Torrents / NZBs / File Sharing

I use a linux OS. All of this software was originally designed for linux so I guess it makes sense that there would be fewer bugs in that version.

But anyways, I got to config -> search providers and I have "NZBs R Us", "Womble's Index" and "Sick Beard Index" checked (although I'm pretty sure Sick Beard Index is the only one doing anything).

NZBmatrix used to be in there, not anymore. Seems like some newer ones have popped up. The developers will probably just keep rotating them in and out as they shut down.

But yeah...sick beard index has been finding everything I want automatically.

I had a very poor experience with SickBeard on Windows 7. Maybe I'll try with my new Windows 8 machine. Essentially it wouldn't add NZBs to my client. It's not too much of a hassle for me to manually grab the NZB files as long as I have a legit index. Crawler was kicking ass but it got popped. Seems like 7/10 NZBs I grab fail when unpacking. Not worth the monthly fee without a great index IMHO.

https://www.nzbgrabit.co.uk is really legit.  I don't use sickbeard either, always preferred indexing sites for some reason.  I know the benefits of sickbeard, but hell I used to browse usenet manually before nzb's even existed.  So an indexing site is plenty easy enough for me.

You can also try https://www.nzbzombie.com/

• 1 month later...

I think in today's world of filesharing you should just expect to pay $10 for an invite and join a good site rather than risk public stuff. It seems like all of them are going to cost a little money. It's so little money relative to what you get access to. I get the "it should be free" mentality but I got over it.

Also, this has kinda become the official thread for file sharing topics. Might find more info on where to go for some invites:

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/82672-torrents-nzbs-file-sharing/?hl=torrent#entry1359554

NZBGeek has some good stuff but you have to pay to use the API. You can also only manually download 3 nzbs per day.

I've been using sick beard index and NZBx APIs, which find about 80% of my shows automatically, then NZBGeek manually to get the few that don't download immediately.

But I'm also debating a jump to just private torrents (even after defending usenet recently). I'm not unwilling to pay for an index site, but it seems like the prices have gone up. NZBMatrix was something like $10 for 5 years and now it seems like they all want $10-20 per year. I also don't want to deal with bitcoins.

But the above described method is what I am rolling with now...

NZBGeek has some good stuff but you have to pay to use the API. You can also only manually download 3 nzbs per day.

I've been using sick beard index and NZBx APIs, which find about 80% of my shows automatically, then NZBGeek manually to get the few that don't download immediately.

But I'm also debating a jump to just private torrents (even after defending usenet recently). I'm not unwilling to pay for an index site, but it seems like the prices have gone up. NZBMatrix was something like $10 for 5 years and now it seems like they all want $10-20 per year. I also don't want to deal with bitcoins.

But the above described method is what I am rolling with now...

Cool. I'll look into those. Sickbeard still seems to be pulling in the majority of my shit.

Yeah, in sickbeard I think you want to check sick beard index and nzbx. Those are the free ones.

Rambo, does what have pretty much all the tv shows and movies I'd want? I am really on the edge of bailing on usenet. Wondering if I can still leave sickbeard running even though it won't be able to do anything. I really like it as a system of making sure you remember to get all your shows.

Yeah, in sickbeard I think you want to check sick beard index and nzbx. Those are the free ones.

Rambo, does what have pretty much all the tv shows and movies I'd want? I am really on the edge of bailing on usenet. Wondering if I can still leave sickbeard running even though it won't be able to do anything. I really like it as a system of making sure you remember to get all your shows.

I have no problem finding anything. I also figure that if I donate $10-$25 every few months my ratio will never drop below 1:1 regardless of how much I DL, and it will cost the same (if not less) than a monthly Usenet fee.

The best part about Usenet is that it's not hard to "turn back on". I'd go back if it didn't suck as bad as it does right, I just can't justify paying for something I can only get to 'work' once in awhile.

I've got a few what.cd invites i'd be willing to trade for an invite to passthepopcorn.me - send me a pm and ill sort it out!

I don't have a passthepopcorn invite but I do have REAL popcorn AND butter. It'll be tough to let go, but for a what.cd invite I think I could do it.

I have no problem finding anything. I also figure that if I donate $10-$25 every few months my ratio will never drop below 1:1 regardless of how much I DL, and it will cost the same (if not less) than a monthly Usenet fee.

The best part about Usenet is that it's not hard to "turn back on". I'd go back if it didn't suck as bad as it does right, I just can't justify paying for something I can only get to 'work' once in awhile.

Ok. I don't mind paying $10 one time to join a private torrent site (I already pay $10 a month for usenet) but if I'm going back to torrents I want something I can just pay once for and be done with it.

anyone know of any sites like it-leaked with a bigger variety of music (radio friendly albums) where you can just get zip links?

the days of being able to just type album name and www.mediafire.com after it in a google search seem to be over.

newalbumreleases.net has most of each week's new releases with multiple links.

Ok. I don't mind paying $10 one time to join a private torrent site (I already pay $10 a month for usenet) but if I'm going back to torrents I want something I can just pay once for and be done with it.

As long as you can keep your ratio at least 1:1 you won't have to donate. They aren't super strict about going under either.