How did you get into Post-Rock?

Autumn 1995. One of my friends moved out of our flat and in with two other people. One of her new flatmates was going out with a guitarist/singer in a band called Eska. Through this couple I met Dominic Aitchison and John Cummings who were in a band called Mogwai, who at that point were just one of many Glasweigan bands playing gigs. Went to a few of their shows including the release show for Tuner/Lower where Dominic split Guinness on my copy (which I let go for a lot less than people are paying for them now). I left Glasgow and the last time I saw them for many years was at the 1996 Camden Crawl in London. The next time I saw them play was on the main stage at Glastonbury in 2003.

In related news, John Cummings left Mogwai two days ago to 'pursue his own projects'. I don't have any insider knowledge; it's on Wikipedia.

How did I get into US Post Rock bands like Caspian is a much shorter story. drds89.

This thread made me want to listen to Young Mountain. I don't care how much hate it gets, it still does it for me.

Whatever happened to the best albums / artist of the month (etc) that was supposed to happen in the post instrumental thread?

That's my favorite album by them. Easily.

But really, what did happen? I was supposed to design some sweet headers and work with others to format those first few posts elaborately. I was thinking about that just the other day.

I vote this becomes a thing again. It would be nice to have a solid organized catalog to sift through. and any excuse to see some classic DerekTM clean and aesthetically pleasing designs is a good excuse.

Gumbo happened.

But really, what did happen? I was supposed to design some sweet headers and work with others to format those first few posts elaborately. I was thinking about that just the other day.

Ya'll can probably blame me.  I think I started the conversation on that and then just let it fall away.  I should probably start by updating that master list on the first page with bands referenced.  But I agree, we need to bring that back into the mix!  Was a great idea!

I say for each band listed, we get one or two Gumbo sentences describing each band.

"FUCKINGHEAVYASSHIT AHHHHH LOSE YOUR DAMN MIND!!!!!!!!!! HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!! BONER JAMS!!!! PG. LOST!!!!!!!

Hahaha  :D

One sentence form him could be a few pages.

Would be much better if Gumbo was "featured" under each album description/review and he's allowed 3 words.

GUMBO'S 3 WORD REVIEW:

"orgasmic ear-jaculation pinnacle"

"transcendental archival masterwork"

"incredulously precocious pandemic"

I vote this becomes a thing again. It would be nice to have a solid organized catalog to sift through. and any excuse to see some classic DerekTM clean and aesthetically pleasing designs is a good excuse.

Making me all blushy and shit, over here.

We should abandon the star-rating system we had going, and instead go with Gumbo Analogies. You know you've stumbled across something good if you can get at least 3 references to flying from one album.

Back to the topic at hand for me...

I honestly believe the seed for my post-rock love was planted when I was a wee lad.  I used to love listening to my mom's Ray Lynch tape which was just some dude jamming out on a synthesizer, all instrumental.  Not post-rock at all, but I loved the concept of all instrumental music.  I also was a big Phil Collins fan, and one of my favorite Genesis songs ended up being The Brazilian (again, not at all post-rock, but all instrumental).  Skipping ahead about 20 years though, I stumbled across this band called Russian Circles right around the time Geneva came out.  It the first time I had heard of a "heavy instrumental band" and was intrigued.  I loved the album right away.  The title track was insane.  It took a while for me to further develop my interest in post-rock (being slow to try new things), so I settled on them for a while.  I don't think it was until I saw If These Trees Could Talk open for Russian Circles when my interest in post-rock exploded.  That, on top of frequently visiting here and just getting endless recommendations really helped develop my interest.

On top of all of that, I've always been an influence on my younger brother when it comes to music, so I was able to get him to come to a few shows (most notably Caspian & ITTCT), and he was hooked as well.  Now he is my partner in crime when it comes to attending post-rock related shows.  My wife will tag along occasionally, but is just a casual "I'll see them live but not really go out of my way to routinely listen to them" person.  So really it's me and my brother (in real life) that can share our love for this type of music.

Overall, I just like being able to focus on instrumentation without a singer dragging it down.  Plus, 10-minute songs FTW.  And my love for Cloudkicker stems from the fact that he is able to build a song usually focused on one main riff with layers upon layers gradually building throughout the whole song.  Too many times great riffs are cut too short, and I love that he doesn't do that.  And his funky time signatures are always great.  Keeps his songs from getting stale.

Ya'll can probably blame me.  I think I started the conversation on that and then just let it fall away.  I should probably start by updating that master list on the first page with bands referenced.  But I agree, we need to bring that back into the mix!  Was a great idea!

