PO: Beck - Morning Phaze

Its funny how this thing came out last week and people are already wanting another version

According the the steve hoffman forums this is a poor sounding press

Those people are nuts

I didnt like this album until I bought a copy and it hit my turntable. Its too good not to like

And to whoever said this is out of print....this is avail all over the place

Its funny how this thing came out last week and people are already wanting another version

According the the steve hoffman forums this is a poor sounding press

Those people are nuts

I didnt like this album until I bought a copy and it hit my turntable. Its too good not to like

And to whoever said this is out of print....this is avail all over the place

Your first mistake was reading the steve hoffman forums.

For anyone interested in the technical side of complaints about this not being an audiophile pressing/release, here is the source of these complaints:

http://www.audiostream.com/content/becks-imorning-phasei-2496-download-worth-it

In short, some guy analyzed the wave forms of the tracks and deduced, correctly I think, that several tracks on the hi res download are actually MP3s. The assumption is that these are the same versions/files used to press the record. As most people know, MP3 is a lossy format and by definition not of audiophile quality.

I don't know: record sounds great to me.

Will read later, but how does a bad download version make the vinyl version non-audiophile? Where is the sense in that?

They are presuming the master file that was sold as a hi rez download is the same file used to press the LP. Tho I'm not an expert, this is usually the case: the artist signs off on on 1 final mixed master and that is the one used to make all the various versions, CD, LP, MP3, etc.

Why would the download code be the same files used to press the record? Those are typically wav files, which are bigger than most people care to deal with. Just because someone is buying vinyl doesn't mean they're an audiophile, per se, and feel the need to have the highest quality digital download to be accompanied. Maybe I'm just speaking for myself.

Why would the download code be the same files used to press the record? Those are typically wav files, which are bigger than most people care to deal with. Just because someone is buying vinyl doesn't mean they're an audiophile, per se, and feel the need to have the highest quality digital download to be accompanied. Maybe I'm just speaking for myself.

He's not saying anything about the DL code. He is saying a master set of files, usually hi-res, are used to make all the versions of the record (CD, DL, and vinyl). In the end, they all come from the same source file.