Knowing When to Give Up Being a Completionist/Variant Collector?

I'm 5 EoaY 7"s away from being caught up. :) I normally start actively looking for one I'm missing once I wear myself out on the last one I got. I've heard some rumours of some demo tapes, but I've never really seen any confirmation that they exist. I hope they're not real things because finding those would might be rather difficult.

The Warm demo tapes are very real and I'm an idiot for not picking some up way back in the day.

I'm 5 EoaY 7"s away from being caught up. :)  I normally start actively looking for one I'm missing once I wear myself out on the last one I got.  I've heard some rumours of some demo tapes, singleve never really seen any confirmation that they exist.  I hope they're not real things because finding those would might be rather difficult.

when I looked at all the recent gbv reunion 7 inches(I think about 25) and realized I would never listen to any of them ever again it was a no brainer. I sold off those..all his solo and some others. Kept all gbv full lengths...some 7 inches(more ep type), all the boston spaceship and circus devils and various other bands

it was a relief

I have been collecting since the mid-90s and used to want every pressing/variant for all of my favorite bands.  I probably went way overboard on some of them. I loved listening to my records, but I eventually became a collector.

Then, my entire collection and 2 turntables were completely destroyed in a flash flood.  For months I couldn't even think about it, let alone how I was going to replace them all (the insurance company would not cover them, or course).  Finally, after about 11 months, I replaced my turntable, but my method for buying records changed completely.

Now, I only buy LPs from my favorite recordings, the ones that I really want to listen to on vinyl (more than just once, and no purchases just to know they are in my collection).  To boil it down, I made a "desert island" list of albums, and went from there. The worst part is the random records I paid around $15 for when I bought them new, and are now going for over $150 used. Aside from that, I now spend more time listening to the records I love, looking for the great albums I don't have on LP, and zero time worrying about my discography on the shelves.  

Then, my entire collection and 2 turntables were completely destroyed in a flash flood.

That explains the name... What a shitty story man. That makes me sad :(

Ultimately though, it sounds like it's actually helped you appreciate the music more, which is really what we all love.

Can't personally justify variant collecting. Just seems like a waste of money when I could be buying something else. I get why people do it though, we all have our different tastes.

I think its like anything, if it becomes a strain financially or otherwise, it needs to stop. It's no different to any other hobby in that respect, but I guess for others there comes a time when you just grow out of it, or get bored of it, or whatever.

WOW! Thank you all for the input!

I guess the best way to sum it up, after reading all of your replies is, that it does feel like it is a chore and a major time/financial burden to keep up with.

When the 3rd round of represses comes out and I have to shell out $100 bucks just to make sure my collection for one band stays "complete" I'm just mad and feel compelled to do it for no other reason than to say "I STILL have every pressing" Now multiply that by about 20 bands on round 4 and 5 of represses, and I'm eating Ramen and ice cubes every month. LOL!

I had a house fire almost 3 years ago and thought I was going to lose most of my collection due to smoke. Luckily they were in an enclosed cabinet and were saved from the smoke damage that nearly everything else I owned incurred.

Now that my collection has tripled in size, I still keep them in an enclosed cabinet. But I have to agree with Flood, if I were to lose the collection, I would NEVER get the value from Insurance that I paid for it, and to build it back up, would cost me double( IF I could find the all pieces.) That being said, if they did all get ruined, that would cause me to quit the game completely.

Again, thank you all for the feedback. I think it is time for this completionist to scale back in a major way on the "every pressing ever" mentality.

Something to think about (and it's easy to figure this out if your collection is on Discogs) is how many new albums you could buy if you sold off your variants (keep your favourite/artist variant).

Most of the time its not a 1:1 ratio. Depending on the rarity you might be able to by 100 albums by selling 20 variants.

I got into the variant game for The Chariot/'68 in order to do my part to help show that pressing albums on vinyl was a good investment for them.

Now that I've had to break up my 100% complete collection Im thinking I'll still buy all new variants in order to support the band, but not worry about it if I miss out on one because it sell out. And I'd probably sell/trade off all but my favourite/rarest along the way.

I used to do it with Baroness. It wasn't too bad. 1-3 copies of each album. Then they signed to Relapse. Next thing you know Blue Album is on a dozen different colors including the elusive and expensive clear vinyl, and I'm out.

I will still buy every single variant of Sigur Ros that comes out. I just bought my 3rd copy of Ágætis Byrjun (test press) and I'll buy the special edition when it comes out.

Hello, my name is Don.

"Hello, Don."

I used to variant collect about 10 bands, then the multiple represses game went into high gear, so that chopped off 6 or 7 of them. So there is one answer, the multiple represses money scheme.

The few I still am completist on - includes TP's - are not into the multiple represses, OR HAVE DISBANDED. If the active bands start going for the Pink for Breast Cancer or Rainbow for LGBT emo grab,  they will be gone as well.

Buy the music I'm going to love forever (as best as can be guessed, l listen first to whatever I can) in the lowest pressed variant, preferably Black, and avoid Haze at all cost -- except if completist, or just to support the band.  I can dig 'match the artwork' on some as well, but that's not primarily how I roll.

Instead of buying a record I'm not going to listen to, I'll buy a shirt or other merch, or I have even bought tickets to shows I can never get to and give them away to support the band.

Just like other collectibles, I have also had my kids involved,so I know what things they might like one day (Sigur Ros: Takk for example), and others, to take to the record shoppe, or put them for sale here.

The cash grab really did it for me and took the wind out of my sails.

I guess it really isn't as much OCD as it is a true appreciation for music.

...or just plain hoarding.

No offense to anyone but the variant game has always seemed useless to me. I see no use of storing a back-up copy as I don't plan on ruining any of the LPs on the shelf. Granted no one does but during my years I've only had one record ruined due to leaving it unattended for the cat to DJ. Learned from that mistake and won't make it twice.

The true rationalist in me has trouble justififying buying all this 'unecessary' plastic to begin with so variant collecting to me would simply be insane. Plus, with the length of my wantlist, I imagine it would take 5-7 years to amass half of what's on there. Don't even want to think how long it would take if I were to collect variants as well. When you can barely afford to have a single copy of everything you're looking for, why go for variants?

I can have a look at other variants online if I ever feel the need to but I only truly 'need' one copy spin and appreciate an album. I'd still like to consider myself more of an appreciator of music than a 'collector' but in all reality when some stuff two-three years old is already just sitting there you start questioning the necessity of getting it in the first place.

Personally I go for discographies myself but I have a serious problem with preferring coloured (if there is any) over black and always choose the variant that works best with the artwork and/or vibe I get from the album. Even then, I can definitely sense the collector impulse taking away from appreciating the music when an unfortunate black LP somehow lands in my possession and I immediately feel the need to hunt down the one matching the artwork and get rid of the black one. Feels quite idiotic really.

I try to instill into myself the (very true) notion that I am very lucky to be able to collect my favourite music in physical form in the first place, which is enough to quiet the insane collector in me.

/another Abe Simpson VS clouds rant