The S U R V I V E Thread - First album repressing, PO now

1 hour ago, fish said:

The guy from 540 now has copies of the s/t for $100 on discogs. What a dick.

He had them up for $18.99 when people started discovering Stranger Things and I missed out. I was able to get one for $35 from him. I don't blame him at all for raising the price. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of people selling them for more, bought them from him for cheap. Why should he sell them for way below what the going rate is, so everyone else can sell them for more? Not a dick at all. He put his ass on the line by releasing this and they just sat around. He got lucky that the show brought the fans. Maybe you should have bought one when no one cared. I wish I did.

I have this record and also helped point out places that had it still for under $20 last month. I have no real issues with regular people "flipping" for whatever market value is. But when labels do it themselves that just seems really crappy to me. I really don't think that labels and retail stores should be jacking up prices on new hot items. Newbury does crap like this with items they press and it drives me nuts. And didn't someone here say this was getting repressed again soon? If that is true and he knows it that is even worse.

43 minutes ago, hammertime said:

So the label shouldn't make big money off their own hard work, but everyone else can?  Huh?

Not what is being said, dawg. If the label owns the rights to the music, why sell the remaining copies for dickhole prices when he could just keep repressing it and keep making money. I swear to fucking God, common business sense isn't compatible with vinyl. 

56 minutes ago, hammertime said:

So the label shouldn't make big money off their own hard work, but everyone else can?  Huh?

No it's not okay for any label, big or small, to price gouge listeners.  That's setting a horrible precedent for the industry.  By your theory, every label should charge triple figures retail for each limited, in demand release. And you're okay with that because some dipshit might later make $80 on eBay or Discogs?  All due respect, but that's a ridiculous train of thought. Any label charging secondary market prices for their retail product should be ashamed of themselves. Respectable labels work tirelessly to get copies of their band's record into as many collections as possible. They don't charge listeners 5x what they originally did because they are the only outlet with stock left.

Edited by kisol

I understand where people are coming from on this, but I stand by my original comment. This isn't Newbury. This is a tiny label and they probably want to release more music. Getting money from this release would help with that. It would be hard to put up a record for $20 and then to see a guy buy it and sell it for over $100. If you're paying $100 for this record, you are a bit shortsighted anyway. They will repress this and probably in some fancy colors. I had a hard time justifying paying $35, because I knew they would eventually repress it. In the end, I'm too impatient and bought it with no regrets. I'm really looking forward to listening to the new one.

1 hour ago, throughbeingcruel said:

Not what is being said, dawg. If the label owns the rights to the music, why sell the remaining copies for dickhole prices when he could just keep repressing it and keep making money. I swear to fucking God, common business sense isn't compatible with vinyl. 

Guess what you need to repress it?  MONEY.

1 hour ago, kisol said:

And you're okay with that because some dipshit might later make $80 on eBay or Discogs?

Dude literally said "I have no real issues with regular people 'flipping' for whatever market value is."   My point is if you're OK with that then you should be OK with the label doing the same, because they're the ones putting all the work and money into it.  Sheesh.

MI0002078725.jpg

Edited by hammertime

10 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Guess what you need to repress it?  MONEY.

^^^LOL. I love this business model... Charge $100 for a record so you can get money to repress it and sell it for $19.  I'm sorry but if your label has to rely on price gouging your most desirable release to stay afloat, it's time to hang it up. 

Edited by kisol

1 hour ago, kisol said:

No it's not okay for any label, big or small, to price gouge listeners.

Also, while I'm here, run, don't walk, to the nearest dictionary and look up the word "gouge".  If the open market has set a going rate of $100 for a record, it's not "gouging" for ANYONE to charge $100 for it.  Don't like it?  Don't buy it.

Edited by hammertime

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Also, while I'm here, run, don't walk, to the nearest dictionary and look up the word "gouge".  If the open market has set a going rate of $100 for a record, it's not "gouging" for ANYONE to charge $100 for it.  Don't like it?  Don't buy it.

Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to when a seller spikes the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair, and is considered exploitative, potentially to an unethical extent.

Ok and how is this not what he's doing?  Please tell me, if $100 was reasonable and fair, why wasn't the label selling it for that price all along?  Or why don't Relapse and Monofonus sell their SURVIVE releases for that? We'll all just be thankful they don't share your and 540's views on this matter. 

I would rather the label see the profit over someone who's set themselves a business as a flipper. But maybe I am in the minority. I think there is a middle ground where the label would charge maybe 50-60 for this. So not market rate, but a point where people swooping in don't just make a huge markup.

