2014 Record Store Day - April 19

gmoney

Is the Casket Lottery/SBB repress still happening? One site has it listed as cancelled, and that's the only thing I'd be interested in.

That's an unofficial release and you will be able to get it here http://www.vvinyl.com/v/the-casket-lottery-small-brown-bike-split-12/4701 !!

So far the thing I'm most excited for!

What process do you like best for RSD? Everything out in the bins no limits. Everything in bins limited. Or the menu approach? (Get in line fill out your "order" give it to them, they pull the order and you pay. No shopping around)

My store does it with limited people in the store at a time.  And also its only 1 of each item.  I like that the best, because its not overly crowded and it gives everyone a chance.

My store does the "menu" approach. You stand in a long line that snakes around the store. You to get the RSD table where they have 5 or so employees taking "orders" and they grab it for you if they have it then you go to the front and pay. Only thing I don;t like about this is that's it's impossible to shop for other things since the lines go up and down the aisles of product.

Not sure if you're mocking my comment, but I'll explain a little more why I feel the way I do. ;) I get that some people may be really turned off by his personality, but that's not what bothers me, actually. It's his complete lack of knowledge on what he is speaking about. He obviously is very excited about vinyl and enjoys what he's doing, and that's awesome, but he needs to nail down some facts about the releases he's talking about. That and improve his knowledge of the music business and record pressing in general. Oh and that equipment episode he did was horrifying.

As is, he comes across more fanboy than nerd.

No no no, I was totally agreeing with you that HE is totally insufferable.

and of course you can't handle the lps with this approach ^...I often do an impulse buy after getting my hands on something, seeing great packaging or whatever. I'm glad none of the stores here do it that way.

The bigger one - Electric Fetus - hands out numbers and lets 10 or so at a time into a specific aisle of RSD stuff, 1 of each item limit. The rest of the store is open for shopping with bands playing in one corner. Food trucks out back. The other stores here, you queue up, they open the doors and everyone runs in. Tense but pretty fun.

and of course you can't handle the lps with this approach ^...I often do an impulse buy after getting my hands on something, seeing great packaging or whatever. I'm glad none of the stores here do it that way.

The bigger one - Electric Fetus - hands out numbers and lets 10 or so at a time into a specific aisle of RSD stuff, 1 of each item limit. The rest of the store is open for shopping with bands playing in one corner. Food trucks out back. The other stores here, you queue up, they open the doors and everyone runs in. Tense but pretty fun.

If my store did that I would not go.  I dont like crowds, and a million people running behind me to push me over to get a record would just kill the mood for me.

If my store did that I would not go.  I dont like crowds, and a million people running behind me to push me over to get a record would just kill the mood for me.

The store I went to last year did that. It was shitty. I was 3rd in line, and got there about 3 hours before they opened, and once they opened the doors, I had maybe an extra 10 seconds ahead of people who showed up ten minutes before. 

The store I went to last year did that. It was shitty. I was 3rd in line, and got there about 3 hours before they opened, and once they opened the doors, I had maybe an extra 10 seconds ahead of people who showed up ten minutes before. 

UGH so shitty... That would just make me leave honestly...

This will be my first RSD but the owner of my local shop said he allows 10 people in the store at one time, but it seems to be a mad dash against those other people once you get in the door. Luckily I have strange taste in music compared to that stores normal crowd, I guess.

I'd much prefer the menu method: Patient people are rewarded in that if you only have yourself to blame for not waking up early enough if you don't get the releases you wanted.

This will be my first RSD but the owner of my local shop said he allows 10 people in the store at one time, but it seems to be a mad dash against those other people once you get in the door. Luckily I have strange taste in music compared to that stores normal crowd, I guess.

I'd much prefer the menu method: Patient people are rewarded in that if you only have yourself to blame for not waking up early enough if you don't get the releases you wanted.

I think last year my store let in about 5-8 people at a time.  It was nice, and there was room to breathe.

I don't think there's usually a huge crowd but this is the first time I'm going early so I'm a little worried because it's a small store and there's just one corner for all the RSD stuff.

I just want to shop in peace because he usually does sales on items received before a certain date so I like to try and grab a few of the ones I've been wanting.

What process do you like best for RSD? Everything out in the bins no limits. Everything in bins limited. Or the menu approach? (Get in line fill out your "order" give it to them, they pull the order and you pay. No shopping around)

I've been going to two stores right down the street from each other for years - Bull Moose and Newbury Comics in Salem, NH.

The experience at Bull Moose is among the worst things I've ever been a part of. They put the records in some bins and just let everyone in. It's a giant rush to get in, and because the records are in bins you have to flip through, only maybe 8-10 people can actually get anything resembling a reasonable look at the records at once. Despite this, you have 50-60 people seething around like a early-90s mosh pit trying to get a look at the records. It's terrible and I hate them for doing it. If that's how they're doing it again this year, I'm never going back to that store because fuck that.

Picture these sort of bins, but they'll be 4 individual compartments instead of 6:

record-store_001.jpg

Last year they broke it out so there was one set of 4 bins at the front of the store and one set at the back, which I guess at least spread out the mob around each bin, but then you had to fight through two mobs to get at records.

The Salem Bull Moose could easily solve this problem by only letting in 10 people at a time, but they've shown no signs of doing this over the 5-6 years I've been going.

The Newbury Comics right down the street used to just let everyone in the doors in a mob, but last year they had some good sense and started limiting it to about 10 or so people at a time, and they'd let another group in once those people were in line at the register or had left the RSD section for the rest of the store. It was pretty refreshing after dealing with the worst Bull Moose crowd yet.

The "menu" approach sounds really intruiging. I've never experienced that but it sounds delightful and civilized, which is the kind of thing I'd like to see in my RSD experience since it's usually barbaric.

At my store we limit the amount of people allowed in at any time and all the product is spread out the store on the walls and other displays. I find this is way better than putting the RSD stuff in a bin like the picture above. This way it's more like an Easter egg hunt trying to find what you are looking for instead of 15 people crowding around one section.

At my store we limit the amount of people allowed in at any time and all the product is spread out the store on the walls and other displays. I find this is way better than putting the RSD stuff in a bin like the picture above. This way it's more like an Easter egg hunt trying to find what you are looking for instead of 15 people crowding around one section.

That sounds downright heavenly.