Gossip Hour: Connor Oberst Accused of Rape

wining a lawsuit won't get those results out of a google search. this just increases the exposure he's getting for this instead of his music.

how is he going to prove libel in court? that's what i don't understand here.

this is what has me curious as well. the burden's on the plaintiff to prove actual malice, and with the subject matter at hand, i have no idea how that will work.

My guess is he's trying to force a retraction or apology. He plays a style of music that has a huge female fan base and he probably sees not defending himself as a poor PR move. Falsely accused or not I can't see a lawsuit like this going anywhere but he obviously thinks it sends a message. 

Some things never wash off if you attempt the "ignore it" tactic - rape/sexual assault accusations fall into this category in my experience. 

So, I'm definitely not getting involved again in this thread anymore than I need to, but I have to ask..

Sure, the lawsuit approach is a divisive approach to a sensitive issue, but what then is the appropriate move for him to make in your all's eyes if he truly is (presumably) innocent of the the crime he is accused of? Even if he isn't being charged for it. If people thought I was a murderer but I was never charged, I would still want to clear my name. So would you. It just feels to me like the side most people in this thread take is that the accused has zero right to say otherwise, and that seems to contradict your idea that the accuser should have equal rights as the accused.

i don't think he has no right to defend himself; i just think HE has blown this way out of proportion. the girl deleted the comments, and has ignored any attempt at contact he made, so that blurb says. obviously she wants nothing to do with him, and hasn't pressed this any further. i just don't understand what he hopes to gain from this, as there's no way he can effectively clear his name. i, like many people, had forgotten about it, and now this just brings it to the forefront again.

would i want my name cleared if i was innocent? sure. but if i realized that there is literally no way to do so, i would just drop it and know that people who knew me know that i wouldn't have done such a thing, and screw everyone else. even being declared 'not guilty' in a court of law isn't enough to get some or most people to believe that you're innovent.

I'm late to the thread but that era was my

Bright Eyes/Conor phase.. Especially the pre 2005 me... I know recently he's done the sober-ish thing but were any of you at a show he did in the '02-'05 era. He was fucking wasted by halfway through the set. Not like he had a few beers to loosen up.. Like drunk drunk. Now couple that with copious amounts of female emo-lust. I'm not in any way justifying stat-rape. Getting as messed up as Conor used to get was definitely his choice. Which leads to all sorts of other choices. I'm just saying that drunk musician + underage groupie who thinks she's ready for sex with a man who really has nothing more to offer than a few songs about feelings she thinks are the most important feelings anyone has ever felt before = potential for something like this to happen.

So, I'm definitely not getting involved again in this thread anymore than I need to, but I have to ask..

Sure, the lawsuit approach is a divisive approach to a sensitive issue, but what then is the appropriate move for him to make in your all's eyes if he truly is (presumably) innocent of the the crime he is accused of? Even if he isn't being charged for it. If people thought I was a murderer but I was never charged, I would still want to clear my name. So would you. It just feels to me like the side most people in this thread take is that the accused has zero right to say otherwise, and that seems to contradict your idea that the accuser should have equal rights as the accused.

He can go right ahead and deal with it privately like anyone else on the planet who isn't famous would do.

• 4 months later...

The bitch isn't even down to show up in court to get her ass whooped by Oberst & Co. 

Whoops looks like I used too strong of a language in a "Gossip Hour" type of thread! Yikes! I shouldn't have called her the bird, I'll own that.

http://pitchfork.com/news/55819-conor-oberst-says-he-was-dropped-from-his-label-after-rape-allegation/?fb_action_ids=10152582101794380&fb_action_types=og.likes

Chronological order displays, comments, edits, deletes and extreme fandom of alleged victim oh and to top it all off reportedly she's never said any of the original comments, the last source is pretty sketchy I have no clue about the relationship of that fan's tumblr to Joanie Fairfield:

http://jezebel.com/rape-lies-and-the-internet-the-story-of-conor-oberst-1531785539

Edited by wildflange

Go fuck yourself.

comes into a rape thread, calls victim a bitch

well, gee, i wonder why she might not show up for court

When the article mentioned Oberst being dropped from his label because of the allegations, all i could picture was the guy firing himself and kicking himself off of the Saddle Creek roster haha.

also, $1.2 million in restitution? Goddamn Ridiculous. I'm not ready to live in a world where Conor Oberst thinks he should be a millionaire.

