Custom Record Sleeves by Andrew Lucas

Is it still a Disney licensed image if it's by a different artist? And he can't be turning much of a profit when you factor in the cost of ink and paper. That'd be so shitty.

Of course the characters are still owned by Disney. You can say the work is original but it still has unlicensed use of the property. Making a profit isn't really a factor when it comes to actively policing the brand, but I guess that's technically to protect trademark like what happened with the Black Flag logo kind of recently. I'm not an expert, but I know the general ideas as they relate to illustration. The topic just really interests me, plus Andrew and I can't be the first people to see a demand for custom record jackets. It leaves me wondering why it hasn't been taken on much before.

Technically if you count the purchase of the $5000 printer I won't see a profit probably ever. Glad my friend paid. Haha. And I'm not really selling them. I'm just making them for VC friends for fun but making everyone buy the supplies.

We'll see. Haha.

I do have illustrator but I haven't really used it since high school. I'm even still re-learning photoshop. I'll see what I can do.

The pencil tool is a great thing in illustrator. It takes a little getting used to, but if you have a tablet it gives complete control for drawing the shapes you need.

coming on 8/26

also andrew, i think the track listing is a lot shorter. looks like only 9 tracks.

Disney02_zps3189029d.jpg

Side A

1. Arabian Nights

2. Legend of the Lamp

3. One Jump Ahead

4. One Jump Ahead (Reprise)

5. Friend Like Me

Side B

1. Prince Ali

2. A Whole New World

3. Prince Ali (Reprise)

4. A Whole New World (Aladdin's Theme)

For reference...

The Little Mermaid

Side A

1. Fathoms Below

2. Main Title

3. Fanfare

4. Daughters of Triton

5. Part of Your World

6. Under the Sea

7. Part of Your World (Reprise)

8. Poor Unfortunate Souls

9. Les Poissons

10. Kiss the Girl

Side B

1. Fireworks

2. Jig

3. The Storm

4. Destruction of the Grotto

5. Flotsam and Jetsam

6. Tour of the Kingdom

7. Bedtime

8. Wedding Announcement

9. Eric to the Rescue

10. Happy Ending

The Lion King

Side A

1. Circle of Life

2. I Just Can't Wait to Be King

3. Be Prepared

4. Hakuna Matata

5. Can You Feel the Love Tonight

6. This Land

7. ...To Die For

Side B

1. Under the Stars

2. King of Pride Rock

3. Circle of Life

4. I Just Can't Wait to Be King

5. Can You Feel the Love Tonight (End Title)

Beauty and the Beast

Side A

1. Prologue

2. Belle

3. Belle (Reprise)

4. Gaston

5. Gaston (Reprise)

Side B

1. Be Our Guest

2. Something There

3. The Mob Song

4. Beauty and the Beast

5. Beauty and the Beast (Duet)

I know there is already a line, and I'll keep an eye on this thread but I would love one for my Paramore RSD and liars RSD, walking dead picture discs, and black parade. I was sold half of the album without a jacket but I'll wait until you get all the Disney ones done before I bug you. I thought I would just list my wants so if you get anymore like mine, then you can batch us together? Anyways, what you've posted already looks awesome!

I wouldn't care about using Disney characters, but it is a shitty move to bootleg Tom Whalen's artwork like this.

could you explain why? i'll never own the prints--they're all well over $100 now in the secondary market. they're not readily available for sale from the artist. this isn't robbing any profits from anybody. it's really good artwork and fits this well. would it make you feel better if tom whalen or mondo was mailed a check?

you could make the argument that none of the sleeves made here are "original". they're meant to be (awesome) makeshift substitutes for a shitty original product, or instances where a paper sleeve wasn't included and is needed. the fee isn't really for the artwork, it's for andrew's time, supplies, and printing equipment. maybe it boils down to views on piracy, but i'm sorry i don't feel bad about having a copied image on a record sleeve that'll sit in my shelf. and since i don't have the time, supplies, or printing equipment to make something like this myself, i have no problem paying someone else to do it.

There is a big difference between using a giant corporation's characters and ripping off a small artist's original work.

I urge you to contact Tom Whalen and ask him how he feels about some random dude taking an image of his artwork that was found on the internet, screening it onto LP jackets and selling it to hot topic picture disc collectors.