seriously fuck eBay and their stupid fucking rules

i just need to vent.

not only do their rules make no sense, but they must have some of the worst customer service ever.

last month i sold a guitar on ebay.  the person who bought it is in germany.  in the auction page itself i specified that I would be shipping via surface but that the buyer had the option of paying for upgraded shipping if they wanted to.  i also said i wouldn't be held responsible for anything lost/damaged in transit.

the guy chooses not to upgrade shipping and within 2 or 3 days of receiving his payment (over $600ppd!) i send it off via surface w/ tracking.  i give him the tracking number.

surface from toronto to germany can take up to 10 weeks.  well its been about 4 weeks so of course it hasn't arrived yet, but yesterday morning the son of a bitch opened an ebay case on me claiming he never received it and as a result ebay has frozen the funds in my paypal account making me unable to withdraw them even though i already spent more than $100 of it on postage. 

the tracking shows that it arrived in his country this morning so nothing is wrong but in the meantime i have $600 of mine up in the air.

i called ebay and was blind transferred around by a bunch of people who barely speak english and told that i'd have to speak to someone from the german ebay about having my funds released.  i request someone who speaks english and of course the person who picks up only speaks german and hangs up on me.

two days and 2 hours on the phone later and i'm still no further ahead.  the fucking asshole buyer won't respond to my messages.  he'll probably have his guitar in a couple days and i will be out $600 for up to 30 days if he doesn't close the case.

how is this fair?

as a buyer I would have done the same thing. Paypal only gives you 40 days after the purchase to report anything wrong or a package not arriving . Regardless that you are saying its in transit its not in the purchaser's hand and He probably doesn't want to lose 600 either. Like people said in previous posts anytime you are sending anything out of your country you are rolling the dice. and you should have known the paypal 40 day policy and made it mandatory to have the item shipped out with an expedited service. 

as a buyer I would have done the same thing. Paypal only gives you 40 days after the purchase to report anything wrong or a package not arriving . Regardless that you are saying its in transit its not in the purchaser's hand and He probably doesn't want to lose 600 either. Like people said in previous posts anytime you are sending anything out of your country you are rolling the dice. and you should have known the paypal 40 day policy and made it mandatory to have the item shipped out with an expedited service. 

What why? As long as there is proof of shipment there is no reason what so ever to open a case. And the seller should always be contacted first. Your mindset is what's wrong with eBayers

What why? As long as there is proof of shipment there is no reason what so ever to open a case. And the seller should always be contacted first. Your mindset is what's wrong with eBayers

A proof of shipment is only showing the  buyer that a package has been mailed out. It doesn't show you the contents and after 40 days are up you are shit out of luck.  So when I get my guitar on day 42 and its a epiphone when I payed for a gibson. Paypal won't help me because the 40 days are up. 

A proof of shipment is only showing the  buyer that a package has been mailed out. It doesn't show you the contents and after 40 days are up you are shit out of luck.  So when I get my guitar on day 42 and its a epiphone when I payed for a gibson. Paypal won't help me because the 40 days are up. 

100% correct.  For all the buyer knows, they were mailed 20lbs worth of phone books.

On the other hand, if a malicious buyer knows that you will ship internationally and that you intend to use an exceptionally slow shipping method, it is probably not difficult for them to take advantage by tying up your money and possibly getting a refund before the item shows up.

all in all, not worth the hassle/risk.