Custom Record Sleeves by Andrew Lucas

If you don't make a profit and it's only to people you know on the Internet, you can do anything you want with someone's artwork. You don't even have to tell them (it's better not to tell them because, even though it's ok, it's better if they don't know).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

does it apply though?

That Aladdin art looks like it would fit really nicely on the lp! I was second guessing myself on whether of not I was gonna get these disney picture discs but I think this custom jacket idea has me just about sold. I kinda wanted the original white artwork from the Sleeping with Sirens - With Ears to see and Eyes to Hear album also but I'll pm you about that at a later date

You guys really think at $15 a pop, plus shipping this dude is not making any profit?

$3.19 for each sheet of bristol board before tax. One sheet can make one record sleeve, two sheets makes one gatefold. Each cartridge of ink for the printer costs $40 and the printer requires 7 cartridges. Two black, two white, one red, one yellow, and one blue. Thats $280 just in ink. The sound of animals fighting record sleeves I made used a whole cartridge of blue, red, and black. I bought a paper cutter so I wouldnt have to cut 60 sheets of paper with a razor one at a time. That cost me $140 since its considered industrial size. It takes me about one hour to put together a gatefold. Half hour for single sleeve. So, since I made 30 record sleeves for that project I spent around $450 in supplies. I made a profit of $150 in exchange for my 20+ hours of folding and gluing. Thats not even including the $40 i spent in supplies at first when I was sampling different types of paper. Basically I made a profit of $110 which at minimum of 20 hours gives me $5 an hour. Since I had to split profits with my friend for letting me use his printer that puts me at $2.50 an hour for a total profit of $55! Yay! And if youd like to include the printer cost shared between me and my friend then were in the hole by about $4800.

Oh, and I charged $4 for shipping. Shipping cost was $3.27, record mailers cost $1.20. I lost $.47 every order I shipped.

Here's an interesting article about selling fan art, and fair use, etc.

http://kirawra.deviantart.com/art/The-Truth-About-Selling-Fanart-212570726

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_works

So, basically for it to be legal there would have to be something noticeably different from the original. I did take out the Disney presents text, and the small text under the title. I also added a spine to the image. The back is just free type with a small portion of the original art.

$3.19 for each sheet of bristol board before tax. One sheet can make one record sleeve, two sheets makes one gatefold. Each cartridge of ink for the printer costs $40 and the printer requires 7 cartridges. Two black, two white, one red, one yellow, and one blue. Thats $280 just in ink. The sound of animals fighting record sleeves I made used a whole cartridge of blue, red, and black. I bought a paper cutter so I wouldnt have to cut 60 sheets of paper with a razor one at a time. That cost me $140 since its considered industrial size. It takes me about one hour to put together a gatefold. Half hour for single sleeve. So, since I made 30 record sleeves for that project I spent around $450 in supplies. I made a profit of $150 in exchange for my 20+ hours of folding and gluing. Thats not even including the $40 i spent in supplies at first when I was sampling different types of paper. Basically I made a profit of $110 which at minimum of 20 hours gives me $5 an hour. Since I had to split profits with my friend for letting me use his printer that puts me at $2.50 an hour for a total profit of $55! Yay! And if youd like to include the printer cost shared between me and my friend then were in the hole by about $4800.

Oh, and I charged $4 for shipping. Shipping cost was $3.27, record mailers cost $1.20. I lost $.47 every order I shipped.

Thank you for politely putting the negative nancy in his place.

Andrew, do you have dimensions/templates you prefer? I have a couple one offs I would love to get done, and could do all the design work here.

Single Sleeve:

Front - w12.5"xh12.5" put the spine text on the left. The spine is 1/8" wide.

Back - w12.375xh12.5

Drop the resolution down to 500 once it's done and save it as a .png with no compression.

Anyone want a 7" done right now? I have the supplies on hand. Just need the art.

I have a touche amore live 7 that's currently being houses in one of those terrible plastic things.

PM me with details and price and stuff and since there is really no art maybe we could work on that too.

Lemme know if that's interesting, if not just wanna say this is really cool idea and you're doing a great job.

Go on etsy and type in Disney, or anything else that's copyrighted. I seriously doubt they got direct consent to use other peoples imagery. The difference here is that I don't have a store set up. I'm making these for people who are part of my vinyl collecting community. They are buying the supplies. And if you want to think of it this way, they are tipping me for doing it for them. I'm not a company or a store. Just a guy doing something nice for my VC friends.

Go on etsy and type in Disney, or anything else that's copyrighted. I seriously doubt they got direct consent to use other peoples imagery. The difference here is that I don't have a store set up. I'm making these for people who are part of my vinyl collecting community. They are buying the supplies. And if you want to think of it this way, they are tipping me for doing it for them. I'm not a company or a store. Just a guy doing something nice for my VC friends.

"Just because everybody else is doing it" is terrible justification. Stealing somebody's art is a serious dick move. The fact that you're making money off it is even worse.