Fuckin' USPS' Network Distribution Centers: the thread.

When my wife was stuck in her country for a few months, we'd send each other post cards back and forth. She wasn't aware that you have to write the zip code in the US (in her country, the zip code can be inferred from the city and street, so it is optional). Most of the post cards arrived fine, but the last one made it all the to my sorting facility and was sent back all the way to her country marked "undeliverable as addressed."

Yeah they seem to be touch and go when it comes to the addresses being incomplete.  I know that USPS check zips first and sometimes they'll fill it in or correct it if it's incorrect.  I guess it really comes down to who is handling the mail and what they decide to take extra time to fix vs the workers who don't really care and just throw it in the undelivered pile.

So, a little update on this. I got another message from the buyer saying that the still haven't received it after six weeks. I checked the tracking number again to see what was going on. The only entry is "Package has left seller facility and is in transit to carrier" , so that just means I printed off the shipping label at home. When I took the package to the post office, I took it straight to the clerk, and he had me fill out a customs form. I then gave the package directly to him and he told me it was good to go. Six weeks later and I have no idea where it's at so I went to the post office to ask about it. It's a really small post office that only has one person working there. I talked to the man and told him that it had never been scanned in or had any updates. He looked around and couldn't find the package, so he told me to check at the other post office. I drove over there and talked with a clerk there. Here's what I understood of what he told me. The customs form "overrules" the tracking number. They can't scan that tracking number in, and the customs number takes the place of it. I didn't know that the customs number could be tracked. I can't find my customs receipt, so basically I'm screwed out of the $125 I sold the Apple TV for, because the package hasn't showed up and I have no way to prove I sent it, and they won't insure it unless they can prove the value via the customs form. He told me it could be stuck at customs, but with it being six weeks already, I doubt the package is ever going to get there or be returned to me. :-/

Another update. The buyer filed a claim with Amazon to get a refund. After a week, the money was taken out of my account to give the buyer a refund. The very next day I got an email from the buyer saying they just received the package. I called Amazon to see what I could do about getting my money from the buyer because the package arrived. I was told the only way for me to get money back was to email the seller and ask them to either send the item back or have them call Amazon customer service to authorize another charge to their account to pay for the item again. I sent a nice email to the customer and I just got an email from Amazon saying the money will be back in my account in a few days. I'm pretty relieved this ended well. 

Another update. The buyer filed a claim with Amazon to get a refund. After a week, the money was taken out of my account to give the buyer a refund. The very next day I got an email from the buyer saying they just received the package. I called Amazon to see what I could do about getting my money from the buyer because the package arrived. I was told the only way for me to get money back was to email the seller and ask them to either send the item back or have them call Amazon customer service to authorize another charge to their account to pay for the item again. I sent a nice email to the customer and I just got an email from Amazon saying the money will be back in my account in a few days. I'm pretty relieved this ended well. 

Glad to hear this worked out for you

I did eventually get my money back for this one, but it still frustrates me due to the fact I specifically asked for extra packaging (it was rare and expensive) and all it came with was a mailer about as thin as a sheet of toilet paper and nothing on the inside to protect it. As you can see, USPS took extra good care of it.

DSCN2899.JPG

DSCN2902.JPG

I did eventually get my money back for this one, but it still frustrates me due to the fact I specifically asked for extra packaging (it was rare and expensive) and all it came with was a mailer about as thin as a sheet of toilet paper and nothing on the inside to protect it. As you can see, USPS took extra good care of it.

DSCN2899.JPG

DSCN2902.JPG

Just curious did you ask for insurance when buying this rare record? It's normally a couple extra bucks and worth it. USPS tends to "care" more about those insured items. Also, ask all buyers to write "Fragile" and to ask the mail man to officially stamp the package "Fragile" and "do not bend."

Fuckin USPS....

OaapncS.jpg

QJXIVgw.jpg

Just curious did you ask for insurance when buying this rare record? It's normally a couple extra bucks and worth it. USPS tends to "care" more about those insured items. Also, ask all buyers to write "Fragile" and to ask the mail man to officially stamp the package "Fragile" and "do not bend."

• 2 weeks later...

a mail man in NY was caught throwing mail into a dumpster. over 1,000 pieces of mail recivered from 4 different dumpsters.

http://screen.yahoo.com/popular/postal-worker-accused-throwing-away-161300707.html

"According to the United States Postal Service, he is no longer delivering mail."

You don't say?

I literally dread going to my post office because they have the same guy at the counter they've had since I moved here in '98.  Here's the reviews of our post office on google+:

"They sometimes have a guy that works there on Saturday mornings, who looks like he ate horse tranquilizers, rat poison, Dramamine and Benadryl for breakfast; nothing compared to the new lady. Now they have this new nervous-superhyped women nutjob who works the counters in the morning sometimes."

"Guy that works the counter ALWAYS looks like he needs a shower, shave and a haircut. Not to mention don't dare ask for help because that will only slow him down further. Paint dries faster than this guy moves!!

Disliked: Painfully slow!!"

"Poor service!!! This is the worst postal office! The EMPLOYEE that is always there is unrespectful, rude, it looks that he doesn't like his job."

"The world's slowest post office. Seriously. It's painful to go there. Is that guy always hung over or does he just look that way?"

I literally dread going to my post office because they have the same guy at the counter they've had since I moved here in '98.  Here's the reviews of our post office on google+:

"They sometimes have a guy that works there on Saturday mornings, who looks like he ate horse tranquilizers, rat poison, Dramamine and Benadryl for breakfast; nothing compared to the new lady. Now they have this new nervous-superhyped women nutjob who works the counters in the morning sometimes."

