I think you fellas are forgetting about a little band called Black Sabbath, who happen to ACTUALLY be the greatest of all time ;)

This illustrates a point though, and that is: the reason there isn't a thread about this is because everyone else knows that it could just go on and on with everyone making a thread for their favorite band :/ Ain't nobody got time for that.

That actually wasn't even the point. I really do just love the Clash, and just wanted to talk about them a little bit. And they're a band whose catalogue is mostly in print on vinyl, so there's not so much discussion about new releases or whatever, so I just figured i'd start a thread. 

You're definitely right though that technically anybody could start a thread about their favourite band. At least I put it in the everything else thread...

That actually wasn't even the point. I really do just love the Clash, and just wanted to talk about them a little bit. And they're a band whose catalogue is mostly in print on vinyl, so there's not so much discussion about new releases or whatever, so I just figured i'd start a thread. 

You're definitely right though that technically anybody could start a thread about their favourite band. At least I put it in the everything else thread...

Not knocking you for starting the thread or anything, just pointing out why it probably hasn't been done. Small talk is also a good place for things like this ::shrug:: no skin off my back, although I may start a Black Sabbath thread later out of spite. ;)

I have always found the Clash to be polarizing, much in the same way as Seinfeld (which I don't mind, but only in small doses). 

I totally understand why some folks don't have the same love of them as I do. I feel like you either get them or you don't...I suppose I just really get them...

And more on topic, London Calling is my all-time favourite album, but I have this total love for Sandinista - it's such a clusterfuck of a mess with some absolute gems and a borderline unlistenable side 6. Partly the same reason I love Fleetwood Mac's Tusk. 

I have always found the Clash to be polarizing, much in the same way as Seinfeld

And more on topic, London Calling is my all-time favourite album, but I have this total love for Sandinista - it's such a clusterfuck of a mess with some absolute gems and a borderline unlistenable side 6. Partly the same reason I love Fleetwood Mac's Tusk. 

This is what I meant too.

I love Seinfeld and I think The Clash were definitely an influential band. I enjoy listening to them in small doses, but it's hard for me to actually sit through a whole album by them. (Their S/T is probably my favorite, followed by LC. Beyond that I'm not crazy about them.)

Believe it or not, even though I've been a bit snarky about The Clash I actually own two copies of London Calling. A first press, and a white label promo, because I used to really love it, but I think I overplayed it, or grew past my love of it somehow. I also just don't enjoy punk in general as much as I did when I was younger.

I am a huge Clash fan. Their S/T is my favorite, but London Calling is very close. They were eclectic without sounding annoying. I don't ever need to hear, "Rock the Casbah" again, but that isn't The Clash to me. The b-side of Combat Rock is the best side. 

Legit question: which S/T? The British or American version? 

British version: 

A1 Janie Jones 2:05

A2 Remote Control 3:00

A3 I'm So Bored With The U.S.A. 2:24

A4 White Riot 1:55 A5 Hate & War 2:04

A6 What's My Name 1:40

A7 Deny 3:03

A8 London's Burning 2:10

B1 Career Opportunities 1:51

B2 Cheat 2:06

B3 Protex Blue 1:46

B4 Police & Thieves 6:00

B5 48 Hours 1:34

B6 Garage Land 3:13

American version: 

A1 Clash City Rockers 3:55

A2 I'm So Bored With The U.S.A. 2:24

A3 Remote Control 3:00

A4 Complete Control 3:12

A5 White Riot 1:58

A6 White Man In Hammersmith Palais 3:58

A7 London's Burning 2:10

A8 I Fought The Law 2:40

B1 Janie Jones 2:00

B2 Career Opportunities 1:58

B3 What's My Name 1:40

B4 Hate And War 2:05

B5 Police And Thieves 5:58

B6 Jail Guitar Doors 3:05

B7 Garageland 3:09

I think I prefer the American version predominantly because of White Man In Hammersmith Palais...

Legit question: which S/T? The British or American version? 

British version: 

A1 Janie Jones 2:05

A2 Remote Control 3:00

A3 I'm So Bored With The U.S.A. 2:24

A4 White Riot 1:55 A5 Hate & War 2:04

A6 What's My Name 1:40

A7 Deny 3:03

A8 London's Burning 2:10

B1 Career Opportunities 1:51

B2 Cheat 2:06

B3 Protex Blue 1:46

B4 Police & Thieves 6:00

B5 48 Hours 1:34

B6 Garage Land 3:13

American version: 

A1 Clash City Rockers 3:55

A2 I'm So Bored With The U.S.A. 2:24

A3 Remote Control 3:00

A4 Complete Control 3:12

A5 White Riot 1:58

A6 White Man In Hammersmith Palais 3:58

A7 London's Burning 2:10

A8 I Fought The Law 2:40

B1 Janie Jones 2:00

B2 Career Opportunities 1:58

B3 What's My Name 1:40

B4 Hate And War 2:05

B5 Police And Thieves 5:58

B6 Jail Guitar Doors 3:05

B7 Garageland 3:09

I think I prefer the American version predominantly because of White Man In Hammersmith Palais...

I've always had the American on vinyl. That is what I grew up with, so I will go with that.

The Clash have been one of my favorite bands since I discovered them way back in the mid-90s after getting into punk through Green Day and the Offspring. The day Joe Strummer died, I called my brother to break the news and cried on the phone with him.  I think Streetcore is the best thing Strummer ever made, including all Clash records, and I also think Sandinista! is suuuuuper-underrated. My favorite Clash song is "Straight To Hell" and I got so bummed when M.I.A. sampled it.

Also, I have never, ever, ever listened to Cut The Crap, with the exception of hearing "This Is England" in passing once or twice. I just can't do it.