Calling the U.S. "America" is like calling England "Europe."

No, you're really not even close with that.  Our country's "full name" is The United States of America.  America has always been used and accepted as a shortened version of that name, just like "United States", "U.S." and even "The States".  English speaking nations almost always are referring to the U.S. when using the term "America".  The term "Americas" (plural) is commonly used to refer to the land mass that is made up by North America (the continent where the U.S. and Canada are located) and South America (the continent currently playing host to the World Cup). 

That's what I'm saying. They are included in America, yet everyone refers to the U.S. as "America" when it is only a part of America. The United States of America. As in, the United States within America.

The former Miss Teen South Carolina would love to give you a geography lesson.  They are included in "The Americas", but are certainly not part of "America".  I weep for our youth...

The former Miss Teen South Carolina would love to give you a geography lesson. They are included in "The Americas", but are certainly not part of "America". I weep for our youth...

A little late, huh? Plus, you're wrong. Like he said "of America." Just give it up.

Stoked to get my copy of GH! :)

So technically my nationality is United States of American?

Actually, I'm glad you posted this.  Because U.S. citizens are most definitely referred to as Americans by people around the world.  But I don't recall ever hearing Canadians or Mexicans referred to as Americans.  Interesting, since, according to some other posters, we all live in "America".   

Alright. If we're really getting into this "American" issue:

The Americas are named for Amerigo Vespucci, the Italian explorer who first proved that Brazil and the "West Indies" were in fact not a part of Asia. He landed only in South America (four different times, mostly in Brazil I believe).

So...that is why I believe residents of the U.S.A. should be called U.S. citizens instead of Americans. Y'know, because citizens of other countries in N. and S. America are also citizens of the Americas, aka Americans.

I also don't undertand how anyone's age got called into question.

Wouldn't understand someone from the great commonwealth of Kentucky to understand. ;)

(See how I can call arbitrary things into consideration too?)

PS: I learned that in middle school, not college.