"Guy that works the counter ALWAYS looks like he needs a shower, shave and a haircut. Not to mention don't dare ask for help because that will only slow him down further. Paint dries faster than this guy moves!!

Disliked: Painfully slow!!"

"Poor service!!! This is the worst postal office! The EMPLOYEE that is always there is unrespectful, rude, it looks that he doesn't like his job."

"The world's slowest post office. Seriously. It's painful to go there. Is that guy always hung over or does he just look that way?"

you could cut and paste this for any of the Philly post office branches. Have you been to the Southwark location in South Philly? It's one of the 7 levels of Dante's Inferno.

you could cut and paste this for any of the Philly post office branches. Have you been to the Southwark location in South Philly? It's one of the 7 levels of Dante's Inferno.

Haha no, in fact the other one I go to in Northeast Philly is actually much easier to deal with, but also further. Usually I print my own labels to throw him off, but other times I just let him do it. "Media mail? What are you sending, a book?" "No, a vinyl record." The look I got after was pretty funny, as if he just solved one of life's great mysteries. Can't give them too much hell cause my carriers have been excellent in handling my stuff.

I live in Troy NY, which is about 5 minutes outside of Albany NY. When I order from MerchNow, I used to get my albums in one day. Now they go from Albany NY, to NJ, then to Mass., then back to Troy. I pass the MerchNow shipping facility every single day on my way to the gym. Three states on their media mail route which is literally a 10 minute drive for me is absolutely crazy! Maybe this is part of the reason the USPS is in financial turmoil. Yes, I've called MerchNow and they will not allow me to pick my orders up, I've heard 3 different reason: 1. Insurance purposes 2. Due to street dates 3. We're a delivery service, not a drive through 

I live in Troy NY, which is about 5 minutes outside of Albany NY. When I order from MerchNow, I used to get my albums in one day. Now they go from Albany NY, to NJ, then to Mass., then back to Troy. I pass the MerchNow shipping facility every single day on my way to the gym. Three states on their media mail route which is literally a 10 minute drive for me is absolutely crazy! Maybe this is part of the reason the USPS is in financial turmoil. Yes, I've called MerchNow and they will not allow me to pick my orders up, I've heard 3 different reason: 1. Insurance purposes 2. Due to street dates 3. We're a delivery service, not a drive through

That's laughable on two counts. One the logistics and routing being terrible and two merchnow "we're a delivery service, not a drive through"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i mailed something to ohio once. printed label from ebay and i got it returned to me from a completly different person in ny. the buyer accused me of sending it to the wrong person and i will never understand how that happened.

my mailman likes to lay them flat on the ground in front of the door lately. because these totally no chance they will get stepped on at allll

How does one go about locating a package that the tracking number says was delivered but was never received? This happened to me today and I think it was probably delivered to the wrong address bc my carrier is a moron. It was addressed correctly, too.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Called my local branch today.... told the woman what happened and she put me on hold.  When she came back she said "Well I don't see it here."  No kidding, it was delivered somewhere else.  Then she told me to call back Monday morning when the carrier is there.  Idk what this is going to accomplish.  I was hoping someone in my complex received it in their mailbox by accident and would leave it on my doormat today, but no dice.

Not sure how to get this sorted out.

Rant: So today, I was checking a package that said it had been delivered but wasn't here when I got home. I started to freak for a few minutes because our carrier knows not to leave packages if we aren't home. So i look around and don't see it. Then I decided the post office isn't too far so I get in my car and drive there. They told me he's at this apartment complex, go there and grab it. He's cool, so i figured I would be able to find him easily. Instead he isn't anywhere around there. So I drive around the neighborhood and don't see him. Then I drive back to the post office and tell another lady my situation and she says "so what do you want?" and i reply "my package" She tells me to go to another door and ring the bell. No one hears the bell or comes to the door so i ring a second time. Just as I'm about to go back to her someone almost hits me with the door and apologizes and calls for the supervisor. He tells me "give me your number and he'll call you when he gets back or I'lll have him run by your house." No worries. So I come home and look all over the porch and everything trying to see if he left a notice. I didn't see it because he had jammed it between the door and frame that we never open. Still waiting on the call.

Other USPS complaint: I sent three packages off Monday, two were delivered today and the third still says it left my post office for the sort facility. But it hasn't gotten to the sort facility. A little worried because it was RSD release for someone on the board.

Called my local branch today.... told the woman what happened and she put me on hold.  When she came back she said "Well I don't see it here."  No kidding, it was delivered somewhere else.  Then she told me to call back Monday morning when the carrier is there.  Idk what this is going to accomplish.  I was hoping someone in my complex received it in their mailbox by accident and would leave it on my doormat today, but no dice.

Not sure how to get this sorted out.

Sometimes you have to go to them. I hate when that happens, but its so archaic the way they operate. Hopefully you were able to get it sorted out.

Sometimes you have to go to them. I hate when that happens, but its so archaic the way they operate. Hopefully you were able to get it sorted out.

I work 8-5 so I can't go to the branch unfortunately.  My carrier called me twice yesterday to try to help me locate the package and he didn't come up with anything.  After trying to contact the sender, I had to file a paypal claim because nobody was getting back to me.  I guess I'll see what happens since it looks like they put the wrong address on the package.  My carrier said he has a parcel list for everything he delivers and he had nothing for me on Friday (when the tracking # says it was delivered), so who knows what address was actually on the package.