Post Your Record Storage Area

i posted a thread about this thing about a week or so ago. it was like $80 at target.

[image]

How's the build quality of those Target stands? I picked up the display model and it felt flimsy, so I was sort of skeptical about buying it since I wanted to use it as a stand too.

Has anyone ever dabbled in putting doors on an expedit? The only place in my apartment where my expedit fits is in some sunlight and i'd like to add some doors to it so I can reduce the spine fading on my lps. I've seen those expedit doors for each cube at IKEA but it would be nice to find a less expensive cost. Anyone have any ideas?

Has anyone ever dabbled in putting doors on an expedit? The only place in my apartment where my expedit fits is in some sunlight and i'd like to add some doors to it so I can reduce the spine fading on my lps. I've seen those expedit doors for each cube at IKEA but it would be nice to find a less expensive cost. Anyone have any ideas?

The doors Ikea sells have three sides to them which makes it impossible to fit an LP in the cube once installed. You'll probably have to do a custom dealy. Or get a blackout curtain and drape it over the front of your shelf.

You might be interested in this hack. It looks awesome and maybe you can figure a way to do this yourself...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/305436801/rekordit-records-are-beautiful

You might be interested in this hack. It looks awesome and maybe you can figure a way to do this yourself...

Shame that's not going to get funded. Something like that would be really nice!

I would totally buy that.. prices seems a bit .. 'off' though...

$65 for two? I understand its a kickstarter and all.. but my 5x5 expedit only cost $200. I surely wouldn't want to spend close to $800 for some doors.

edit:: guy said he'd sell em for about $20 or less if he got the funding.. a bit more reasonable, but would be tough to do the whole expedit..

Oh yea saw this. Awesome idea, but i think for around the same price i can get hinges and have home depot cut me some doors

Oh yea saw this. Awesome idea, but i think for around the same price i can get hinges and have home depot cut me some doors

Ikea sells the doors but not sure if records would still fit in there since there is a piece up top:

[image]

[image]

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10207689/#/00156949

they also have one with a mirror..

I like this guy's idea though..

curious why there is no attention on it... the expedit is the most common record storage method.

Ikea sells the doors but not sure if records would still fit in there since there is a piece up top:

[image]

Per Brian's post a little further up this page, records do not fit behind the ikea doors because of the top/side inserts.

Does anybody put anything behind their records on the expedit to make them flush with the edge? i'd like to do that but don't really have any idea what to use except maybe shoe boxes or something.
has anyone ever modified their expedits to have a back or ledge to stop their records from pushing all the way through?

I put old mailers in the back of each cube so that my records hang over the outer edge by about 1/2 inch.

has anyone ever modified their expedits to have a back or ledge to stop their records from pushing all the way through?

I've thought about nailing a thin strip of wood from one side to the other of each cube with records, just to keep them from poking back. Only problem I ran into was rearranging my shelf, and not wanting to have to pry out the strips of wood.

I use small spring tension curtain rods. You can pick them up at Walmart or Home Depot/Lowes for like $2 a piece. Just get one that will fit the cube width, adjust it so it fits snug, put it in the back, and you're done.

[image]

Does anybody put anything behind their records on the expedit to make them flush with the edge? i'd like to do that but don't really have any idea what to use except maybe shoe boxes or something.

I place them that way with nothing behind and routinely straighten them out if I see they're uneven. Yeah, a bit OCD I know...

• jhulud locked this topic