PO: Cartel- Chroma via ETR ON SALE TODAY at 4:24pm Est

What a shitshow.  I was never a fan of Cartel, but they certainly seem like a bunch of douches for pulling this.  I've backed ETR from the beginning and will continue to do so.  Ross is a stand up guy.

Reading those posts on AP.net made my brain hurt.  Jason Tate LOVES THE DRAMA and it's so fucking obvious.  It took him no time at all to get a statement from Will and that rubbed me the wrong way.  His stance on pulling the release is stupid, too.  Dude is definitely out of touch.  I could see that when I was 14 posting on that site and I can see it today.

I don't know you or Ross personally or know anything about your relationship, but in reading The Ransom thread and this thread it seems like every post you've made has taken a shot at him in some way. Don't know if that is your intent or not, but that's how it's come off to me. Just an observation.

Just be glad you can finally own and enjoy this.

I'm not a big fan of ETR and their business practices. 

That said - I was giving him the benefit of the doubt on this. And then this happened.

And I really hate the supposed innocence he tries to pull off.

I don't think this being a 'secret release' had to do with the store being overloaded. He knew the band was not behind this and wanted to put it up in a manner guaranteed to sell copies as quick as possible before the band had a chance to respond.

It's just the same shit over and over. His records are overpriced because people pay it. His shipping is overpriced because people pay it. He doesn't care (to an extent) if bands give their approval if he's already put the time and money into a release. 

I feel:

dead-horse.gif

I know it's a 'don't like - don't buy situation.' Which is fine. 

Just be glad you can finally own and enjoy this.

I happen to think this is an awful way to look at things. I don't believe in 'whatever it takes as long as I have my vinyl!' attitude. Yes they signed to a major label so it might be their fault - but there are right ways to treat people. Will has said in at least one interview that he cared a lot about this album and wanted to do something special for the vinyl release. He might be an asshole, but being an asshole back so you can 'finally own this' doesn't justify it.

I happen to think this is an awful way to look at things. I don't believe in 'whatever it takes as long as I have my vinyl!' attitude. Yes they signed to a major label so it might be their fault - but there are right ways to treat people. Will has said in at least one interview that he cared a lot about this album and wanted to do something special for the vinyl release. He might be an asshole, but being an asshole back so you can 'finally own this' doesn't justify it.

Fair enough, after reading this post everything else makes more sense now haha I could definitely sense some animosity there. And I can see both sides of the 'as long as I have it' argument, but I'm definitely excited to finally own this. I'm not sure if it came off this way or not but I'm not hating on you at all, was just commenting on what I was seeing haha

Fair enough, after reading this post everything else makes more sense now haha I could definitely sense some animosity there. And I can see both sides of the 'as long as I have it' argument, but I'm definitely excited to finally own this. I'm not sure if it came off this way or not but I'm not hating on you at all, was just commenting on what I was seeing haha

see-this-hug-its-for-u-animated-elephant

I wouldn't even call it animosity. People love him for putting out nostalgia. And he's in this to make a buck. Cool.

I ain't even mad. I just won't support him. Everyone else can. 

Totally agree. Jason Tate is a complete idiot. I've been a member on AP since 2003 but haven't posted over there since 2007 because I got so sick of his holier than thou attitude. It's like he goes into every news post and starts shit just for the sake of starting drama

Exactly why I stay away from posting on threads he's in. As soon as he's in the thread, I'm done. Guy is a prick.

Why is everyone making a big deal out of this when no one gave a fuck when MOV pressed Devil and God the same way. Same thing with these Mars Volta represses. A pressing is a pressing and if the rights are bought legally, it doesn't matter who's involved. Own your rights if you want to avoid it. It's their own fault.

Why is everyone making a big deal out of this when no one gave a fuck when MOV pressed Devil and God the same way. Same thing with these Mars Volta represses. A pressing is a pressing and if the rights are bought legally, it doesn't matter who's involved. Own your rights if you want to avoid it. It's their own fault.

Does seem kind of odd. If I remember right Brand New wasn't to thrilled about the Devil and God repress either.

This post.

I'm not a big fan of ETR and their business practices. 

That said - I was giving him the benefit of the doubt on this. And then this happened.

And I really hate the supposed innocence he tries to pull off.

I don't think this being a 'secret release' had to do with the store being overloaded. He knew the band was not behind this and wanted to put it up in a manner guaranteed to sell copies as quick as possible before the band had a chance to respond.

It's just the same shit over and over. His records are overpriced because people pay it. His shipping is overpriced because people pay it. He doesn't care (to an extent) if bands give their approval if he's already put the time and money into a release. 

I feel:

dead-horse.gif

I know it's a 'don't like - don't buy situation.' Which is fine. 

How much money do you really think he is going to make off of this release?  The online product can only gross $12,500 (unlike other LPs he has released have sold out almost instantly - this did not).  Do you have an idea what the manufacturing costs would be for something like this?  Then shipping?  The cost of 500 mailers / tape / etc.

Also I don't think them signing to a major label for their fault, I think them releasing a dog shit second record was.

I don't think you know what your talking about in the slightest. 

How much money do you really think he is going to make off of this release?  The online product can only gross $12,500.  Do you have an idea what the manufacturing costs would be for something like this?  Then shipping?  The cost of 500 mailers / tape / etc.

Also I don't think them signing to a major label for their fault, I think them releasing a dog shit second record was.

Thank you for this...I didnt want to be the one to say it but Gkersey is talking all sorts of shit that he has no idea about. 

How much money do you really think he is going to make off of this release?  The online product can only gross $12,500 (unlike other LPs he has released have sold out almost instantly - this did not).  Do you have an idea what the manufacturing costs would be for something like this?  Then shipping?  The cost of 500 mailers / tape / etc.

I know for a fact that on a previous major label release from ETR he marked up the product OVER 100% in his store. I have no clue what his mark-up is here, but if previous efforts are any indication, he's making a lot.

Which happens all the time & i made a point to reach out to the band (as i always do) which is something that most people in this field never even attempt. I have been a fan of cartel for a decade and wanted their support which is why I offered them the records AT COST with all approval on every aspect. The same thing as if they went and did it themselves besides it being my risk & having to deal with all the major label red tape, wait times, not having any files from the release on hand etc....  Its not that easy to do these quality re-issues when the label has next to nothing to work with. The band is going to likely run unto a rude awakening once they realize that this process is not at all as easy, as it may seem & takes a VERY long time to actually come to fruition. Not to mention that will was sent a FB message about this in before I spoke to their manager , which fb shows it as read in Feb 2013 to which he told me "maybe i saw but I dont recall , facebook is not a viable form of communication in my opinion"   according to Will

Ross is one of the most passionate label owners and fans of music. Real stand up guy. Seems like cartel had plenty of time to respond to an email. I don't know how much more everyone needs. Etr asked if they wanted a variant or what not, if they wanted it to be so special, they could've told Ross that when he first got in touch with them.