So this sucks - Ikea shelving question

Walked into my house to find this mess last night. Ikea Besta. Top shelf collapsed and made the bottom shelf break. End result - about 250 records on my floor. Fortunately it looked like a domino effect and they slid down and I've only seen 2 that were damaged.

Anybody else use the Besta? Anyone ever deal with Ikea's shelving warranty? I couldn't find this unit online anymore so I'm not sure if they discontinued it, but probably looking at getting a Kallax if they don't replace it.

11062647_10104725557985760_6563657717818

My condolences.

Besta is beyond me, and clearly doesn't live up to its name.  Expedit was the model I was introduced to, which has since been replaced by Kallax.  I haven't heard much about their warranty, because - and not to point fingers - it seems like a lot of people use their shelves, and cases of collapse are extremely far and new (and usually on account of poor decisions, like not following proper directions when assembling, filling them on their sides, etc.).  I'm not suggesting you or your assembly skills are at fault – there's a good chance the materials just aged and gave out.  Especially since I couldn't even tell you when IKEA stopped selling the Besta line.

Yeah. It's less than 4 years old (this is really the only idea I have because I found a picture from 2011 and its not there), never been taken apart - always been in the same place. Not sure if the weight of having the shelf full of records caused it or what. I got the Besta because the turntable fit on the 2nd shelf (thank god this is the one without the turntable - and I've since removed a few records from the shelf about the turntable just to be safe). When the first one filled up I got a 2nd one for the other side of my tv stand. Wanted it to be symmetrical or I'd have gone with the Expedit.

Guest Secular Haze

There will be a Hot Topic exclusive busted Besta.

How many did they press?

Will I have to stay up all night to get one?

Can I use my Hot Cash on it?

Thats an image straight out of a nightmare.

Also, your coffee table is giving me anxiety. Clear that shit off.

Yeahhh some of that stuff was on one of the shelves. The whole house is giving me anxiety right now. I really need a new shelving unit

Did you have it sideways, so the small shelves were across and not for support?

No it's vertical. I'll take a picture of it and the other one when I get home.