Fuck you, Judy

Yeah I'm going to file with the BBB, Ohio attorney general, and the ohio department of taxation for failure to charge sales tax. I'll also be making posts on craigslist advising people to avoid her, and include pictures of how she left my dryer. Hope she loses business.

The complaints probably won't amount to anything, but I think the craigslist posts will hurt her. As stated before, thats where she advertises.

Depending on the price of repair, I'm seriously considering small claims court.

finally made it in here and through this.  damn, sorry about your troubles, guys!

we need lara in here. stat.

Thoughts:

1) Not defamation if it's true/an opinion that isn't completely reckless (slander - spoken; libel - written)

2) BBB and AG are your first best bets.  That usually scares the other party straight

3) You probably have a claim for breach of contract if she doesnt fix your stuff/reimburse you. Check your warranty.  You should have been given a copy.  If not, you need to demand that in some written form (read: letter, email).  In fact, any sort of communication you have with her should be followed up via email or a letter. And dated dated dated.

Courts love it when you give the other party many chances to right their wrong.  And when they don't that and you have proof of that many times over, very hard to dispute.

Go to the mattresses!

I'd say the lesson learned here is that whether you buy used from a dealer or used from an individual, test the unit to make sure it's working. If they won't let you fire it up, look elsewhere.

Can't fault someone for trusting a "legitimate business" though. I probably would have done the same thing.

They turned them on when they delivered them, the dryer just doesn't heat up. Bb said the heating element or something is broken. So we really wouldn't have known that until we tried to dry a load of laundry.

When my dryer wouldn't produce heat it was just the thermostats.  Not saying this is your problem but definitely look into it if you haven't already.  Best part is you can fix it for free super easily!  You can test the thermostats with a multimeter, if one is dead you literally just throw it on the ground and it resets.  Worked for me!

They turned them on when they delivered them, the dryer just doesn't heat up. Bb said the heating element or something is broken. So we really wouldn't have known that until we tried to dry a load of laundry.

I'm not pointing a finger at you guys. Just speaking generally about the sentiment of "don't buy used appliances" echoed above. Appliances do not hold value at all (difficult to move house to house, sometimes you move from a house with electric to one with gas, etc) so they are one of the best things to buy used when you are just starting out.

Maybe the lesson is just to wait for the dryer to heat up, the fridge to feel cold, the washer to go through a cycle, etc. When I bought a fridge off craigslist, I told the lady to leave it plugged in until I got there so that I could verify it still worked. No problem for 2 years so far. $2k retail fridge for $400.

My recommendation to anyone buying a house soon would be to buy used but think defensively. You can't completely mitigate the risk but you can significantly limit exposure and the savings are huge.

Why wouldn't he pay for it with cash? I pay for lots of bigger ticket items with cash because I don't want people tracking my purchases. I would never even consider buying a gun with anything but cash, and those are pretty darn expensive if you want a decent one.

Are you trying to kill someone?