2014 Record Store Day - April 19

gmoney

Totally insufferable.

Not sure if you're mocking my comment, but I'll explain a little more why I feel the way I do. ;) I get that some people may be really turned off by his personality, but that's not what bothers me, actually. It's his complete lack of knowledge on what he is speaking about. He obviously is very excited about vinyl and enjoys what he's doing, and that's awesome, but he needs to nail down some facts about the releases he's talking about. That and improve his knowledge of the music business and record pressing in general. Oh and that equipment episode he did was horrifying.

As is, he comes across more fanboy than nerd.

So for anyone in the LA area, what are your previous experiences with RSD? Is Amoeba a complete shit show or can I show up early in the morning and still find a lot of good stuff?

Any other stores that will have most of the releases that are less crowded?

I'm driving passed Amoeba to go down to Fingerprints in Long Beach - meeting up with andrewlucas. I hear Amoeba is nuts.

My girlfriend and I went to Amoeba Hollywood in '12 to pick up a few things after waiting in line and buying most of what we wanted at Origami and do not plan on visiting Amoeba for RSD again. A line that was still wrapped around the block that took a couple hours to get through. They get a ton of copies of most everything, but there are so many people that there's really nothing they can do to make the experience very enjoyable.

It is worth noting that the line that wraps around the block is specifically for RSD releases. They have a list posted a board at the entrance allowing employees to mark items off as they sell out. You're given a list to write down what you want and they put together your order when you approach the front of the line, then ring you up for and give you what they had left.

I'm up in Northern California now, but if I was still down there I'd still be going to Origami. The people that work there are friendly and they only allow around 10 people in the store at a time to shop around without being too crowded or rushed. The first person in line gets to shop around alone in the store to ensure they get what they want.

My local store posted on facebook this week that there's a new rule this year stating any stores opening earlier than normal must notify RSD ahead of time or else they will be "in violation of their RSD pledge" and will not be able to participate in the future. They did a midnight opening last year, but now they have to open at 8:00.

That happened to attic records in Pittsburgh last year. They didn't get anything for Black Friday either.

So for anyone in the LA area, what are your previous experiences with RSD? Is Amoeba a complete shit show or can I show up early in the morning and still find a lot of good stuff?

Any other stores that will have most of the releases that are less crowded?

If you hit up Amoeba later at night, its not crowded, and as long as your not after something super rare, it most likely will be there. I went last year at 9 or 10pm and was able to grab what i wanted. Durring the day try:

- Permanent Records in Eagle Rock on Colorodo Blvd

- Mount Analog in Highland Park (near Ave. 50 on Figeroa)

- Gimmie Gimme at 4630 York Blvd (used to live behind the shop!)

- Origami in Echo Park

- Vacation in Silverlake

- maybe also try Jacknife in Atwater village and Rockaway Records near the 2 and Fletcher

All these shops are relitively close to each other and I used to be able to hit them all up in a day

Hahah! I was worried too, but there are two 24/7 gas stations right next to the record store I go to.

I guess it won't be too bad seeing as I'm going with a friend, we can take shifts waiting in line if one of us has to go.  But then again I'm also worried that people will be assholes and think we're cutting in line or something when one of us returns.

My local store posted on facebook this week that there's a new rule this year stating any stores opening earlier than normal must notify RSD ahead of time or else they will be "in violation of their RSD pledge" and will not be able to participate in the future. They did a midnight opening last year, but now they have to open at 8:00.

What a load of horse shit. I have heard so many stupid things since I started following RSD, but this is the worst. "In violation of their RSD pledge?" Are you fucking kidding me? If I know anything about economics (and I don't), major labels and most indie labels participating in RSD are raking in a metric fuck-ton of cash in the weeks leading up to April 19th. Brick-and-mortar shops assume all of the risk for turning any of these records for a profit when they buy them in bulk from pressing plants/labels/distributors, whatever. There are RSD 2012 titles still sitting in their shrink at my local shop that will never be bought because so much stupid shit gets pressed. Nobody fucking asked for four Aerosmith records this year.

That being said, Record Store Day is not anything more than a cash grab for everyone involved, so if Jack White, and whoever the representative this year is, wants to assign some phoney sentimentality to what time a store opens he can fuck himself. What a poseur. 

I'm shocked that RSD as a whole hasn't come to terms with itself that for the most part, it appeals to kids with Crosleys and flippers, and there are a few cool releases each time around that keep this bullshit going. That Bull Moose video had some very cool stuff in it, but that's from a list of over 700 releases. 

/end rant

I've never went out early to try and get stuff for RSD. I'm legitimately worried about having to piss really bad while waiting in line.

I made the mistake of drinking coffee with no food last year. Was 100% fine and as luck would have it, 5 minutes before the store opened my lower intestine imploded. Thought I was going to crap out where I stood. As the line went inside, I started sweating and thought I'd pass out. The feeling passed after a while but I've never been so close to public involuntary disembowlment

If you hit up Amoeba later at night, its not crowded, and as long as your not after something super rare, it most likely will be there. I went last year at 9 or 10pm and was able to grab what i wanted. Durring the day try:

- Permanent Records in Eagle Rock on Colorodo Blvd

- Mount Analog in Highland Park (near Ave. 50 on Figeroa)

- Gimmie Gimme at 4630 York Blvd (used to live behind the shop!)

- Origami in Echo Park

- Vacation in Silverlake

- maybe also try Jacknife in Atwater village and Rockaway Records near the 2 and Fletcher

All these shops are relitively close to each other and I used to be able to hit them all up in a day

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions! Vacation is my go-to so I'll probably give them a call and see what they're getting in. 

I guess it won't be too bad seeing as I'm going with a friend, we can take shifts waiting in line if one of us has to go.  But then again I'm also worried that people will be assholes and think we're cutting in line or something when one of us returns.

Off topic: Your avatar keeps reminding me that I just purchased "death of the family" and am really excited to read it.

The bosses are peacin' out for Easter vacation so it looks like my coworker and I will be running the show here in Bergen. Pretty pumped. Things could get interesting seeing that we have a liquor license.  A tad worried that there might not be much of a turn out since it's Easter saturday (Norwegians take their Easter seriously. Stores are closed all week and everyone's skiing in the mountains).  We decided to take preorders from customers this time around to ensure they got what they wanted and we wouldn't get stuck ordering a bunch of stuff that didn't sell. I am prepared for those that didn't get that memo to freak out when I tell them we're out of the Springsteen single while handing out reserved ones.