When the article mentioned Oberst being dropped from his label because of the allegations, all i could picture was the guy firing himself and kicking himself off of the Saddle Creek roster haha.

also, $1.2 million in restitution? Goddamn Ridiculous. I'm not ready to live in a world where Conor Oberst thinks he should be a millionaire.

He isn't a millionaire already?

comes into a rape thread, calls alleged victim a bitch

well, gee, i wonder why she might not show up for court

i agree with you w/ one small edit. not defending conor, but there do seem to be a lot of holes in her story from what I've read. however, I don't presume to know anything about the effects of a traumatic experience like this on someone.

this whole lawsuit thing is pretty foolish though in my opinon as the only people who truly know what happened are that girl and him. they're not going to be able to prove anything one way or the other beyond a reasonable doubt.

not trying to start a debate, just my opinion.

i agree with you w/ one small edit. not defending conor, but there do seem to be a lot of holes in her story from what I've read. however, I don't presume to know anything about the effects of a traumatic experience like this on someone.

this whole lawsuit thing is pretty foolish though in my opinon as the only people who truly know what happened are that girl and him. they're not going to be able to prove anything one way or the other beyond a reasonable doubt.

not trying to start a debate, just my opinion.

Nitpicking in the way you (and others here) just did only causes the gap between rapists and their victims to become larger.  That is the issue with a story like this.  Most victims do just as she does; feels comfortable enough to share what happened to her, then people start blaming her (which is disgusting no matter how you look at it) for the rape.  Meanwhile, the rapist/offender gets praise in whichever way people see fit.  In this case, it's because Conor is a musician who "just couldn't have done something like that."  Other times, like in Steubenville, it's all about how the boys were such promising athletes and the allegations against them will ruin their chances at college and professional careers in sports.  It's bullshit.

So yeah, of course the girl is going to be afraid to testify.  This scenario happens TOO OFTEN.  So many times does an accusation get dropped out of the blue and people claim the victim lied the whole time.  Wrong.  The victim is shamed to the point where THEY are the ones feeling scared to go out in public, meanwhile a rapist walks around free and with praise.

Source:  Physically sexually harassed and raped on two separate occasions, years apart from one another and when I had the courage to speak out I was told "stop being such a prude."

Wait what? We shouldn't nitpick anyone's story ever? I think her being a fan of his even after she was raped by him is a pretty big red flag. What should we do? Ignore factual evidence? These are huge accusations.

If she accused him of murder, wouldn't you question her motives? Her story? Big glaring red flags that don't make sense? Or is that all nitpicking and thus not for us to examine? Look, I'm sorry what happened to you, but you're clearly one sided on this and speaking from a place of unfortunate bias. We should be critical of everything.

Wait what? We shouldn't nitpick anyone's story ever? I think her being a fan of his even after she was raped by him is a pretty big red flag. What should we do? Ignore factual evidence? These are huge accusations.

If she accused him of murder, wouldn't you question her motives? Her story? Big glaring red flags that don't make sense? Or is that all nitpicking and thus not for us to examine? Look, I'm sorry what happened to you, but you're clearly one sided on this and speaking from a place of unfortunate bias. We should be critical of everything.

No you're missing the point.  Whether or not she is a victim of rape we won't ever know for sure.  But she sure as hell IS a victim of other things.  Hate crimes, cyber bullying.  A victim is a victim.  Don't pick and choose what the definition is and lessen the fact that she very well could be getting hate for telling the truth.