Most Hard-Working/Anal-Retentive Musicians

Danh

I enjoy listening to music in which the musician(s) has put a lot of dedication, time, and attention into. Which musicians out there can you name? Name a specific album, if you want.

Two that come to mind for me are Billy Corgan of The Smashing Pumpkins and Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine.

About Billiy Corgan working on "Siamese Dream" (from Wikipedia):

"Corgan worked overtime, practically living in the studio for the recording of Siamese Dream—he and Vig would sometimes work on a 45-second section of music for two days, working 16-hour days for weeks at a time to achieve the sound Corgan wanted."

About Kevin Shields on "m b v" (also from Wikipedia):

"In 1999, it was reported that Shields had delivered 60 hours of material to Island Records, and vocalist and guitarist Bilinda Butcher confirmed that there existed "probably enough songs to fill two albums." Shields later admitted that at least one full album of "half-finished" material was abandoned. He said, "[it] just [got] dumped, but it was worth dumping. It was dead. It hadn't got that spirit, that life in it.'"

You'd have to be a little nutty to dedicate that much into an album, but it's something that I really appreciate. Even if that album isn't necessarily good, in my opinion, I still enjoy listening to it, knowing the hard-work that has been put into the music.

Scott Walker. Great information in the documentary 30 Century Man. A long time between albums, and the documentary shows some of the recording techniques in the studio. The new Walker album with Sunn O))) is due in September as well, so will be interested to see how that come out, considering it's only a year or so since Bish Bosch was released.

Steven Wilson (Solo, Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield, I.E.M, Bass Communion) releases a shitload of stuff he's been working on...not only his own stuff but producing stuff like Opeth, etc... and remastering classic albums of King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Rush, etc...

I think he's sitting in his studio 24/7 :D

Robert Pollard is constantly releasing music. 

Yeah, but the amount of attention/time he puts into it doesn't qualify for this thread. That's why his music is so interesting though.

Each and every member of Converge. As mentioned, these guys seem to always be doing something in some capacity as bands, production, art design, you name it.

Trent Reznor. The man is a workaholic. Esp. after he got off the junk. I don't think he knows the word "downtime".

Taylor Swift. Top serious. The chick is also a workaholic. If not writing and recording music, she's doing charity work. Just look up any and all reports of her visits to children's hospitals.

Patrick Klindon and SDF. That guy is insanity personified. There's an SDF release at least once a month. And the music is always all over the place which goes to show how much OCD and ADD Klindon must have.

I think Omar Rodriguez Lopez falls in the same realm. Seems like I'm always discovering new stuff from him. I always wonder how much time the guy spends in the studio. Although I suppose if I spent a full time schedule in a studio I'd probably release a lot of stuff too.

Yeah totally, he seems to always have a new project doing something. I was blown away by that Cryptomnesia record a few years ago.