[Soon] Mogwai – Central Belters

Mogwai%20-%20Central%20Belters%20art.jpe

Today, we announce the release of Central Belters, a set of career highlights and rarities, available to buy in a limited edition 3xCD or 6xLP box set via Rock Action Records from 9 October. Tracks on the collection span our 20 year career taking in highlights from our debut long-player Mogwai Young Team (1997) all the way through to last year’s Rave Tapes.

Our friend Craig Murray has directed a video for Helicon 1. You can view this over at Noisey here

Today’s announcement comes midway through a run of special live events marking 20 years to the week that the band gathered together in the Glasgow living room of Stuart Braithwaite’s parents to rehearse for the first time. Following two acclaimed sell-out nights at Glasgow Barrowlands last weekend, tonight, we open a season of curated shows at London’s iconic Roundhouse. For this ATP Season at the Roundhouse, we celebrate their 20 year anniversary by playing two sold out shows and hand-picking a line-up of seminal artists that have challenged, intrigued and inspired over the past two decades, including Public Enemy, GZA, Godspeed You! Black Emperor & The Jesus & Mary Chain, the latter performing their seismic debut album Psychocandy in full; see roundhouse.org.uk for tickets.

CD 1
1) Summer
2) Helicon 1
3) CODY
4) Christmas Steps
5) I Know You Are But What Am I?
6) Hunted By A Freak
7) Stanley Kubrick
8) Take Me Somewhere Nice
9) 2 Rights Make 1 Wrong
10) Mogwai Fear Satan

CD 2
1) Auto Rock
2) Travel Is Dangerous
3) Friend Of The Night
4) We're No Here
5) I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead
6) The Sun Smells Too Loud
7) Batcat
8) Mexican Grand Prix
9) Rano Pano
10) How To Be A Werewolf
11) Wizard Motor
12) Remurdered
13) The Lord Is Out Of Control
14) Teenage Exorcists

CD 3
1) Hugh Dallas
2) Half Time
3) Burn Girl Prom Queen
4) Devil Rides
5) Hassenheide
6) Tell Everybody That I Love Them
7) Earth Division
8) Wizard Motor
9) Hungry Face
10) D to E
11) My Father My King

Don't get me wrong.  This seems cool as hell... but from what I can tell, none of this is live, right?  Just pulled off the studio albums?  This is a band with a discography that I celebrate in full, so a "greatest hits" collections isn't something that I'll personally be dropping money on.  But I figured someone may be interested.  I probably would've considered doing so if it were another live compilation (with DVD), since Special Moves really is one of my favorite live DVDs.  But alas.

Just watched the video.  Helicon 1 is one of my favorite Mogwai tracks – that bass line melts me, and hasn't left my head from the first time I heard it.  What a fucking special band.  I think I feel [another] Mogwai kick coming on.

I agree that this will be steep in cost, especially after import fees.  But like most people who even bother checking this thread, I'm willing to bet that we own the vast majority of all of their discography on vinyl, regardless.  I'm not terribly big on compilations as well – there's going to be something very off-putting about hearing CODY without the lazy comfort of Helps Both Ways right on its heels.  I imagine it'll just feel weird, like a mixtape or something.  If they were all live versions or re-recorded in the studio, that could (a la Government Commissions), that'd be one thing... but right now, I'm having a hard time gauging who this set is aimed at.

Just watched the video.  Helicon 1 is one of my favorite Mogwai tracks – that bass line melts me, and hasn't left my head from the first time I heard it.  What a fucking special band.  I think I feel [another] Mogwai kick coming on.

I agree that this will be steep in cost, especially after import fees.  But like most people who even bother checking this thread, I'm willing to bet that we own the vast majority of all of their discography on vinyl, regardless.  I'm not terribly big on compilations as well – there's going to be something very off-putting about hearing CODY without the lazy comfort of Helps Both Ways right on its heels.  I imagine it'll just feel weird, like a mixtape or something.  If they were all live versions or re-recorded in the studio, that could (a la Government Commissions), that'd be one thing... but right now, I'm having a hard time gauging who this set is aimed at.

It's probably for Die Hard Mogwai fans 

Also gives you a chance of getting Stanley Kubrick on vinyl without tracking down Mogwai EP

It's probably for Die Hard Mogwai fans 

Also gives you a chance of getting Stanley Kubrick on vinyl without tracking down Mogwai EP

but "Die Hard Mogwai fans" own the Mogwai EP – like yours truly. ;)

I get what you're saying, and in a way you're probably right.  I can't see a newcomer to the band deciding that this will be the most practical way to get into Mogwai.  If I could get over my adamant tendencies to listen to albums in full, I'd probably consider springing for this.  But having that track list reimagined in a series of BBC sessions would be the best... and would leave a smoldering hole in my wallet, I'm sure.

Yeah, I still don't own MFMK, actually.

I saw a tweet a while ago from Chemikal, where they publicly toyed with the idea of [re]pressing EP+6.  I know the EP is difficult to find at a reasonable price, but those "+6" tracks are so damn good, too.  I've always wanted to own those on vinyl, but had to settle for the CD some time ago.  I really hope it happens.

This would be cool for someone who doesn't already have most of their records, but as a another who has just about all of their LPs on vinyl already, I'll be sitting out. The rarities aren't really all that rare.

This did remind me to grab My Father My King finally.

Sitting this one out as well.

Definitely getting this. It's worth it for the last 2LPs (CD3) as some of those songs weren't available on vinyl (Earth Division) and/or would be nice to have on a proper album (MFMK, Hassenheide).

Earth Division is on the Earth Division EP.

• 1 month later...

More Mogwai goodness:

http://rockaction.co.uk/news/2369/mogwai_score_atomic_screenings_this_week

They have scored a BBC TV program called Atomic: Living in Dread and Promise. It can be watched here (will probably require some internet jiggery pokery; proxy servers etc. if you aren't in the UK):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b065y1dx/storyville-20142015-27-atomic-living-in-dread-and-promise

It is possible to download the program to keep, but PM me if you want to do that.

Also this:

http://rockaction.co.uk/news/2349/mogwai_release_rockact81r_rum_tomorrow

http://www.thegoodspiritsco.com/index.php

If you are outside the UK and are enough of a Mogwai completist to want this, PM me, but it will not be cheap and may take a while (I don't live far from the store selling it).