Ferguson, and other issues

I'm not the smartest and I don't have all or most of the answers at all, but I feel like a microcosm of internet dialogue went on a few pages back and I'm a little bummed out about it, not that I have any interest in policing or shaming anyone on here. (I seriously like all of you)

I know it's really easy to make fun of Hashtag warriors and SJW and all that stuff because by and large it can tend to be misguided. It's super easy to poke holes in what seems like "Slacktivism". The thing i have difficulty with is just dismissing people like SJW's and Teenage Eric offhand just because they might be misguided, I think there is at the very least a desire for change, I just wish we could all help each other turn that energy into something positive.

I agree that Hashtags aren't going to change the world but the more we engage everyone in dialogue rather than shutting that dialogue down the better? IDK again this is just thoughts I had while catching up on this thread. 

This thread has been really serious with some interesting dialogue going on. I've been reading along but refraining from posting because I don't really know enough about anything to start internet fights over events I don't completely comprehend.

But, seriously, THANK YOU guys for the last ten pages of this thread.  They have been amazing. I hope it took everyone's mind off of the heavy stuff for a few minutes.

This quote... It's just... so good.

"Sometimes the most ridiculous are the ones that have the biggest impact hence the moon landing."

- Steve Jobs - MLK - Woe Division

It comes off like enhanced-buzz-19669-1366427483-1.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/03/nyregion/grand-jury-in-eric-garner-case-could-vote-on-charges-this-week.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

indictment vote coming soon for cop who killed a blackman with a choke hold that is prohibited by the police department.  Police brutality needs to end.

Let's also stop criminal brutality.....

Guy beat to death by teens with hammers here yesterday.....lot less press on that.

Those criminals don't get paid to act like that with our tax money.

That's not what cops get paid for either....

Just because someone does something while they are on the job you can't just link "That's what our money is going to."

If a cop goes on a seminar that is out of town, are we going to complain that he is Getting paid to sleep with our tax money?

No, some people are just assholes and do things they shouldn't.  Some of those assholes wear uniforms....some don't.

The difference between cop brutality and the other brutality cases is that the cops are rarely indicted and get off unscathed, as though they are above the law.

Also there hasn't been a lot ( or any? ) of it in this thread, but reminder to everyone that the "not all cops" argument is bad.  There are good people and there are bad people, but all cops are bad because the system is corrupt.  Until cops are held liable for their actions, like all normal citizens are, ACAB.

I don't know if it was posted here but two days ago wilson quit the police force.  http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/darren-wilson-who-shot-dead-black-ferguson-teenager-michael-brown-quits-police-force-30785968.html

That's not what cops get paid for either....

Just because someone does something while they are on the job you can't just link "That's what our money is going to."

If a cop goes on a seminar that is out of town, are we going to complain that he is Getting paid to sleep with our tax money?

No, some people are just assholes and do things they shouldn't.  Some of those assholes wear uniforms....some don't.

Neither Wilson nor the court did their job though. They both failed at bringing anything nearing justice in this situation. Yes, I am going to scrutinize these people and systems more harshly because they're not just doing it on my dime, they're doing at the stake of our lives.

Saying he didn't do his job....more of an opinion, Unless you were there and know all the details/ know something that we don't.

This is fair. I'll bite and say that, at the very least, he performed very poorly.

Eric Garner. I'm sorry. There is video evidence. 

That was murder.  That video... I'm sorry, man. Fuck you Staten Island Grand Jury. That man did not deserve to die.

That arrest was not done properly.

Regardless of what you think of the Mike Brown incident. This was unquestionably wrongful.

Eric Garner. I'm sorry. There is video evidence.

That was murder. That video... I'm sorry, man. Fuck you Staten Island Grand Jury. That man did not deserve to die.

That arrest was not done properly.

Regardless of what you think of the Mike Brown incident. This was unquestionably wrongful.

How in the FUCK does that officer NOT GET CHARGED???

That was one of the blatantly obvious uses of excessive force on a citizens I have ever seen. I remember that video and I don't know how he could not get in trouble for literally choking the guy to death and somehow he gets away with it... Just fucked up

Don't they have laws against choking people like that? How do you not convict? 

Wow.

They do have laws against it for sure.

Semantics, but in answer to your question, a grand jury can't convict because they can only indict.

In all seriousness though, I don't understand how he wasn't indicted for something.