2014 Record Store Day - April 19

gmoney

This record is all instrumental?

It's a not bad but not great 50 minute reduction of their 24 hour long song.

Coyne's a dick anyway, he kicked Kliph out of the group so fuck buying this release.

He is indeed but Kliph helped put this together so I don't feel bad about buying it. 

Apparently Dessa is doing an extremely limited run of Castor for RSD.

http://tinyurl.com/obt2znh

If anyone is going to any of those shops and would be willing to snag me one, I'd be eternally grateful.

The list in RSD.com said that this as limited to 500 (I think), but on doomtree.net, it is listed as being /1000, so that's good news. I'm hoping I can get one as well.

Is there any released info about Velvet Underground - Loaded and The Zombies - O+O that are being released for RSD? How are they supposed to have been mastered? 

The Bull Moose video said it was a different master than the less recent release, I guess, but he didn't really say anything other than the listener would have to decide which he liked more... which I know isn't that helpful, haha.

The list in RSD.com said that this as limited to 500 (I think), but on doomtree.net, it is listed as being /1000, so that's good news. I'm hoping I can get one as well.

They also mentioned putting some online later.

If it is 1000 maybe they held some back? That seems like a LOT to hold back though

You can pre order the far cry 3: blood dragon vinyl here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Far-Cry-Blood-Dragon-VINYL/dp/B00IX64F4A/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1397650716&sr=1-1&keywords=blood+dragon

Pretty expensive though.

How can this even be pre ordered? I thought it was "forbidden" to sell RSD before hand.

To be fair does it say it's a RSD exclusive? Maybe it's getting a regular release as well?

The Bull Moose video said it was a different master than the less recent release, I guess, but he didn't really say anything other than the listener would have to decide which he liked more... which I know isn't that helpful, haha.

I'll move over into possibly too much info. Once again Varese Sarabande's RSD titles were mastered by Steve Massie and pressed by Erika Records. They generally do a nice job.

The most notable difference between this pressing of Odessey & Oracle and Varese Sarabande's CD is that the CD used a mono mix of "This Will Be Our Year." The LP is stereo all the way through. The mono mix on the CD contains horn overdubs that are not on the LP. Without the horns, you can hear a little more of the soft organ near the end. 

Disclaimer: I'm a little reluctant to get too specific about the mastering differences because I am currently using the phono circuit of my old Proton receiver instead of a dedicated phono stage. It introduces some distortion and noise. However, the difference between the LP and the CD is what you kind of expect. The LP is warmer while the CD is crisper. The LP is a lot more "in your face" than the CD, which suggests that a reasonable amount of compression was applied. It certainly isn't brickwalled; I'd say it was a tasteful artistic choice made by an experienced engineer. Whatever Massie did brings out the vocal in a way that some people will like. They are a different listening experience - both satisfying, just different. It's a pretty reserved album anyway, so Massie's approach will definitely be preferred by some listeners.

For those who aren't familiar with Odessey & Oracle, it is an essential purchase for fans of 60s British Psych. If you love Sgt. Pepper, Piper at The Gates of Dawn, and Are You Experienced?, this music belongs in your collection.

People who like this stuff should also keep their eyes out for the other Zombies title, which has a bit more of a Britsh Invasion sound. The Yardbirds Little Games also is being reissued (stereo, if I remember correctly.) The Idle Race (Jeff Lynne) sounds way more like The Zombies than ELO. July is darker psych from '67 or '68. There also is a Rough Guide to Psychedelic Bolivia and one other international psych comp whose name I forget. 

A harder title to find will be Yardbirds/Sounds I Heard, which contains outtakes and live stuff. It's all taken from the Glipmses box set from 2012, so if you have that, the only reasons you need this are if you are a Yardbirds completist or wodl prefer to have them on vinyl.

To be fair does it say it's a RSD exclusive? Maybe it's getting a regular release as well?

I had a real quick word with Invada to verify that it was a legit listing. They didn't really know and recommended avoiding Amazon for this release. For all we know, they could have absolutely zero stock of it. Wouldn't be the first time.