Custom Record Sleeves by Andrew Lucas

I'm confused.  I totally get the copyright infringement thing, but how come nobody said anything to Patrick or the dude who does the laser/cut out sleeves for Enjoy The Ride?  They do essentially the same thing and I believe they made a profit from the sleeves they've made.  I had a sleeve made by Patrick that was a fold over and it was more than what Andrew is asking for.

In theory ETR would have licensed right to the art, so making special covers may be accounted for. Also Patrick does actual screen printing which is labor intensive and involves a more involved process, thus more expensive, in theory. Otherwise I've missed the unlicensed/consented stuff. I brought it up here because I was afraid of how tight Disney's grip would be on their ip, also I'm beginning to work with musicians to make art for releases so I'm reevaluating the apathy I've paid any previous things like this. If you look elsewhere, I've tried to bring up this conversation elsewhere in regards to ethics, but it tends not to go anywhere.

Forgetting your insults, it could actually be beneficial to contact the musical artists. With the O' Brother - Garden Window jacket the band actually wanted jackets for their own copies of the record. I think part of the discussion is keeping in care for Andrew's well-being as well. I'd hate to see him get in trouble with a large entity with money to fight him with.

Speaking of Garden Window, I would love to get a sleeve for this release and missed out on the sleeves they custom made the first time around. Would anyone else be interested in getting more of these made up? I'm sure we can talk to whoever did them the first time around to get the artwork.

In theory ETR would have licensed right to the art, so making special covers may be accounted for. Also Patrick does actual screen printing which is labor intensive and involves a more involved process, thus more expensive, in theory. Otherwise I've missed the unlicensed/consented stuff. I brought it up here because I was afraid of how tight Disney's grip would be on their ip, also I'm beginning to work with musicians to make art for releases so I'm reevaluating the apathy I've paid any previous things like this. If you look elsewhere, I've tried to bring up this conversation elsewhere in regards to ethics, but it tends not to go anywhere.

The dude who did work for ETR (is it gkersey?) has also done work for people here on the forum, as has Patrick.  Whether it's labor intensive or not, (Andrew seems to spend a lot of time on these as well), it's still taking someone's design without consent, so I'm still not understanding why Andrew is getting shit while the other two were praised over and over for their work.

I'm gonna have to put a hold on taking any more requests for one offs. I got pretty flooded with messages over the weekend and I woke up to 7 new requests. I cant keep track of that many projects at once. I'm gonna go back through my messages and try to work on them one by one. I also want to put the Disney thing on hold since it started so much drama. For everyone who messaged me, I will try my best to get your request fulfilled but I might not respond to your message right away. I'll work on them in the order I received requests. Just dont send me anymore for now. Haha.

Re: Thread Drama...  as someone else kinda pointed out... if we're debating usage rights of someone's art, what's the difference between copying/altering cover art from an album and copying/altering character art?

Both items are copy written (though admittedly in different ways).

However, there have been numerous sleeves made from altered cover art for test presses/picture discs/box sets/etc here and no one raised a fuss.  Now Disney is involved and everyone is up in arms?  WTF?

The reality of it is that neither is "legal", however there are areas of law that are complaint driven, and this is definitely one of them.  So... unless someone get's s cease and desist, it's all good.  And as per Andrew Lucas' point, given the playing field out there, it's very unlikely that he'd generate enough attention to receive such action.

Until you guys forced him to get permission from the artist!  Which you realize isn't even enough, right?  Even if he says yes, you realize he had permission from Disney, right?  So... you'd also have to get permission from Disney...

Re: Thread Drama... as someone else kinda pointed out... if we're debating usage rights of someone's art, what's the difference between copying/altering cover art from an album and copying/altering character art?

Both items are copy written (though admittedly in different ways).

However, there have been numerous sleeves made from altered cover art for test presses/picture discs/box sets/etc here and no one raised a fuss. Now Disney is involved and everyone is up in arms? WTF?

The reality of it is that neither is "legal", however there are areas of law that are complaint driven, and this is definitely one of them. So... unless someone get's s cease and desist, it's all good. And as per Andrew Lucas' point, given the playing field out there, it's very unlikely that he'd generate enough attention to receive such action.

Until you guys forced him to get permission from the artist! Which you realize isn't even enough, right? Even if he says yes, you realize he had permission from Disney, right? So... you'd also have to get permission from Disney...

I'd love to see all these numerous examples of selling other peoples art for money.

Nobody is arguing legality they're arguing morality. Stealing from Walmart vs stealing from a mom + pop store.

I'd love to see all these numerous examples of selling other peoples art for money.

Nobody is arguing legality they're arguing morality. Stealing from Walmart vs stealing from a mom + pop store.

For examples see any of the other custom sleeve threads.  9 times out of 10 that album cover that is being reproduced/altered was originally by some small time artist/photographer.

For examples see any of the other custom sleeve threads.  9 times out of 10 that album cover that is being reproduced/altered was originally by some small time artist/photographer.

Show me. If the small time artist/photographer made it for an album cover and that cover is just being made for a version of the record that didn't come with one I see no problem. I'm pretty sure their commission isn't based on album sales.

I don't buy picture discs or test presses so I don't know that this happens all the time, sorry for being ignorant.

Show me. If the small time artist/photographer made it for an album cover and that cover is just being made for a version of the record that didn't come with one I see no problem. I'm pretty sure their commission isn't based on album sales.

I don't buy picture discs or test presses so I don't know that this happens all the time, sorry for being ignorant.

(I don't see anything wrong with this, but daegor has a good point. for the record (pun intended), these were screenprinted and $25 shipped)

VAuZeWS.jpg

Guest deleted

Damn, I was just trying to find someone to do this a couple weeks ago for my copy of Happy Body Slow Brain. Hate having it in that water-filled sleeve. Will have to keep an eye out and try to be in the next round of requests. Awesome work you're doing here! :)

I'm not sure you should be saying "Awesome work" when he's essentially stealing someone else's art and doing some formatting on a computer.

(I don't see anything wrong with this, but daegor has a good point. for the record (pun intended), these were screenprinted and $25 shipped)

VAuZeWS.jpg

All album covers already though. I dunno man, I think there's a big difference between that and just copying art from other places and printing it out.

Guest deleted

Guys I fixed it. Andrew, you can use my own artwork for your covers - royalty free.

N96Sh0Ml.jpg

Currently taking other requests... Aladin? The Little Nemo?

This right here is why people want to steal other people's art.  

This is a joke, but it can be done DIY in a number of ways, quite easily, cheaply, and professionally.

I'm not sure you should be saying "Awesome work" when he's essentially stealing someone else's art and doing some formatting on a computer.

Perhaps he means awesome work cutting and folding and gluing. If you saw the gatefolds I made in person you would see the hard work that went into them.

Guest deleted

Perhaps he means awesome work cutting and folding and gluing. If you saw the gatefolds I made in person you would see the hard work that went into them.

Awesome work cutting, folding and gluing!!!

HAHA!!!

That's like some grade 2 positivity!  ;)

(I don't see anything wrong with this, but daegor has a good point. for the record (pun intended), these were screenprinted and $25 shipped)

VAuZeWS.jpg

If these were $25 shipped then mine should be $35 shipped. If I'm not mistaken these were simply 12x16" printed on one side and 4" folded onto the back side for the track listing. Not an actual record jacket. I win.

Guest deleted

If these were $25 shipped then mine should be $35 shipped. If I'm not mistaken these were simply 12x16" printed on one side and 4" folded onto the back side for the track listing. Not an actual record jacket. I win.

You both win!  (for stealing art!)

nice gluing though!  i especially like the gluing!!!