What's your White Whale record?

new found glory - catalyst

White whales that don't exist. Awesome.

I hate this thread and keep coming back. That Jimmy Eat World album is not a white whale. Neither is Hum or Knapsack. Neither is U2. White whale vs. "don't wanna spend the money on it but I can find any day of the week."

Relient k - forget and not slow down, I literally check ebay on the daily for this and would spend pretty much anything

And family force 5 - dance or die, album is pretty bad but it's nostalgic for me, slept on it for a couple years because I figured it would always be around at $20 plus the $8 shipping and as soon as soul glow announced he was leaving the band people bought the rest of them, haven't been able to find it since

I hate when you want a record, but no one's selling it. Not because it's expensive, or because it's rare, just no one sells it. I really want the pink pressing of Turn it Around by Comeback Kid, but I can't find it anywhere. Last time it was sold was on Discogs for $11.

I think I saw one on ebay a few weeks ago.

Sold for around $400....

Maybe someday well get a repress?

Yeah, it pops up every so often and usually sells for around $300-500 almost condition irrelevant. I'm holding out for the closest to mint/unplayed I can find. This has been something I've wanted literally since it was first released so I don't mind continuing to take my time finding the exact copy I want.

Also, based on my experience with the guys in EitS, this will never see a repress beyond the CD that was issued. The band basically considers the album an "embarrassment" and I think it was frustrating enough for them to even consider repressing it on CD back in 2005 (I think?) due to such high demand from fans. I've contacted the band many times wondering if they had a copy of the LP laying around but none of them personally own one. They even went so far as to say something along the lines of, "If we could buy back every copy of this album and burn it, we would"... so I think based on that alone what we have currently available is all that ever will be.

Guest Justin Maheiny

When I was I was in high school I watched Electric Glide In Blue with my dad. There's a rock band in that movie that performs live and kicks serious ass. I found out the band was Madura after watching the credits. I looked for it on eBay and Gemm a lot but I think this was before discogs.com or at least I didn't know about that site at the time.

I looked for it every time I went to a record store and 9-10 years later I found it at Bagatelle's in Long Beach for $8.00. The album sounds nothing like I thought it would and I hate it.

http://youtu.be/kevIEwfJxL4

Yeah, it pops up every so often and usually sells for around $300-500 almost condition irrelevant. I'm holding out for the closest to mint/unplayed I can find. This has been something I've wanted literally since it was first released so I don't mind continuing to take my time finding the exact copy I want.

Also, based on my experience with the guys in EitS, this will never see a repress beyond the CD that was issued. The band basically considers the album an "embarrassment" and I think it was frustrating enough for them to even consider repressing it on CD back in 2005 (I think?) due to such high demand from fans. I've contacted the band many times wondering if they had a copy of the LP laying around but none of them personally own one. They even went so far as to say something along the lines of, "If we could buy back every copy of this album and burn it, we would"... so I think based on that alone what we have currently available is all that ever will be.

Shame. That album is good and I would hardly call it an embarrassment. Better than the past few releases imo.

White whales that don't exist. Awesome.

I hate this thread and keep coming back. That Jimmy Eat World album is not a white whale. Neither is Hum or Knapsack. Neither is U2. White whale vs. "don't wanna spend the money on it but I can find any day of the week."

I agree completely.  For years my white whale was Big Choice by Face to Face.  I don't care how much money you have to spend you will have to wait to buy this record, and they don't pop up very often.

I agree completely.  For years my white whale was Big Choice by Face to Face.  I don't care how much money you have to spend you will have to wait to buy this record, and they don't pop up very often.

Wouldn't this also qualify because they were only promotional copies? I could swear they never really went on sale to the general public. People could correct me if I'm wrong....

Wouldn't this also qualify because they were only promotional copies? I could swear they never really went on sale to the general public. People could correct me if I'm wrong....

Yes you are correct Big Choice and the Over It EP were pressed as promos only by F2F. They are both incredibly rare and expensive when they do pop up.

Currently there's only one:

The Naked and Famous - Kill the Littleblackdots

I've contacted everyone that I've found who owns it, no-one is willing to sell. Discogs say the last one sold over 3 years ago. I found no info on it anywhere else other than two or three webstores that had it up way back when.