Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

On 6/23/2016 at 4:48 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

Ahhh I had a feeling this would happen.  It was worth a shot!  The band will have some of the standard edition ones, so make sure to find them on Facebook.  I hate the price too, but I like the release....  so I'm going for it.  It's the label also that is putting them out; the band didn't finance the release.  28.99 euro for the deluxe 22.99 for the standard.  Blah.  

Thomas....  that sounds great.  I'm not sure yet if i'll make it out there, but I'll contact you and hopefully we can maybe work something out?    

Let me know whatever happens.

9 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

Let me know how the pressing quality is. If it's good I'll probably grab it. Every time I see 'Glasir' I think of Glaciers. Have you heard them, Brian? I can't remember if I gave you a digital copy of it, but I'm leaning toward yes.

9 hours ago, The Butcha said:

I think of the same haha. And yes you gave Glaciers to me. Very good shit. I'm also still in awe that you found this and gumbo didn't. I vote gumbo takes the $24 he's going to save and put it in a piggy bank for his new turntable. 

Yeah the band has their copies...   but I'm after the /100!  I'm going to pick the /133 up from them, as well as a shirt.  But hey man if you want those Glaciers albums, I don't ever listen to mine.... I'm sure we could work out a fair price. 

19 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

If only the world worked that way.

But what you're saying is that you can't buy a good table cause records keep coming out, so you have to buy them?

I just don't get the logic there. You buy all these great records, but then don't invest in a system to hear how great they sound? I just don't understand when people spend SO much money on records, invest so much money in records, and don't invest any money towards what they use to listen to them? 

Truthfully, I think a large part of it is not knowing what to get.  There's so many choices, and it's not something I have experience with, so I don't really have a frame of reference to go on.  Nobody else I know in my real life is into records, and I haven't had a chance yet to make it up to that Adirondack store you hipped me to a while back.  Hopefully in the next couple weeks I can get up there and talk to them.  I was at Guitar Center the other day, because I had some time and wanted to see what they had, and the dude there was telling me about this Pioneer they had, that Pioneer is owned by Technics and that it's basically made to be a copy of their stuff but a bit cheaper.  I forget what model it is, but they were asking like $480 or something I believe.  

Just now, Gumbo72203 said:

Yeah the band has their copies...   but I'm after the /100!  I'm going to pick the /133 up from them, as well as a shirt.  But hey man if you want those Glaciers albums, I don't ever listen to mine.... I'm sure we could work out a fair price. 

This will probably be doable. Let me relisten to them and ill get back to you on it.

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Truthfully, I think a large part of it is not knowing what to get.  There's so many choices, and it's not something I have experience with, so I don't really have a frame of reference to go on.  Nobody else I know in my real life is into records, and I haven't had a chance yet to make it up to that Adirondack store you hipped me to a while back.  Hopefully in the next couple weeks I can get up there and talk to them.  I was at Guitar Center the other day, because I had some time and wanted to see what they had, and the dude there was telling me about this Pioneer they had, that Pioneer is owned by Technics and that it's basically made to be a copy of their stuff but a bit cheaper.  I forget what model it is, but they were asking like $480 or something I believe.  

Honestly, if you ever want help navigating it all, I'll gladly help you with whatever you want. Whatever your preferences are, budget, requirements, etc., I'll help ya out. I've done it for a lot of my friends just getting into records, and would be more than happy to do the same for you for a budget audiophile set up. Cool thing is you can upgrade piece by piece over time. You don't have to drop all the money at once for it all, ya know? Amazon open box will save you a good deal, too. I've pretty much gotten most of my stuff open box and saved a good deal. Table was open box. My old speakers were open box. Amp was open box. Pre amp was open box. Headphone amp was open box. Headphones were open box. Got new speakers from my dealer discounted for buying a cart from them. Just gotta shop around, man.

Like I said, just message me and I'll be glad to help. I'm sure @Thomas³ would as well, cause we're both audio gear nerds.