I say for each band listed, we get one or two Gumbo sentences describing each band.

"FUCKINGHEAVYASSHIT AHHHHH LOSE YOUR DAMN MIND!!!!!!!!!! HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!! BONER JAMS!!!! PG. LOST!!!!!!!

Hahaha  :D

lol. I laughed.

The PG.Lost bit at the end is what makes it haha

We can never forget this majestic analogy:

That link only has 3 songs on it now????

EDIT: Wow, Rioseco is absolutely fucking stunning. What a track. Very different dynamic level for Caspian to maintain for a song. It's like Caspian in a fancy nightgown dress at a ball thrown by the local drug kingpin: beautiful and light, but dark.

EDIT 2: Jesus Christ... Arcs of Command. Good fucking lord... Wow. This might be my new favorite Caspian song. This tune just does not quit.

Making me all blushy and shit, over here.

// A Love Letter //

We all know you not only have an aesthetically pleasing formatting structure, great taste in music, PS, but you're also the nicest fucker, yet entertaining fucker at that, I've ever met on here. Plus you are god damn handsome as hell. You won the genetic lottery, but then were placed in the middle of fucking nowhere CA to make up for it.

I should have used some nice type face in AI, made an album cover flow of the playlist I made to type of this short love letter, and then posted it. Or even better, taken calligraphy classes, invested in a fountain pen, written the letter, made you a mixtape to go with it (of said playlist), sealed it with wax [and a kiss], and had a carrier dressed in robes hand deliver it to you on your lunch break at work.

Fuck, might as well at least make the Spotify playlist: https://open.spotify.com/user/matt_photographs/playlist/2lj4xaXIC5dfR3DQac40iR

Notice how the number '1' repeats, Derek? That's cause you're my '1'. You're the only one for me. Stop denying your feelings.

yLflCGh.png

//Song //Artist //Album // Time

+ Heavy Water / I'd Rather Be Sleeping | Grouper | Dragging A Dead Deer Up A Hill | 2:52

+ Quiet | This Will Destroy You | Young Mountain | 4:52

+ Qarqom | Toundra | IV | 9:38

+ Ríoseco | Caspian | Dust And Disquiet | 7:52

+ Steps And Numbers | The Appleseed Cast | Low Level Owl, Vol. 1+2 | 5:54

+ I am destroyer | pg.lost | Key | 9:18

+ All I Understand Is That I Don't Understand | toe | The Book About My Idle Plot On Vague Anxiety | 4:54

+ Bedside Table | Bedhead | 1992-1998 | 4:44

+ D | Codeine | Frigid Stars | 4:28

+ Saturday | Christie Front Drive | Stereo | 4:28

+ With One's Heart In One's Mouth | Moving Mountains | Foreward | 9:49

tumblr_mbuyhsoSUF1r59xvd.gif

Well I'll be damned.  I don't even know what to say, haha.  I think this is probably the first Spotify playlist that someone has catered specifically for me.  Way too much good stuff in there.  You know me too well Matt.

(But, hold up.  How are you aware of what I look like?  That I've got to know...)

I remember in HS a few friends like Explosions so I listened and I thought it was trash so I didn't listen again for many years.  Bands like Caspian and Mogwai and Moving Mountains would always pass through my ears with appraisal, but I never listened.  mostly out of laziness.

There was that Mogwai thread on here and when it was posted or bumped, it reminded me of someone saying a long time ago that Mogwai was the loudest band they had ever seen.  I finally listened and it just clicked.  I like Explosions now too, but they are nowhere near where other post rock bands are.

I think it's really awesome how when music you didn't like when you were younger could become your favorite when you're older.

I remember in HS a few friends like Explosions so I listened and I thought it was trash so I didn't listen again for many years. Bands like Caspian and Mogwai and Moving Mountains would always pass through my ears with appraisal, but I never listened. mostly out of laziness.

There was that Mogwai thread on here and when it was posted or bumped, it reminded me of someone saying a long time ago that Mogwai was the loudest band they had ever seen. I finally listened and it just clicked. I like Explosions now too, but they are nowhere near where other post rock bands are.

I think it's really awesome how when music you didn't like when you were younger could become your favorite when you're older.

Good times in that Mogwai thread. I think it may have been Bronchitis who admitted that they're one of the loudest bands he's ever heard.

I can relate to your post specifically, because albums like Young Team and CODY did very little for me in high school, but are now probably two of my favorite post-rock records of all time. It's wild how tastes change and are impacted by an appreciation for other genres and artists, over the years.