Official Newbury Comics Reissue Thread

you think so? long drive and TLCW also werent in print at the time. 

Yeah they were the Newbury versions were announced and available after the initial surge of orders. Probably a month or so but fair point. I think Good News was out of 1000 and it went in less than a week if I remember correctly.

Yeah they were the Newbury versions were announced and available after the initial surge of orders. Probably a month or so but fair point. I think Good News was out of 1000 and it went in less than a week if I remember correctly.

yeah i think youre right. i remember having a day or two to grab good news. i might snag this when they have a promotion, its the only full MM album i dont have.

I didn't really care for this album when it came out, but it really grew on me.  I don't think they'll ever make an album like TIALD or LCW.  They both came out almost 20 years ago.  One is most likely going to make music differently at the age of 20 compared to 40.  "Parting of the Sensory" has become one of my favorite songs of theirs.  It's kind of weird now, but the first sets of lyrics really remind me of Donald Trump :)

ill take strangers over we were dead any day, I'm glad I paid $2 for a used copy of we were dead or it might be the only hole in my album collection

I paid $8 and I'd say the same. It's not terrible, but when I hear it, it just makes me want to go back to LCW and hear what I know they're capable of.

ill take strangers over we were dead any day

Same. I was unimpressed with Good News when it came out, but it had a few good songs. We Were Dead is just cringe-worthy. Strangers is not great but it's not overworked and cringe-worthy. It's in a way back to basics and easier to enjoy. Not back to form, mind you, just more digestible.

Same. I was unimpressed with Good News when it came out, but it had a few good songs. We Were Dead is just cringe-worthy. Strangers is not great but it's not overworked and cringe-worthy. It's in a way back to basics and easier to enjoy. Not back to form, mind you, just more digestible.

I need to revisit Strangers to see how I react to it after time.

Modest Mouse wasn't on my radar until Good News and I was instantly impressed, don't think I went through and fell in love with the back catalog until around 2006 until I met an ex who was obsessive with them. I don't think I've put on we were dead in close to a year, but it's always just felt out of place, I think the production plays a big part in it, cause not all the songs are bad. They just didn't need to make an arena rock album. Strangers is far from perfect, but like you said it isn't cringe worthy. It's actually on my mind when selecting one of their albums to put on

The album has always seemed like Isaac's further clarity has shone through on the album after all the crazy shit he's been through. "We are the people that we wanted to know, we are the places that we wanted to go." Accepting life and realizing that this is it to life. People search and want but everything you desire is in you already. So much emotion on there I love it. And Little Motel gets to me. It's about that one love people hold out for all their life, hoping to get back to that person while they wait for you to get back to them, as they wait in their little motel. IDK I could talk someone's ear off about the album. I love Isaac.

meh. I really don’t understand all the hate for their newer albums.  MM is by far my favourite band.   I got into them after hearing good news, which isn’t my favourite now, but damn, those first four songs get me every time.  I guess their albums are what people say about their children, they love them all (but still have a favourite).  

I especially don’t understand people who hate on Moon & Antartica… yeah there’s some songs that are ok, but there are also some songs that I will blast and play over and over again… talking shit about a pretty sunset, a different city, alone down there, lives, etc.  Their newer stuff is a lot more cleaned up and produced and has a little bit more of a positive vibe, which I kind of refreshing sometimes