Out Now: Pink Floyd - The Endless River (new album)

The sessions were recorded with Wright, during the Division Bell years.  They are hailing this as his swan song. 

Hell yes!

I realize you're being on the nose, but to many of us, that is the departure point. Floyd is my all my time favorite anything. The albums they made post-Waters although technically called Floyd, just didn't hit the mark (IMO). 

There was also a major shift in the bands direction post Syd Barret. Gilmour himself has commented on how different his guitar style is from Syd. Pink Floyd is really diverse in that sense.

I am just stoked we are getting another Pink Floyd album

Just to toss in my two cents...I think the best parts of Floyd are Wright and Gilmour...Waters had some cool concepts lyrically but it was Gilmour and Wright that brought them to life

For instance...imagine shine on you crazy diamond without those four notes on the intro ( you know what I'm talking about)

Imagine The Wall without Comfortably Numb...

Imagine Dark Side Of The Moon without On The Run...or The Great Gig In The Sky...

You guys give Roger Waters waaay too much credit...I mean look at The Final Cut...probably my least favorite of the Floyd albums because it was a Waters vanity project...with the exception of When the Tigers Broke Free...but I count that as being a part of The Wall since it was in the movie...and should have been on the album

I am just stoked we are getting another Pink Floyd album

Just to toss in my two cents...I think the best parts of Floyd are Wright and Gilmour...Waters had some cool concepts lyrically but it was Gilmour and Wright that brought them to life

For instance...imagine shine on you crazy diamond without those four notes on the intro ( you know what I'm talking about)

Imagine The Wall without Comfortably Numb...

Imagine Dark Side Of The Moon without On The Run...or The Great Gig In The Sky...

You guys give Roger Waters waaay too much credit...I mean look at The Final Cut...probably my least favorite of the Floyd albums because it was a Waters vanity project...with the exception of When the Tigers Broke Free...but I count that as being a part of The Wall since it was in the movie...and should have been on the album

Completely agree with this. My favorite albums from them were the division bell and momentary lapse of reason

• 1 month later...

Listened to the cd version yesterday at work.....damn near put me to sleep (not exactly a warehouse jam)....dude I work with is a huge Pink Floyd fan, said he enjoyed it but wasn't thrilled with it. There's a really really awful and cheesy sax part in one song that is absolutely atrocious, having Stephen Hawking in the one track is kind of rad.....having vocals for the last track is easier to digest....but to me it gave the entire album a weird vibe, almost like the entire album was building towards this one track, and I doubt that's what their intention was when they decided to finally use this stuff. I think Pink Floyd fenatics will get plenty out of it, but I'd be shocked if anybody ever called this "essential"

I've heard a rumor that they're planning to do a light blue color vinyl pressing closer to Christmas. Anyone confirm/heard this from distributors?

Also interested. The shops near me keep saying they would get the records in sometime this week, and I called this morning... Yeah, they both got them and sold out of them too. So I may end up holding off if a colored variant is in the works

I'm the biggest Floyd fan I know and personally I cannot stop listening to The Endless River. This to me is an amazing send off to Pink Floyd and especially Rick Wright. The album really to me just kind of wraps up that the band IS and always was Pink Floyd with and without Roger Waters. I don't want to get into a debate because I'm the rare type that also LOVES Roger's solo albums. But I give Dave, Rick and Nick credit for going on and doing their thing making music they love for us to enjoy. Best track I feel so far is "It's What We Do." It has the synth sound from Wright that makes you go whoa am I listening to Wish You Were Here?? Then David's 1994 Division Bell tone comes in...man is it cool. Highly recommend this album to anyone who can just sit back and enjoy it for what it is.

I found it to be quite the snoozefest after several listens.  I do love Pink Floyd.  It felt like every song was building into something, but ultimately went nowhere.  An album full of interludes essentially.  It would have been cool if they expanded on half the ideas and allowed it to be a bit more cohesive.  I'm not going to call it a cash grab because I know they did it for the love of music and to commemorate Wright.  I just wish they had gone out with something stronger instead of music I will most likely hear in a new-age giftshop.  

Also interested. The shops near me keep saying they would get the records in sometime this week, and I called this morning... Yeah, they both got them and sold out of them too. So I may end up holding off if a colored variant is in the works

This is what my local record store owner told me. That's why I was asking if anyone knew a distributor they could verify it with.

I was actually kinda bummed about placing the groupon order, since, well. I really love supporting my local indie whenever I can. And there was something kinda romantic about being able to walk into a store and buy a new Pink Floyd album, something that I've never been able to do in my lifetime.

That groupon doe