iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Discussion

anyone have problems connecting the new phone to a computer to upload photos/ sync? I plug it into my macbook and it charges but when I try and open i photo it never recognizes the device and when i open i tunes it says iphone cannot be synced because it times out.

any suggestions?

strange... is your phone jailbroken?

No. Bought directly from verizon. A buddy got his phone right afterme and hooks it up to his mac with zero problems.

Which Mac are you using? Have you tried other cables or USB ports? You might want to open the Console app and see if there are any errors reported when you first plug the phone in. Otherwise, your best bet may be taking it to an Apple Store and have them look at it, especially if it's still under warranty.

Finally got a 6. I think this may be the first time in a while that I use a case. I just usually hate them.

Me too. I hate cases but after trying and returning like 4 different cases that I hated, I picked up one of the official apple ones and I'm fine with using it. I have the silver phone and the white silicone case fits nicely with it.

Has anyone noticed a large spike in data consumption with their 6/6+? We don't have unlimited data plans in Canada. But when I had my 4s I had a 1gb plan that I never went over because I use wifi at home. When I upgraded I switched to a 3gb plan which I somehow managed to blow through in 2 weeks as well as maxing out my broadband allotment at home this month. I haven't been downloading anything big. Is this phone just a data sucker??

I have to say the signal strength is pretty shit too. When using my cellular network as opposed to wifi, nearly my whole house is a dead spot. I never had this issue with my 4s.

Me too. I hate cases but after trying and returning like 4 different cases that I hated, I picked up one of the official apple ones and I'm fine with using it. I have the silver phone and the white silicone case fits nicely with it.

Has anyone noticed a large spike in data consumption with their 6/6+? We don't have unlimited data plans in Canada. But when I had my 4s I had a 1gb plan that I never went over because I use wifi at home. When I upgraded I switched to a 3gb plan which I somehow managed to blow through in 2 weeks as well as maxing out my broadband allotment at home this month. I haven't been downloading anything big. Is this phone just a data sucker??

I have to say the signal strength is pretty shit too. When using my cellular network as opposed to wifi, nearly my whole house is a dead spot. I never had this issue with my 4s.

under "settings/cellular" there is a list of apps and it shows how much data the apps are consuming. Might give you an idea where all that data is going.

The exact same thing has been happening to me on both fronts.  I don't use my 6 any more than I did my 4 and my data usage is almost double. I also have been lacking service in my house that didn't happen before.  Overall, I like the 6 but its just weird it uses so much more data.  Luckily, Verizon had a promotion going on and I got 2 GB more of data per month for $10 less.   

Which Mac are you using? Have you tried other cables or USB ports? You might want to open the Console app and see if there are any errors reported when you first plug the phone in. Otherwise, your best bet may be taking it to an Apple Store and have them look at it, especially if it's still under warranty.

i have a white mac book. maybe 4ish years old. i am not sure where to find the console app.  i plan on going to an apple store this weekend.  i have plugged the cord into both usb ports and it has the same problem.  though it does hold a charge so it is obviously registering that part and charing my phone... 

The exact same thing has been happening to me on both fronts.  I don't use my 6 any more than I did my 4 and my data usage is almost double. I also have been lacking service in my house that didn't happen before.  Overall, I like the 6 but its just weird it uses so much more data.  Luckily, Verizon had a promotion going on and I got 2 GB more of data per month for $10 less.   

me too. same deal.  2gb more for $10 less.  still went over.

Dropped my 6 in a shallow puddle the other day. It was fine aside from the fact the phone thought the headphones were plugged in when they weren't. Cotton bud in the hole (lololol) and now it's fine. I also spilled vinegar over it yesterday and it didn't affect it at all. I feel like I probably shouldnt be allowed a decent phone.

Dropped my 6 in a shallow puddle the other day. It was fine aside from the fact the phone thought the headphones were plugged in when they weren't. Cotton bud in the hole (lololol) and now it's fine. I also spilled vinegar over it yesterday and it didn't affect it at all. I feel like I probably shouldnt be allowed a decent phone.

They didn't advertise it but the 6 and 6 plus are supposed to be water resistant. I saw a video where they completely submerged the phones in about a half inch of water while playing videos with sound and they weren't phased at all. It's smart that they did this without advertising it because I'm sure a ton of people would be stupid and try to use it as an underwater camera.

• 2 months later...

