Custom Record Sleeves by Andrew Lucas

Andrew, you've done a good job of explaining why you don't see a problem with it and you are right that you can easily find examples of people who print and sell other people's art, often at a profit that eclipses what you are making here.  You have also probably noticed that the method in which some posters have brought this up can be described as very aggressive and antagonistic.

Still, I would encourage you to think about the pre-existing codes and ethics associated with using art that others have made.  If that feels weirdly or unnecessarily extreme for such a small operation as yours, just think about it on a human level and consider the training, experience, and human hours that go into making a piece of art and ask yourself if that artist deserves at least a heads up that their art is going to be Photoshopped, printed, sold, etc etc.  

I don't think you're a "dick" but I think you can adjust your practices to still make cool, homemade LP jackets (a really cool idea) and also either use original art or get permission from the band/artist whose artwork you are using.  Or you can disagree completely and maybe at least move this discussion to PMs or a more private space so that folks who have no objection to remixing someone else's art for money can do their transaction and people who do object to it don't have to see it happening so blatantly on a forum that leans toward being artist friendly.

Edit: Good call on sending the email to the artist. :)

Just had someone steal a friend's Hannibal illustration for iphone covers today. It is definitely a bummer when artists aren't involved in the use of their work. Of course that's been taken down now. She can't monetize it herself, but did it for love of the show and the exposure NBC was giving artists for a bit. Definitely a complicated issue, that's why it's worth discussing and asking permission. You have to look from the artist perspective when doing things like this, I feel.

If Whalen isn't okay with the use of his image, you can pm me Andrew. I could do a simple illustration similar to what someone suggested (alla lamp for Aladin, Rose for Beaut & Beast). I'd be willing to do it for the community, but would otherwise want to be uncredited. Could be fun, and gets the job done without stepping on any feet, I feel.

Andrew, you've done a good job of explaining why you don't see a problem with it and you are right that you can easily find examples of people who print and sell other people's art, often at a profit that eclipses what you are making here. You have also probably noticed that the method in which some posters have brought this up can be described as very aggressive and antagonistic.

Still, I would encourage you to think about the pre-existing codes and ethics associated with using art that others have made. If that feels weirdly or unnecessarily extreme for such a small operation as yours, just think about it on a human level and consider the training, experience, and human hours that go into making a piece of art and ask yourself if that artist deserves at least a heads up that their art is going to be Photoshopped, printed, sold, etc etc.

I don't think you're a "dick" but I think you can adjust your practices to still make cool, homemade LP jackets (a really cool idea) and also either use original art or get permission from the band/artist whose artwork you are using. Or you can disagree completely and maybe at least move this discussion to PMs or a more private space so that folks who have no objection to remixing someone else's art for money can do their transaction and people who do object to it don't have to see it happening so blatantly on a forum that leans toward being artist friendly.

Edit: Good call on sending the email to the artist. :)

The last thing I want to do is piss people off. It is a small operation. There are ways around the copyright and profit rule but you're right. I respect and appreciate Whalen. So it's the right thing to at least ask him. It will suck if he says no, but it's not the end of the world.

Just had someone steal a friend's Hannibal illustration for iphone covers today. It is definitely a bummer when artists aren't involved in the use of their work. Of course that's been taken down now. She can't monetize it herself, but did it for love of the show and the exposure NBC was giving artists for a bit. Definitely a complicated issue, that's why it's worth discussing and asking permission. You have to look from the artist perspective when doing things like this, I feel.

If Whalen isn't okay with the use of his image, you can pm me Andrew. I could do a simple illustration similar to what someone suggested (alla lamp for Aladin, Rose for Beaut & Beast). I'd be willing to do it for the community, but would otherwise want to be uncredited. Could be fun, and gets the job done without stepping on any feet, I feel.

Thank you for the offer. It's definitely a possibility. Might be the best way to go to avoid any issues.

I can design the artwork for the ones I want if that makes things easier? I will gladly wait my turn, but I can work on the artwork for mine in the meantime? I really like what you're doing and I don't want you to get frustrated and not want to do it anymore so I will help out as much as possible so mine aren't a hassle for you with copyright and whatnot ?

As for the debate, using Disney characters is fine to me but I don't see how you guys don't see the problem with bootlegging an artists interpretation of the characters. It's easy enough to find Disney images to use, as cool as Whalens cover would be I don't think he'll be ok with it. You never know though, good luck getting permission :)

I highly doubt the artist of the Aladdin image is going to be okay with any of this.  I work as a fulltime freelance graphic designer, and I pull from a ton of public domain crap - old woodcuts, antique engravings, stock photos, anything that is absolutely up for grabs, I'll use night and day.  Stepping on the toes of illustrated works of artists by artists and projects that are very current should be a no brainer.  You just don't want to venture down those paths.

I like the idea someone said of having solitary images like the lamp and the rose and what not.  Super minimal and super sharp looking.  Something of that nature would be incredible.

As for the debate, using Disney characters is fine to me but I don't see how you guys don't see the problem with bootlegging an artists interpretation of the characters.

They don't see the problem with it because they've never had someone else profit off of their own hard work and artistic endeavors, and because it's a major priority to buy a jacket for their Disney hot topic picture discs to go inside of.

Jesus, you guys need to get off the dude's dick. This is insanity. He's not making jack shit and is spending a pretty crazy amount of his own free time just to do something cool for VC users. It's not like the guy opened up a Big Cartel or wtfever.

That being said, to please the pussies, I can certainly contact Fear Before and give them a heads up to make sure it's cool for the 'Art Damage' sleeve. I'm be surprised if they had a problem with it. Will report back with a response.

If the original jackets weren't made in such a shit manner then this would not be necessary. Quit being titty babies.

Jesus, you guys need to get off the dude's dick. This is insanity. He's not making jack shit and is spending a pretty crazy amount of his own free time just to do something cool for VC users. It's not like the guy opened up a Big Cartel or wtfever.

That being said, to please the pussies, I can certainly contact Fear Before and give them a heads up to make sure it's cool for the 'Art Damage' sleeve. I'm be surprised if they had a problem with it. Will report back with a response.

If the original jackets weren't made in such a shit manner then this would not be necessary. Quit being titty babies.

Forgetting your insults, it could actually be beneficial to contact the musical artists. With the O' Brother - Garden Window jacket the band actually wanted jackets for their own copies of the record. I think part of the discussion is keeping in care for Andrew's well-being as well. I'd hate to see him get in trouble with a large entity with money to fight him with.

I'm confused.  I totally get the copyright infringement thing, but how come nobody said anything to Patrick or the dude who does the laser/cut out sleeves for Enjoy The Ride?  They do essentially the same thing and I believe they made a profit from the sleeves they've made.  I had a sleeve made by Patrick that was a fold over and it was more than what Andrew is asking for.