out (for example, The Four Trees would be, like, a solid 8 on that list and Waking Season and Dust and Disquiet would easily be 7's). It's just Tertia, for whatever reason, that I've never 'gotten'. The few times on these boards where we've rated Caspian albums I haven't made it a secret that that's my least favorite of theirs. I've tried getting into it all sorts of different ways, believe me; I've tried song-by-song, back-to-front (really just trying to get into 'Sycamore,' album version), and, of course, spinning my copy all the way through while I'm doing something around the house. Just can't do it, honestly. Kinda bums me out 'cause so many other people rave about it and I'd love to join in, but I'm not gonna lie about it. Where with The Four Trees, I can differentiate between songs even without listening to it for a while, with Tertia, it all sorts of blends together, with some interesting moments tossed in to keep me listening. It's not a bad album by any stretch, but it doesn't catch me like some of their others.

Oh, I completely understand where you're coming from. Everyone has their own taste, and interrupt albums differently. I admit the album isn't everything it could be. I think a lot that has to do with the mastering of it in the first place. It's a little quiet and dry in some places. Phil has talked about re-recording it, which I would be really interested in hearing. Honestly, I think Dust & Disquiet may overtake Tertia for me in the not to distant future. We shall see.

Probably a dumb question, but has re-recording an entire album actually been done before like that? If they do that, I hope they team up with Sheath again to come up with a killer package.

*justno/50tests

Fear re-recorded their first album a few years back, I'm sure there are other examples

Cool. Thanks. I'd imagine that concept is a slippery slope, but if anyone could kill it, it would be Caspian.

Also, if anyone had any interest in that Unconditional Arms lathe from ITC, looks like a 2nd press is up. They have been atop my musical power rankings as of late. Can't get enough of any of their releases lately. The live album is fantastic as well.

Couple things before I head out to Rome, NY for the weekend.

I must have mis-spoke about Jakob. I LOVE JAKOB. What I was trying to say is that I think I overdid it listening to them constantly when I first discovered them, and need to give them a break now. Maybe I'll throw Sines on for my car ride... I haven't played that album in a while now. Still waiting for Solace reissues... god damnit.

2nd... shit, I had a 2nd. And now I forgot it.

Oh yeah! Tertia is awesome! It might be my favorite album now, simply because of Ghosts of the Garden City and Malacoda. MALACODA. Easily my favorite Caspian song now. Which is weird because I had the biggest boner for YATC for the longest time, which I still do, but mannnn, MALACODA!!!!!

Also, I just spent A TON OF MONEY buying a bunch of shit from Astralia's merch page (killer deal on T-shirts and CDs!) and some other stuff.

Okay guys, heading out for the weekend now. Expect to see me Monday afternoon!

• jhulud locked this topic