Huge collection of rare vinyl from the 60's and 70's

Iv'e finally gotten around to sorting through my late fathers collection and had no idea how valuable these lp's actually are. After spending 2 days researching just a fraction of these it seems like he collected very rare and extremely expensive ones. BPRS 7038, S BPG 63252, STL.5491 along with Pink Floyd live in hamburg (I cannot find the same sleive that this one has) are just the tip of the iceburg, who knows what else is lurking. I am looking to find the best way to sell all the Lp's, there must be at least 1000. He also collected programmes etc, more than I can count. Does anyone have any advise as to where to start? I am swamped to be honest.

Local shop is unlikely to do appraisals unless you also intend to sell them to the shop, which is probably your best bet unless you want to spend a lot of time researching value and selling LPs individually online. And it's always nice to support a local business! Plus it will give local shoppers an opportunity to snag some cool LPs.

Sell them here, discogs or ebay if you want to get the most for them, but will take alot longer. If your city has record fests or something like that become a vendor and sell at that as well. Your local shop would probably take them but will get less.

When i sold my parents collection for them i decided what a hard line figure would be to me to decide if i would take it local or take the time to sell online. It wasnt worth all the trouble to make 5 bucks on a more common record to jump through the ebay hoops and would rather just take a buck or two and pass along the "fortunes" to them.

Cheers for the advice. I think what I will do is list each one on here to start with, see what happens. I'll get around to writing the numbers down tomorrow. Should I list them on this topic?

There is a trade/sell board that you should list them on if you choose to list them on here.

link: http://boards.vinylcollective.com/forum/5-saletradewants/

Local shop will give you up to 50% of the item's worth.

eBay + paypal will suck out 18~20% of the final value in fees.

Discogs will snatch 8%, but you still have paypal fees. Discogs traffic is very slow and prices are very competitive. 

As mentioned above, the best way to maximize your return is  to write a list of everything and look up their values. Popsike.com will tell you how much a record has sold on eBay in the past if it sold for over $20. 

1st, place the list here for prices that are fair.

2nd, put the most valuable stuff on eBay for Buy It Now prices at 20$ higher than you list here and at Discogs for 10% higher.

You'll need packaging material, which can be ordered at http://www.4bubble.com/ for the lowest prices I know of.

Be sure to read this thread to learn how to ship a record:

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/56823-how-to-pack-a-record/

If you just want to get rid of everything at once, you can list them on eBay for lots in an auction. The market will determine the value. Be sure to check the grading with Goldmine standards:

http://www.goldminemag.com/collector-resources/record-grading-101

Records should be shipped outside their jackets to avoid splitting the jacket's seam. 

To be fair, he did say up to 50%.

A record store wants to pay a 1/4 or maybe at the most 1/3 of "value" or what they can get for it.

Post the stuff here. Most people who've been into records for more than a year or two can tell you what you should sell or would be worth it.
You could just sell by artist in lots and make it go by faster. You won't get as much money as you would selling piece by piece, but it'll be easier.

Also, I need Thirteen Floor Elevators, Bubble Puppy, and some other psych records.

Sounds like your dad had a cool hobby he really enjoyed and you seem like a good son/daughter for wanting to cash in on that as quickly as you can. Way to honor your dad's legacy. Get rid of that shit while you still remember you even had a father.

FDE52F2C-BFE9-4F93-BD6A-E1091D64DD61_zps