11 hours ago, kisol said:

Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to when a seller spikes the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair, and is considered exploitative, potentially to an unethical extent.

Ok and how is this not what he's doing?  Please tell me, if $100 was reasonable and fair, why wasn't the label selling it for that price all along?  Or why don't Relapse and Monofonus sell their SURVIVE releases for that? We'll all just be thankful they don't share your and 540's views on this matter. 

Really?  Now you want me to explain to you why all businesses don't make the same decisions?  Oh and BTW, Relapse DOES do this, they sell their limited "do not request" clear pressings on Discogs at inflated prices all the time.  Again, don't like it, don't buy it.

Edited by hammertime

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Really?  Now you want me to explain to you why all businesses don't make the same decisions?  Oh and BTW, Relapse DOES do this, they sell their limited "do not request" clear pressings on Discogs at inflated prices all the time.  Again, don't like it, don't buy it.

You're legitimately delusional. 

16 hours ago, hammertime said:

The label already makes their money by selling these for the amount they initially intended to and repressing them as needed. I'm certain they could easily get $ to repress a hot item like this if they didn't have it. At least those clear pressings relapse sells on discogs were never for sale so they don't have a real msrp.

i wasn't trying to start a big debate or anything just stating my personal opinion on my dislikes of labels and retail record stores doing this. Whoever says there are different rules for vinyl vs other businesses sure got that right.

34 minutes ago, fish said:

At least those clear pressings relapse sells on discogs were never for sale so they don't have a real msrp.

There's no justification in this argument.  It cost Relapse the same to make as any other copy. They purposely created these copies up front, in fact, to do exactly what 540 is doing with their final copies by circumstance - flip for much more than standard markup. So while 540 has had ONE stroke of luck after their high risk, relatively no-name band hit it big, Relapse plans this high mark-up capitalism up front, for ALL releases.  And that's ok. I feel like most labels do this to some extent, some more subtly than others. Part of capitalism and running a business.

My opinion:

1. People (and even labels) can do whatever they like with their records.

2. Caveat emptor.

3. Don't like it, don't buy it and/or wait for the repress.

2 minutes ago, freedumb said:

There's no justification in this argument.  It cost Relapse the same to make as any other copy. They purposely created these copies up front, in fact, to do exactly what 540 is doing with their final copies by circumstance - flip for much more than standard markup. So while 540 has had ONE stroke of luck after their high risk, relatively no-name band hit it big, Relapse plans this high mark-up capitalism up front, for ALL releases.  And that's ok. I feel like most labels do this to some extent, some more subtly than others. Part of capitalism and running a business.

My opinion:

1. People (and even labels) can do whatever they like with their records.

2. Caveat emptor.

3. Don't like it, don't buy it and/or wait for the repress.

Is it actually Relapse Records making a bunch of clear copies available, or is it a couple employees selling theirs off? The clears are for label staff and bands, so a couple employees could easily make bank off their clear variants. 

24 minutes ago, freedumb said:

Yes.  Yes, they are.

Alright, then that's fucked. I'm so glad Deathwish doesn't do that shit. It's different if a label puts something like that up for auction for a charity, that's always cool. Just hawking your own releases is fucking bullshit. 

4 minutes ago, throughbeingcruel said:

Alright, then that's fucked. I'm so glad Deathwish doesn't do that shit. It's different if a label puts something like that up for auction for a charity, that's always cool. Just hawking your own releases is fucking bullshit. 

Deathwish sells their test pressings for a pretty good markup. 

Their cost for those is less than the retail release, since it's rolled into the general press run. They also don't come with artwork or fancy labels. 

By by your logic, they should be selling them for no more than the regular release. Are we just picking and choosing which labels are allowed to markup their records to collectors?

19 minutes ago, unknown pleasures said:

Deathwish sells their test pressings for a pretty good markup. 

Their cost for those is less than the retail release, since it's rolled into the general press run. They also don't come with artwork or fancy labels. 

By by your logic, they should be selling them for no more than the regular release. Are we just picking and choosing which labels are allowed to markup their records to collectors?

I'm pretty sure you have to pay extra for tests. You do with cassettes. Still, selling tests isn't the same as selling the retail copies at a markup. I don't give a fuck about tests at all so I think paying anything more than retail is dumb. 

Edited by throughbeingcruel

Received the white variant. Gonna listen to the FLACs at work.

Packaging is pretty standard. White vinyl is typical with some black smudging, standard weight.

The digital files came with a pdf outlining every piece of equipment they used on each track, which is pretty cool for the nerds out there.

The track Low Fog is really good. I mean really good.