Post Your Record Storage Area

gDAWfwo.jpg

I got these units at target. You can find them in the home storage section. They are affordable and pretty thick. You can also get them in different sizes. We got one 2x3 and a shorter 2x2 for a lower surface area to put the turntable on. A little more expensive than the Ikea alternative but I feel they can hold more weight. I have around 150 records on the middle shelves, DVDs fill the storage boxes and cook books on the top. With all the stuff on the shelving unit, it still feels really sturdy.  

http://www.target.com/p/threshold-6-cube-horizontal-organizer-avington/-/A-14161912#prodSlot=_1_2 

gDAWfwo.jpg

I got these units at target. You can find them in the home storage section. They are affordable and pretty thick. You can also get them in different sizes. We got one 2x3 and a shorter 2x2 for a lower surface area to put the turntable on. A little more expensive than the Ikea alternative but I feel they can hold more weight. I have around 150 records on the middle shelves, DVDs fill the storage boxes and cook books on the top. With all the stuff on the shelving unit, it still feels really sturdy.  

http://www.target.com/p/threshold-6-cube-horizontal-organizer-avington/-/A-14161912#prodSlot=_1_2 

I have a target shelf, it's a 2x3. and it's falling apart. It's bowed in the middle and the particle board is about to break in spots. I may grab one of the 2x2's temporarily until I can build my own shelf.

Edit: I didn't see those 2x2's before, they new?

I have a target shelf, it's a 2x3. and it's falling apart. It's bowed in the middle and the particle board is about to break in spots. I may grab one of the 2x2's temporarily until I can build my own shelf.

How long have you had it? Ive had mine about a year (and moved) and they are both holding up pretty well.

Almost 3 years now, and it's only been moved across the room. I have it horizontal on the ground, and I think that the feet are what caused it to bow from being full the entire time.

Almost 3 years now, and it's only been moved across the room. I have it horizontal on the ground, and I think that the feet are what caused it to bow from being full the entire time.

I have a couple of the target shelves and had to remove the legs on each side so it sits flat on the floor. Before that it bowed from the weight but since then (4+ years) I've had zero issues.

I'll try to take the legs off and see if it straightens itself out, but mine seems pretty gone in spots. Have most my records sitting on the floor in front of it now.

I have a couple of the target shelves and had to remove the legs on each side so it sits flat on the floor. Before that it bowed from the weight but since then (4+ years) I've had zero issues.

Same here, I had to remove the legs on the first shelf i bought from target because of the bowing. For other 3 i bought I just didn't put the legs.

I like the look of the feet, so I put a stack of cardboard stiffeners from record mailers under the middle. They can be slid back far enough to not show. Several years later and they are holding strong. Even the one with 100+ pounds of equipment on top.

I like the look of the feet, so I put a stack of cardboard stiffeners from record mailers under the middle. They can be slid back far enough to not show. Several years later and they are holding strong. Even the one with 100+ pounds of equipment on top.

Great idea! I will definitely do this if I start to notice bowing. 

Hi guys, I just discovered this wonderful forum and I have seen all the pages of this thread and taken some ideas for my storage area. I am still working on it but meanwhile I want to share some pictures of the current state.

I used a cabinet very similar to expedit, but this one was bought in Costco. I don't like my records to be so close to the floor so I decided to make a little table to hold the cabinet 12 inches high. I don't have any woodworking knowledge or background, I am a computer engineer but I had some power tools laying around and watching a few youtube videos gave me some idea of how to build the table. 

What I have left to do is make stands for the speakers and also I want to make doors to the cabinets, the doors will be just wooden frames in which I can slip an LP cover attached with hinges to the sides of the cabinet slots.

Please excuse my bad English, I am a native Spanish speaker. Any comments welcome!

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0759.jpg
IMG_0772.jpg
IMG_0773.jpg
IMG_0777.jpg
IMG_0779.jpg
IMG_0784.jpg
IMG_0788.jpg
IMG_0790.jpg

Regarding the 2x3 Target shelves. I've had mine for only a few months, I originally bought the vertical model, but I decided it looked better horizontal when set up. Of course the main different I'm noticing is the vertical is made to have feet on on the bottom... vertically, and the same goes for the horizontal model. Anyways, my question is does anyone happen to know if the vertical and horizontal are basically the same exact build and how they are fastened, besides where the feet go? Hate for it to break or anything like that, because there are slight, but important differences between the two.

anyone check out the new Ikea Nornas shelves yet? Same shape as Kallax/Expedit but solid pine!!!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00280939/ horizontal

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40280937/ vertical

That's pretty boss.  I might actually order one of these...

Anyone have any suggestions for record store style shelves?

Ive seen the blueprint plans that originated from some audio karma thread, so if you have any new or different suggestions I would appreciate it

I have two. Pm me your email. I can send you some pictures. While I don't remember the exact dimensions, I'd be happy to answer any questions or take any pictures. I built as temporary solutions, but i've enjoyed them so much I left them alone. They are beyond convienent since I am constantly pulling records for my classroom, vinyl night, etc. 

10425008_10205005135342288_3932218200074

• jhulud locked this topic