Ferguson, and other issues

Would be interested in knowing the breakdown of racists into republican and democrat, if such a statistic existed.

My gut feeling (which I cannot backup with fact), is that racist republicans outnumber racist democrats at least 5 to 1, and that is why I think they are strongly related. Yeah, It would be great if all republicans thought like Will Macavoy. They don't.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why the police and the general public are hating on Mayor DeBlasio in NYC? I've tried searching for the source myself, but I'm only seeing articles about the police boo-ing him and turning their backs to him while he speaks and people calling him an idiot. Nothing concrete is showing up as to why they are reacting this way towards him.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why the police and the general public are hating on Mayor DeBlasio in NYC? I've tried searching for the source myself, but I'm only seeing articles about the police boo-ing him and turning their backs to him while he speaks and people calling him an idiot. Nothing concrete is showing up as to why they are reacting this way towards him.

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/real-reason-so-many-cops-hate-bill-de-blasio

I did hear about "the talk" he gave his son, but it still seems like that's the only reason? It doesn't make much sense to me because fathers of colored children all across this country are giving the same talk to their sons and daughters. If he told his daughter, just like I was told, to be careful walking alone because some men are out there to harm her, would all the men in NYC start boo-ing him at public functions?

It's real life and its unfortunate. Children are kidnapped, women are sexually harassed, people are jumped in alleyways, colored people are harmed and sometimes killed by police. The guy wants his family safe and he will do what he sees fit to ensure their safety. Instead of turning their backs on him when he's giving a speech, why not join forces and work from within the department to try to stop all of these things from happening? It blows my mind how this continues to be such a difficult concept.

Allison hit on all the points and especially with the New York Times piece. De Blasio was under attack from certain sections of the city even while he was running for Mayor, especially in the more conservative parts of the city. People would say "I know someone who's worked with/near him. He's a nut job. He says crazy stuff etc." These were from teachers and other South Brooklyn/Staten Island people I know. So yeah, mayors in the past have had problems with the NYPD, but there has been a certain level of smearing going on from day 1. I don't get it, but at the same time I do. That's a different story...

I did hear about "the talk" he gave his son, but it still seems like that's the only reason? It doesn't make much sense to me because fathers of colored children all across this country are giving the same talk to their sons and daughters. If he told his daughter, just like I was told, to be careful walking alone because some men are out there to harm her, would all the men in NYC start boo-ing him at public functions?

It's real life and its unfortunate. Children are kidnapped, women are sexually harassed, people are jumped in alleyways, colored people are harmed and sometimes killed by police. The guy wants his family safe and he will do what he sees fit to ensure their safety. Instead of turning their backs on him when he's giving a speech, why not join forces and work from within the department to try to stop all of these things from happening? It blows my mind how this continues to be such a difficult concept.

as far as I'm concerned, his mistake regarding "the talk" was mentioning it in a public forum.  I mean, it's kind of insulting for the mayor to paint a whole group of people as racist during a press conference, just like how it would be insulting to the black community if the mayor said "I tell my kids to be extra careful when walking in black neighborhoods".  (flawed) statistics may back up both of those statements, but that doesn't mean the mayor should be saying them publicly.

that said, I feel like both sides are making mistakes here.  the mayor shouldn't have mentioned "the talk"; instead, he probably should have said ~"I have taught my children to respect and obey police officers, as every parent should" while not condoning the eric garner situation.  similarly, the police officers and police union should show more public respect for their mayor, and they should be more respectful to their fallen brothers by not turning their deaths into a political opportunity.

and I agree that both sides need to work together, just like I think the police departments and the black communities need to work together.  unfortunately, nobody likes to take responsibility for anything, so that  probably won't happen for a long time...

Sick of all this flame baiting with the Drexel Hill shooting. Many people claiming, "oh he's white, so the media won't hype this story." and things of the like. Wtf is happening to humanity when they can't see cops are on a huge power trip

Well, it's not really sensational when a white person is killed by police so the chances are that it won't be a big news story. White people are killed by cops all the time (some statistics even suggest more often than black people, but I don't know if I believe that), but a lack of media coverage is the reason why people think that police brutality only affects black people. So, they're right to say that it won't be on the news. However...

I've said this already in this thread, but I think some folks hit me with downvotes because they just don't know how the world works. Even though police brutality is a race issue (because statistics suggest that more unprovoked attacks happen to minorities, etc.), turning it into a race issue pubicly does not help solve the problem. In fact, it's probably pretty obstructive. Police brutality only goes away if everybody works together, and even then it still won't go away until cops are being wanton murdered like civilians are (not condoning, just saying how it is). So when #BlackLivesMatter, even though that's a perfectly valid cause, begins to overshadow #CopsArePowerHungryPigsWhoKillForSport, then the attention is driven away from police brutality and the state wins again.

That Vice article about the two (white, mind you) guys who were beaten to a pulp by plainclothes pigs really fuckin incensed me. Not because it's something so bizarre that it scared me to consider, but because it was a gross display of the power of the state when it comes to these things. That article read like a horror story, like a Matrix where Agent Smith is the perpetual bureaucratic face of the state. It made my stomach turn like some Orwellian dystopia should, but the worst part is that it wasn't fiction.

It's scary to think that you could get your shit kicked in by a public servant at any time, at any place regardless of who you are or what you do. But you know what's scarier? Knowing that they will get away with it every time.

Food for thought.

But they don't always get away with it and most people aren't getting their face kicked in all the time. Probably because a lot of cops are decent people making an honest wage.

You're kind of undermining one of the premises of your own argument. The rhetoric on both sides seems a little over the top right now. The amount of people in here who think some kind of armed revolution is needed is pretty wild man.

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts on this shooting in Montana? (Traffic stop, officer shoots man who "wouldn't put his hands up" was unarmed.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/national-international/288453521.html

First thought: Obey police orders at traffic stops.

Second: Don't be a drug addict.

Third: Guy had enough meth in his system to kill most people, he provably didn't have a long life span left anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tax dollars to feed nazi families

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUV6uaTvoA0#t=16

Cop no. 2 clearly wasn't ready for what cop no. 1 pulled when he decided to slam the Indian man to the ground, even cop no. 2 tried to brace the old mans fall to the ground but it happened so goddamn fast. Fucking power trip nazi police no. 1!

• 1 month later...