I managed to crack my screen on my Iphone 6.  I hadn't dropped it (recently) but pulled it out of my pocket one evening and noticed a hairline crack running from just below the upper right corner down to the home button.

I looked around online for what it would cost to repair, and the listed price is $109 for a new screen, which actually seemed pretty reasonable. I made an appointment and took it into the Apple store and they said that a hairline crack like mine is covered under the 1 year manufacturer warranty (purchased in October) and that it would be replaced for free (No AppleCare coverage).

1 hour later I walked out with a brand new screen at zero cost to me.

Just throwing my experience out there in case anybody else has the same issue.  I was originally thinking that I was basically boned and would have to pay $$$ for a new screen or just live with it cracked.

• 1 year later...

Well. My iPhone 5 is about to go brick on me. Not only has the battery expanded so much so that the glass is bulging, now it's slow in response with the home button and a bunch of other stuff.

So I am now in the market to upgrade to a 6s or 6s Plus. Now my question is, to anyone who may know better than me, go to Best Buy (where I've gone in past for all iPhones I've ever had) or an AT&T store? I know things seem to have changed on how you upgrade. It used to be that you plunk down $200 for the phone and re-lock yourself in the contract for two years. Now it's this monthly payment of around $25 but is that charged direct to you or tacked on to the monthly bill?

Well. My iPhone 5 is about to go brick on me. Not only has the battery expanded so much so that the glass is bulging, now it's slow in response with the home button and a bunch of other stuff.

So I am now in the market to upgrade to a 6s or 6s Plus. Now my question is, to anyone who may know better than me, go to Best Buy (where I've gone in past for all iPhones I've ever had) or an AT&T store? I know things seem to have changed on how you upgrade. It used to be that you plunk down $200 for the phone and re-lock yourself in the contract for two years. Now it's this monthly payment of around $25 but is that charged direct to you or tacked on to the monthly bill?

Pretty sure it's put on the monthly bill. I think it's ridiculous. I have a 6 plus and love the bigger screen, just wish I had more than 16gb on it. I've always gone to the AT&T personally but don't know if Best Buy is a better option or not.

EDIT: It IS tacked on to the phone bill

Another interesting way to do it is going through Apple's "upgrade" program. Basically you pay monthly for the phone and after 12 payments you can hand them back the phone and get the new iPhone (which comes out every year), and continue with the payments. If you choose to pay it in full (24 payments) the phone is your's to keep. They do make you purchase Apple Care as part of the deal. I have a 64GB 6s and it is about $36/month for the phone. I use my phone a lot both for wasting my time and for work (and it is a write of me) so I think just over a dollar a day to have a brand new iPhone every year is a pretty decent deal.

My wife has an iPhone 6 that we purchased through AT&T's Next program (before the Apple Upgrade program existed), which is very similar to Apple's program, but the trade in is at 18 months (or payoff and keep it at 24 months).

People still seem upset/confused with the current state of cell service providers and subsidized phones. Basically if you were getting a subsidized phone every 2 years (and you ALWAYS upgrade at 2 years) the old system wasn't necessarily bad for you. It was however awful for the person that wants to hang on to a phone for several years. That person is greatly rewarded with these current plans (because you are no longer paying for the phone subsidy in your plan). You are free to buy any phone you want, any where you want, and keep it for however long you want.

I'm kind of confused by the new ATT program as well...the old system wasn't great...but at least I got a credit for a new phone.  Now it sounds like I'm not getting a credit and I'm sure my bill won't go down.

Locked into ATT due to my grandfathered unlimited data plan.

Don't ever let that go.. my dad cancelled mine because of some shitty advice from an AT&T rep but we were able to get it because we had directv through them.

Locked into ATT due to my grandfathered unlimited data plan.

I'm on that same boat. I am for sure never letting go of that plan. It's pricey every month but with the amount of shit I do on the phone and data usage...nothing else would even come close to that plan. 

I may go to Best Buy tomorrow and explore my options with them. As I said...I just want to upgrade the damn phone. 

I'm on that same boat. I am for sure never letting go of that plan. It's pricey every month but with the amount of shit I do on the phone and data usage...nothing else would even come close to that plan.

I may go to Best Buy tomorrow and explore my options with them. As I said...I just want to upgrade the damn phone.

Post your results please. I also have unlimited data and won't do anything that would force me out of it. Might just buy my next phone straight up.

I'm pretty irresponsible with my data usage. I'm at around 25-30gig every month. I'd get wrecked on any other plan.