Zeppelin Vinyl Reissues

avl

In fact, I've abandoned by search for an RL Zeppelin II to wait for these reissues.

Eh, I would not be so quick to abandon the search for an "RL" Zeppelin II. I did not believe the hype until I actually had the privilege of hearing a VG+ copy with my own ears.

It was like hearing "Whole Lotta Love" for the first time, even though I have heard that thing a million times on the radio. Sounds like Page and the boys are breaking down the door coming into your home, car, etc.

I can't get over how intense that Ludwig master sounds. No way the re-issue will beat that pressing :P

That still pisses me off to no end.  They remaster the 3 easiest to find albums and leave the rest of the catalog stagnant. I'd kill to find a nice, reasonably priced copy of Animals or Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

I'm stoked about the Zeppelin reissues though. And like most others, hope they put them out on vinyl.

I'm surprised you have a tough time finding a decent copy of Animals. My local stores nearly always have copies of that record hanging around. I too would love to find a copy of Piper though. I suppose you could always settle for purchasing A Nice Pair which includes both Piper and A Saucerful of Secrets - it's cheaper and seems to be easier to find.

I'm surprised you have a tough time finding a decent copy of Animals. My local stores nearly always have copies of that record hanging around. I too would love to find a copy of Piper though. I suppose you could always settle for purchasing A Nice Pair which includes both Piper and A Saucerful of Secrets - it's cheaper and seems to be easier to find.

I scored a copy of Animals on Ebay years ago for 10 bucks shipped that sounds fantastic. I see copies pretty often of it on the bay still too.

http://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Led-Zeppelin-II/release/4088425

This is what I added in discogs when I was going through I got at the sale and this listing shows it as an "RL SS" which based on some research just now is the RL you mention (mastered by Robert Ludwig, I think?)

I'll still have to double check the actual record at home.

It sounds amazing, for the record (rimshot)

Maybe my expectations are too high.  I can find copies going for 30-40 bucks with a nice non worn to hell sleeve, but I would like to find a <$20 copy.  I wouldn't expect that to be too unreasonable. There have got to be tons of that album floating around. Hell, I'm not even looking for a original press or anything. 

• 1 month later...

Sweet! I have a good copy of III, but my I and II OG's leave a lot to be desired. I'll probably get each one as they're released.

Awesome! but what does that link show?haha I didn't see anything regarding reissues when I clicked it.

It says in the article they want to do a box set for each album, and that Shepard Fairey is doing art for the reissues. I say fuck that to both, just do some high-grade single LP reproductions of the originals and sell them for 30 bucks like the Neil Young reissues. Then geezers will sell their early pressings to me for cheap.

This is the first thing that came to my mind. I have early copies of piper at the gates, houses of the holy, presence, animals and I feel like I didn't spend more than 20-30ppd on any of them.

One thing I know for sure is no matter how much money they put into the reissues the originals always sound better. My original dark side of the moon dwarfs my reissue copy, even with scratches and all. The search for all those records sitting in old folks closets continues...

More details:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/led-zeppelin-to-reissue-first-3-lps-with-unreleased-songs-20140313

"The albums will each be available in a variety of formats, including single CD, two-disc deluxe edition, single LP on 180-gram vinyl (with a sleeve that replicates the original Led Zeppelin III moving wheel), deluxe-edition vinyl and digital download. The group is also putting out a limited-edition "Super Deluxe Boxed Set" of each album that includes all of the audio on CD and vinyl, as well as a high-definition audio download card, a hard-bound book containing rare and previously unseen photos and memorabilia and a high-quality print of the album cover, the first 30,000 of which will be numbered. The Super Deluxe edition of Led Zeppelin will also contain a replica of the band's original Atlantic press kit."

Probably the same digital files that created the Mastered for iTunes versions last year (which sound amazing btw). I'll be happy if they use a higher generation, lossless version of those for the vinyl.

Pretty excited to have that Paris Olympia show from 1969 on LZI - one of my favorite bootlegs of all time.