Alright. If we're really getting into this "American" issue:

The Americas are named for Amerigo Vespucci, the Italian explorer who first proved that Brazil and the "West Indies" were in fact not a part of Asia. He landed only in South America (four different times, mostly in Brazil I believe).

So...that is why I believe residents of the U.S.A. should be called U.S. citizens instead of Americans. Y'know, because citizens of other countries in N. and S. America are also citizens of the Americas, aka Americans.

I also don't undertand how anyone's age got called into question.

Wouldn't understand someone from the great commonwealth of Kentucky to understand. ;)

(See how I can call arbitrary things into consideration too?)

PS: I learned that in middle school, not college.

First off - yes, it took me over 9 hours to reply to this.  So, I guess I'm late again.  Oh, well.  But, since I am an incredibly hard headed individual, I have to post on this subject just one last time.  Plus, everyone seems to have really been enjoying it...     :D

Thank you for sharing the origin of the name "America", which some of our friends may not have been aware of.  Good info.  However, it still doesn't address what you seem to be missing in this.  The "founding fathers" named the country The United States of America.  These states are not states simply belonging to a continent (or continents) that also happen to be named America.  These 50 states make up the country that is named America.  I don't know if it's a perfect comparison, but New York is the name of both a city and a state.  But they are most definitely 2 different things.

Oh, and you can't be a citizen of a continent.  So, the argument that Canadians, Brazilians, etc. are also American citizens is flawed.

Lastly, my comment referring to age & education level was silly and unfair - so I apologize for that.  Probably little correlation between these things.

That will (most likely) be my last post about this.  I think...

First off - yes, it took me over 9 hours to reply to this.  So, I guess I'm late again.  Oh, well.  But, since I am an incredibly hard headed individual, I have to post on this subject just one last time.  Plus, everyone seems to have really been enjoying it...     :D

Thank you for sharing the origin of the name "America", which some of our friends may not have been aware of.  Good info.  However, it still doesn't address what you seem to be missing in this.  The "founding fathers" named the country The United States of America.  These states are not states simply belonging to a continent (or continents) that also happen to be named America.  These 50 states make up the country that is named America.  I don't know if it's a perfect comparison, but New York is the name of both a city and a state.  But they are most definitely 2 different things.

Oh, and you can't be a citizen of a continent.  So, the argument that Canadians, Brazilians, etc. are also American citizens is flawed.

Lastly, my comment referring to age & education level was silly and unfair - so I apologize for that.  Probably little correlation between these things.

That will (most likely) be my last post about this.  I think...

Who the fuck cares?

Sorry. Your emoticon and care factor gave me the impression that you genuinely enjoy that topic. I just wanted to thwart any disillusion you have that people are enjoying the debate. Sometimes you've got to spell things out.

The funny thing is, I don't know that I particularly care about the topic that much.  Sadly, I just like to argue sometimes.  

Back to talk of splatter!!!

the evolution  of this thread

-normal thread

-noob questions (even i'm guilty)

-cat gifs

-wrestling

-lock

-????

-name on list

-racial slurs

-insulting families 

-lock

-blinkandpanic's conquest of lock

-???? 

-america

-????

-shipping confirmations (it was short but sweet) 

-????

-always blonk-