Is it the Pioneer PLX 1000? That's the best "Super OEM" table that is a copy of a Technics 1200, but it had a lot of issues in the first run (and it goes for $700 new usually). You can do better for the $480, unless you can verify the Pioneer does not suffer from the bearing and tonearm issues of their first run tables. Pioneer does not own Technics, Technics is a Panasonic brand. I recommend avoiding "DJ" tables, unless you can find a super clean 1200 for a good price (good luck with that though). Like Matt said, we're here to help and so are a lot of people in the equipment forum. If you have a budget, etc, I'm sure we can find you something that will fit your needs.

On 6/25/2016 at 2:00 PM, Dave Grohl said:

^ Yeah, @Gumbo72203, Guitar Center and places like that don't usually sell listening tables. They lean towards DJ tables cause it falls under the music production field. So I would just avoid them all together honestly, cause those aren't the type of tables you are looking for.

Indeed; I figured because it had the S-shaped tone arm it was NOT a DJ table, like my Stanton is.  

Besides the table, my biggest thing is a new amp, because mine definitely adds a lot of hiss and noise as you turn it up.  It's not very clean.  

33 minutes ago, fizio59 said:

A copy of Caspian - D&D signed test press is on ebay 

http://m.ebay.com/itm/252446091499?_mwBanner=1

I laughed. Good thing I don't really care about test presses or I would cry. The FT/YATC wooden box was an exception cause it's special. : )

I hope the band has one for themselves at least.

I wish..... i won't be making it out.  My new job is absolutely exhausting, and I just don't have the fortitude to make that kind of drive right now lol.  Working with kids all day takes a lot out of you, especially when you're in the sun literally the entire day.  Except for when we swim, we're inside the facility.  But then you're swimming with kids.  Which is it's own energetic activity!

Also, have you guys ever heard of THESE guys?!?  They popped up on my Youtube suggestion feed, and I was blown away!  It's perfect post-rock!  Nothing out of the ordinary or new, but it's just so solidly well-done.  I wish they had vinyl.....

Goodbye, Titan - Daedalus

https://goodbyetitan.bandcamp.com/album/daedalus

Just picked up 2 post rock whales that I've been after for what seems like far too long now. At a hell of a price too.

Athletics - Why Aren't I Home? - Ultra Clear w/Black Splatter /100

Athletics - Who You Are Is Not Enough - Cup O' Joe /150

Little upcoming bday present to myself ;)

1 minute ago, The Butcha said:

Just picked up 2 post rock whales that I've been after for what seems like far too long now. At a hell of a price too.

Athletics - Why Aren't I Home? - Ultra Clear w/Black Splatter /100

Athletics - Who You Are Is Not Enough - Cup O' Joe /150

Little upcoming bday present to myself ;)

Oh damn, you were the one who bought that Who You Are Is Not Enough record on Discogs. I almost got that. Congrats on getting to them before me, haha! Back to searching.

20 minutes ago, deer said:

Oh damn, you were the one who bought that Who You Are Is Not Enough record on Discogs. I almost got that. Congrats on getting to them before me, haha! Back to searching.

It never seems to come up. I emailed the guy instantly and did the deal outside of discogs at a pretty sweet discount.

Just now, The Butcha said:

It never seems to come up. I emailed the guy instantly and did the deal outside of discogs at a pretty sweet discount.

Ahhhgghh I emailed the guy too but I must not have been enticing enough (see: I was buying only one of them instead of both like you)

Regardless, awesome score. I hope I can find a copy of their second album somewhere, eventually.

14 hours ago, deer said:

I have this on my Wantlist but I never got a notification.....  same thing happened with some other dude who bought the Conspiracy press of "Solace" some weeks ago.  Do you guys know if there is like, a time-function with when those things go out?  Or if someone buys it instantly, will it not notify people?  Because other times things will show up in my mailbox as "new items for sale in your wantlist" but then when I go to click the link for it, the item is no longer available. 

• jhulud locked this topic