Post Your Record Storage Area

Now that I've upgraded my system, I've found myself thinking about replacing my 2x2/Lack side table with a 4x2 on its side. It would probably give me enough room to put everything (turntable, receiver, speakers) on top and still have enough room to expand as far as my collection goes. It would basically look like this:

IMG_2072.jpg

Only there would be some of those little IKEA doors in two or three of the shelves.

Good idea? Bad idea? "Meh" idea?

(p.s. I believe this is impact's picture; I found it way back at the beginning of the thread.)

Only there would be some of those little IKEA doors in two or three of the shelves.

(p.s. I believe this is impact's picture; I found it way back at the beginning of the thread.)

I was thinking about getting those but I found use for the space. Books and such. Tough call. 

I need to get some baskets for my 7"s. Anyone know if Staples or Target has anything decent? I keep going back to Ikea and I never find anything I like. 

I was thinking about getting those but I found use for the space. Books and such. Tough call.

I need to get some baskets for my 7"s. Anyone know if Staples or Target has anything decent? I keep going back to Ikea and I never find anything I like.

I found some rustic looking metal and wooden crates/baskets perfectly sized for holding 7"s at Homegoods, actually. Also, My wife recently picked up some nice looking solid colored cardboard-y photo boxes from Target that are also sized just right for 7"s. I was using one of those until it eventually wore out and started to tear. The metal and wooden ones will hold up much longer, I expect.

Now that I've upgraded my system, I've found myself thinking about replacing my 2x2/Lack side table with a 4x2 on its side. It would probably give me enough room to put everything (turntable, receiver, speakers) on top and still have enough room to expand as far as my collection goes. It would basically look like this:

IMG_2072.jpg

The plinth of your turntable looks plastic with lots of electronic parts inside. Placing your speakers on the expedit with your turntable will surely reduce the quality of your output.

I bought some 14 x 14 inch sleeves designed for box sets.  But the Dylan for sure (and maybe the Wilco?) is too big even for that size.  So I cut the right edge off one bag, the lefte edge off another bag, and tape them together to make one even bigger bag.  If you use packing tape, it's transparent.

where did you get the 14 x 14 sleeves?

I'd make sure the Sony is level... Balancing between two tables can be tricky.

I don't know why I didn't think of that before. I will definitely move it over to where it is sitting on just one of the crates. Thanks!

This seems oddly familiar...I feel like maybe I might have helped a guy who had a similar aet-up organize his collection...

Yes sir. But that guy probably had shitty records. 

I don't know why I didn't think of that before. I will definitely move it over to where it is sitting on just one of the crates. Thanks!

Yes sir. But that guy probably had shitty records. 

He actually has like three copies of one of my all time favorite records, one of which he should probably just give to me... ; )

Your photo isn't clear. Do you have a tower on top of an amp on the left side? On top of a sub on the right? Are those a separate speaker on top?

Yeah its my dad's old sony unit. The amp is a 6 disc changer and has 2 tape decks built in. With the radio reciver at the top (thats to the left) and then a sub and speakers on the right. If im correct this is a surround sound system and I just havent had a chance to run the wires to the other end of the room to plug the small speakers in there.

Ok. That is far from optimal. If you are only using 2 channels, you only need two speakers. If you are using 5.1 sound, you need to speakers spread out. Left, center, right in the front, surround left, surround right in the back. Sub somewhere in between.

Don't stack speakers on top of speakers. Don't stack speakers on top of the amps. Separate the electronics out. You have the room!

Ok. That is far from optimal. If you are only using 2 channels, you only need two speakers. If you are using 5.1 sound, you need to speakers spread out. Left, center, right in the front, surround left, surround right in the back. Sub somewhere in between.

Don't stack speakers on top of speakers. Don't stack speakers on top of the amps. Separate the electronics out. You have the room!

Yeah I am using the 5.1. Im probably going to spread out the speakers tonight when im out of work. You'd be surprised but I have little room on the sides of the expedit. I might just go only dual chanel and have the sub on as well, since I don't really use that unit for anything else than listen to music. Any suggestions?

• jhulud locked this topic